This Boomer Isn't Going to Apologize

Exactly what I was going to say huKSer. If I was that child I would have gotten my butt handed to me right there in the mall. Problem is those a generation older than me have decided that it is abuse and I would go to jail for doing the same to my child now.

**SNIP**

College for many is no longer an opportunity for rich kids. It's a must for almost all students. However there is nothing in this country that has accelerated in price like universities and colleges, with the one exception of healthcare. Just since I have left HS 10 years ago the cost per hour to attend my Alma matter has doubled.

**SNIP**

College was always expensive. You should have heard my classmates bitching when "The Daily Half-askan" (the NU student paper) announced that the next year tuition was going to be OVER $20 per credit hour!!

As far as NEEDING a 4 year college degree, I tell my students to consider 2 year colleges: great demand for technical jobs (my son has a KU degree in economics, poly sci and no job) health care, HVAC plumbing. But especially copier repair: its indoors, pays well, you are not around your boss and people love to see you.

Whatever you do, stay away from the airline industry!!! It is always the hardest hit during recessions, an falls on it's face at the first signs of financial weakness. Mainly due to the fact that nearly all of the regulators and owner/operators in the business are inept, greedy fools. Add to that the unions and their cronies, and you have a recipe for disaster...............after disaster........................after disaster........

Trust me, it's just not worth it.

:rant

Exactly what I was going to say huKSer. If I was that child I would have gotten my butt handed to me right there in the mall. Problem is those a generation older than me have decided that it is abuse and I would go to jail for doing the same to my child now.

**SNIP**

College for many is no longer an opportunity for rich kids. It's a must for almost all students. However there is nothing in this country that has accelerated in price like universities and colleges, with the one exception of healthcare. Just since I have left HS 10 years ago the cost per hour to attend my Alma matter has doubled.

**SNIP**

College was always expensive. You should have heard my classmates bitching when "The Daily Half-askan" (the NU student paper) announced that the next year tuition was going to be OVER $20 per credit hour!!

As far as NEEDING a 4 year college degree, I tell my students to consider 2 year colleges: great demand for technical jobs (my son has a KU degree in economics, poly sci and no job) health care, HVAC plumbing. But especially copier repair: its indoors, pays well, you are not around your boss and people love to see you.

It has gotten crazy over the past few years. I remember nearly 10 years ago, my first semester was $78 a credit hr. I went to NWMSU instead of MU because MU was $151 a hour at that time. Fast forward 4 years and NWMSU was $145.

you dont really "need" a degree to find work. It just depends on what type of work you want. If I could do it all over again I would have changed my major. hindsight is always 20-20.

I think the general idea of this tread should cause the title to be changed to "its always someone elses fault" or "back in my day"

:clap

Every generation has intelligent, polite people who contribute to society in a positive way. Every generation also has people who do nothing but suck oxygen and be worthless to society.

It's probably a bit foolish to say that "GENERATION X CAUSED THE END OF THE WORLD!!" because every generation is going to have a batch of losers.

My HS history teacher had a quote framed in her room, paraphrasing:

"Today's youth are lazy, no good have poor morals. They don't appreciate the hard work we had to go through for them. The world is doomed."

Socates 540 BC

This has been going on for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

**SNIP**

**SNIP**

Associate degres, tech schools, learning how to do something. You are so, sooo right.

T_O_B

The focus in our high schools is to much on college. Most high school counselors are of absolutely no use to 80% of those kids they are PAID to counsel. Tech schools, two year degrees, fix a computer, an AC unit, a furnace, nurses, CNA's, barbers and stylists, carpenters, brick layers, on and on and on. These people are needed and needed badly. College should not be the goal for every young person. School Districts should not be graded on how many kids go to college, they should be graded on how many they graduate and then have go on to lead productive lives.

T_O_B

**SNIP**

**SNIP**

It has gotten crazy over the past few years. I remember nearly 10 years ago, my first semester was $78 a credit hr. I went to NWMSU instead of MU because MU was $151 a hour at that time. Fast forward 4 years and NWMSU was $145.

you dont really "need" a degree to find work. It just depends on what type of work you want. If I could do it all over again I would have changed my major. hindsight is always 20-20.

I think the general idea of this tread should cause the title to be changed to "its always someone elses fault" or "back in my day"

I think you might be amazed at the number of companies who want A Degree, but dont care what the degree is in. I know of a few that, for a corporate buyer position, require a degree, even if it is in ancient Greek history, or nutrition, or whatever. Which IMO is just pure stupidity. Its sad, but experience is valued less than an unrelated degree is many places.

The focus in our high schools is to much on college. Most high school counselors are of absolutely no use to 80% of those kids they are PAID to counsel. Tech schools, two year degrees, fix a computer, an AC unit, a furnace, nurses, CNA's, barbers and stylists, carpenters, brick layers, on and on and on. These people are needed and needed badly. College should not be the goal for every young person. School Districts should not be graded on how many kids go to college, they should be graded on how many they graduate and then have go on to lead productive lives.

T_O_B

:yeah

When I was going to high school they never even brought up any of those as options. Since junior high they drill the mind set that without a college degree that you will be a hopeless loser. They never mention that many of those trade skills pay more than the jobs most college graduates make.

**SNIP**

**SNIP**

I think you might be amazed at the number of companies who want A Degree, but dont care what the degree is in. I know of a few that, for a corporate buyer position, require a degree, even if it is in ancient Greek history, or nutrition, or whatever. Which IMO is just pure stupidity. Its sad, but experience is valued less than an unrelated degree is many places.

Too many companies just want to know that you can be educated and if you have a dgree that supposedly means you can be educated. Kind of leades to far too many of us hating what we do in life.

T_O_B

Wow, way to pat yourselves on the back Boomers! I find it hilarious that the under 25 crowd can be blamed for all socio-economic woos in our country today. While previous generations (ie: the ones making the poor decisions) are not only not responsible for the policies that brought this country to it's knees, but should be treated as heroes for the few problems they did "solve".

And you wonder why there is a SEVERE lack of accountability permeating society today. :facepalm:

Sorry 'huskerbob' I spent 2 hours floting in the ocean with the remains of a pilot shot down over Viet Nam.

We got him home for his family ( way too many families still do not have closure). I don't hold you accountable for anything just recognize what we did for you and take responsibility for what you do.

T_O_B

Thanks for doing what you did. Thie thing about war is you didn't have an option. Whether you agreed with it or not you did it.

I'm finding out now my father went through a lot tough time with Vietnam than I was ever told as a young kid (I'm 32 now). My dad was a door gunner on those Bell Huey's. He was shot down 4 times and obviously lived, but one time just barely.

**SNIP**

**SNIP**

Too many companies just want to know that you can be educated and if you have a dgree that supposedly means you can be educated. Kind of leades to far too many of us hating what we do in life.

T_O_B

TOB is right that its more about "can you learn" and "are you educated" then it is about what your degree is in. And really the only way to overcome the need for a BS in those jobs in to have what they consider to be an equal in years experiance.

And strigori you are absolutly right as well about not caring in what your major was. I worked for an insurance compnay managing their accounts. There were 10 people in my position. ANd our majors were the following

2-I.T.

4-Marketing

1-Broadcasting

2-Management/Business

1-Poly Sci