Has the Big 12 become a passing conference?

NUance

You know, a lot of teams are pass happy, but OU and Texas are the current flagships and neither runs the pass happy version of the spread. Neither do the Huskers, and Iowa State is going with a more run focused spread if i am understanding right. Really, most of the conference is not running pass happy offenses, it is just KU, MU and of course Tech (playing against spread teams raises scores, not just being them) plus you have just had a bunch of good QBs in the last few years and that combonation has throw our numbers way up.

Last year we were a conference absolutely STACKED with quality quarterbacks and some pretty damn good receivers as well. You've got to have at least 2-3 seasons of consistent numbers before you can declare a shift in offensive philosophy. We didn't have a lot of great running backs last year, either, so we have to take it all in perspective.

I really like what Oklahoma State is currently running. They can pass with the best of them (see the games against Texas and Oklahoma), but they can also run the ball exceptionally well.

I think this diversity kept them in alot of games last year in spite of their D.

But to answer: yes, I think a majority of teams are trying to spread the field and find the open receiver. I also think the team that goes against this idea will eventually have a competitive advantage over all others in the Big 12.

Big 12 Passing 2008 (top half of Big 12)

B12(Nat’l) team ypg

1(1) Texas Tech 413.15

2(3) Oklahoma 349.36

3(4) Missouri 330.36

4(7) Texas 308.31

5(8) Kansas 305.62

6(15) Nebraska 281.00

ncaa passing stats

Big 12 Rushing 2008

1(8) Oklahoma St. 245.46

2(20) Oklahoma 198.50

3(21) Baylor 195.75

4(37) Nebraska 169.77

5(41) Texas 167.46

6(52) Missouri 153.79

ncaa rushing stats

You have to admit that our national ranks do tend towards throwing the ball. Of the B12 teams listed above for passing, I suspect Mizzou will drop off a bit with newbie Blaine Gabbert at the helm. NU will stay about the same. The other four—TT, OU, UT KU—will prolly be just as pass happy as last year maybe more.