VT Backfield Issues?

jjamuss

There is a reason that VT is rated 7th in the nation. It is not because they only have 1st teamers and a bunch of unknown quality players behind them. They will be ready to play and we better be on our A game and not worry about who is not in there and concentrate on who is in there. We can win this game but then again so can they. The best prepared and motivated team will win.

GBR

A lot of it has to do with the fact that it's an unholy crapshoot after the top three teams, Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. There isn't a team in the top 25 that isn't suspect in some way. Don't get too concerned with that #7 ranking. If I had to guess, I'd say we're in for another top 25 carousel like we had in 2007, where top teams get knocked off by unranked teams over and over.

Terrell Davis= 6th round- 196th overall

Olandis Gary= 4th round- 120th overall

Mike Anderson= 6th round- 189th overall

Clinton Portis=- 2nd round- 51st overall

It's not like these were first round guys, they picked Ruben Drougns off the free agent market and turned him into a 1000 yard rusher. The same line techniques that Denver used found their way to Atlanta, and the results have been the same since.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, they had a great line back when they were a running back factory..not everyone in the NFL was in love with some of their blocking techniques but that's another argument for another day. I guess my only point is had you asked the Packers in 97 who they'd rather face in the Denver's backfield for the Superbowl Vaughn Hebron or Terell Davis, they'd probably have opted for Hebron, even though he played behind the same line. That's it. Also during that time Denver had guys like Elway, Smith, Sharpe and McCaffrey for def coords to worry about too. If a team's number one guy is out, you hope you can take advantage. But, as someone else pointed out, the real threat with VT is Taylor. He needs to be contained.

The health of the offensive line has a far greater impact on a team's running game than which RB totes the rock-usually.

Huh? An average back behind an outstanding line looks like an average back. An outstanding back behind an average line looks like an outstanding back. Yes, a steady O line is a big part of any running game, but to say that because you have a good line a coach can put anyone with cleats on back there and get the same results as his number one guy is just wrong.

Denver Broncos?

EDIT: OK, mentioned already

Well, seeing the title of this thread, i feel compelled to say, we have backfield issues as well.

We have an unexperienced QB who is going into his FIRST away game against a rowdy VT crowd, our talent at RB is looking a little less shiny (minus Castille), and we have unproven WRs.

Now all im saying, is that this is going to be one hell of a game. Not really for VT, but more for us. As Jason Peter put it, that first road game in Blacksburg, Va., will be the true test of "what's pumping" inside Zac Lee - "if it's the real thing or if it's just Kool-Aid."

This is the first real test that our football team will face, yes we almost won last year, but the Offense is not coming back this year. So i for one, am not going to be cocky as say that Huskers are going to whoop-butt. I am going to be watching with close eyes to see how well the Huskers play against a ranked team, win or lose. Because seeing how they play determines how far along they are, and whether they win or lose will determine how the rest of the season goes.

Well, seeing the title of this thread, i feel compelled to say, we have backfield issues as well.

We have an unexperienced QB who is going into his FIRST away game against a rowdy VT crowd, our talent at RB is looking a little less shiny (minus Castille), and we have unproven WRs.

Now all im saying, is that this is going to be one hell of a game. Not really for VT, but more for us. As Jason Peter put it, that first road game in Blacksburg, Va., will be the true test of "what's pumping" inside Zac Lee - "if it's the real thing or if it's just Kool-Aid."

This is the first real test that our football team will face, yes we almost won last year, but the Offense is not coming back this year. So i for one, am not going to be cocky as say that Huskers are going to whoop-butt. I am going to be watching with close eyes to see how well the Huskers play against a ranked team, win or lose. Because seeing how they play determines how far along they are, and whether they win or lose will determine how the rest of the season goes.

I think the Huskers have as good of a chance to beat us in Blacksburg as any other team. In fact, if we lose at Lane this season I am pretty sure it will be to the Huskers. If your O-line can keep the pressure you have a chance. Our crowd gets rowdy. I go to all away games and I am pretty sure that very few stadiums are more "hostile" than Lane. Lee will be solid and if he can handle the Blacksburg "bounce" he will be one heck of a QB. Your D will be the class of the Big 12, and if your O-line can give Lee some time he will be solid by week 3. I still think our team will be hard to beat at Lane, but I would not be surprised if both our teams will be in the top 10 by the end of the season. Not to be too cocky, but Lane is one heck of a place for a visiting team. We are LOUD. However, if we lose at home this season, I would rather that be to the Huskers. Classiers fans I could not imagine, and I also know that most of you would probably still pull for us than most of your opponents. In many ways I see us as very similar: no-nonsense Ds with a blue-collar approach to your offense. Less than 3 weeks away...

I think the Huskers have as good of a chance to beat us in Blacksburg as any other team. In fact, if we lose at Lane this season I am pretty sure it will be to the Huskers. If your O-line can keep the pressure you have a chance. Our crowd gets rowdy. I go to all away games and I am pretty sure that very few stadiums are more "hostile" than Lane. Lee will be solid and if he can handle the Blacksburg "bounce" he will be one heck of a QB. Your D will be the class of the Big 12, and if your O-line can give Lee some time he will be solid by week 3. I still think our team will be hard to beat at Lane, but I would not be surprised if both our teams will be in the top 10 by the end of the season. Not to be too cocky, but Lane is one heck of a place for a visiting team. We are LOUD. However, if we lose at home this season, I would rather that be to the Huskers. Classiers fans I could not imagine, and I also know that most of you would probably still pull for us than most of your opponents. In many ways I see us as very similar: no-nonsense Ds with a blue-collar approach to your offense. Less than 3 weeks away...

I looked at your schedule before i posted the above post, VT has three tough games at home this year, in my opinion, Alabama-Miami-Huskers. Im picking for VT to lose at the most 1 home game, and maybe 2 away games. I think your real challenges will be Alabama, Georgia Tech and Virginia. I think if the Huskers win, which i hope they do, it will be a surprise win and a confidence booster for the Huskers. But if VT loses against the Huskers, im sure they will shake it off and get back to winning, after the Huskers its only Georgia Tech and Virginia that stand in their way.