POLL: When will NU win another national title?

When will NU win another national title?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we can pull off the USC game in Lincoln, then we will have a good shot in '07. Otherwise, I have no idea. This year should tell us alot about where Cally is taking us...'06 could be make or break for him...I hope the year under his belt sets him down the right path...

Frank Solich, a good coach?????  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin

He won 75% of his games compared to cally winning about 48%.

Oh, and he went to bowl games every year. Its not quite as spectacular as 5-6, home for the holidays, and a ton of question marks, but about 90% of college teams would be happy with FSs record of success.

Apples and oranges, FormerFan. I'm starting to wonder if you're last name begins with S-O-L and ends with I-C-H. It's hard to argue against the fact that Frank's best season was in 1999. That year NU was 12-1 with a loss at Texas. Comparing Frank's six seasons to Callahan's one is hardly a fair comparison. Over those six seasons, Frank was 1-4 vs Texas and 2-4 vs K-State. Given more games against OU he would have had similar numbers. Frank couldn't win the big game on the road. Given the amount of time that Osborne had to correct that problem isn't possible these days. There's too much at stake. Let's be honest FormerFan, the recruiting fell off the table under the Solich regime. Callahan is rebuilding the team so as to be able to get the top recruits to get us back to the elite of college football.

FF,

As you know I am a big Frank fan, but I can not say he was a good head coach. Being a head coach is more than just winning and losing. It is developing the program, ensuring it is moving forward. Frank failed in recruiting and had since the day he took over. I followed recruiting form the day he took over. Lack of difference makers, short classes, failing to use the system to recruit is where he failed in my mind. If you look at it closely you will see that a 7-7 season should have been a 5-6 season. We should not have been in Shreveport. Our 9-3 season looks good, but 3 losses are what hurt.

But the main thing that got Frank fired was his decession not to follow the instructions of his boss. Direct disobedience does not go over well anywhere. He misjudged his boss.

Saying 90% of the other programs would have been happy with his results is misleading. If that is true, we do not want to be in the that group. The top 10% is where the winners of MNC's reside. That is where we wanted to be. Your idea of 90 out of 100 would want him seems flawed as he ended up at a team that is ranked 110th and it was truly his only sniff at a job. Others that have considerably more knowledge about football than any of us felt he was not qualified to run a major program or he would have been hired. Key would be Tyrone Washington being fired by ND and in two days being at Washington. Florida brings up another situation, South Carolina and on and on. If Frank was truly as qualified as some think he would have been offered those jogs, and not had to settle for Ohio University one year later.

If we can pull off the USC game in Lincoln, then we will have a good shot in '07. Otherwise, I have no idea. This year should tell us alot about where Cally is taking us...'06 could be make or break for him...I hope the year under his belt sets him down the right path...

Do you think we need to win that game or just play them close?

Do you think we need to win that game or just play them close?

Hmm...good question Kramer. I think the win vs. USC in '07 definitely puts us on the right track. A hard fought, close loss still gives us a shot, but there are ALOT of variables:

1)There will be at least two NCO's before that game. One hasn't been scheduled. Going to Wake in Winston-Salem should not be considered a lock.

2)How solid the Big 12 is that year.

3)How everyone else does that year.

4)And the biggie, HOW GOOD IS USC AFTER THEY PLAY US, lose or win? If we'd still want a shot after a close loss to them, we better hope USC goes undefeated.

Those will be determining factors. But, obviously, way too early to figure on anything. But intriguing none the same.

Apples and oranges, FormerFan. I'm starting to wonder if you're last name begins with S-O-L and ends with I-C-H. It's hard to argue against the fact that Frank's best season was in 1999. That year NU was 12-1 with a loss at Texas. Comparing Frank's six seasons to Callahan's one is hardly a fair comparison. Over those six seasons, Frank was 1-4 vs Texas and 2-4 vs K-State. Given more games against OU he would have had similar numbers. Frank couldn't win the big game on the road. Given the amount of time that Osborne had to correct that problem isn't possible these days. There's too much at stake. Let's be honest FormerFan, the recruiting fell off the table under the Solich regime. Callahan is rebuilding the team so as to be able to get the top recruits to get us back to the elite of college football.

I will agree with everything you said, except for your last sentence. cally may bring in some good players, but he does not have what it takes to bring this program back to the elite.

FF,

As you know I am a big Frank fan, but I can not say he was a good head coach. Being a head coach is more than just winning and losing. It is developing the program, ensuring it is moving forward. Frank failed in recruiting and had since the day he took over. I followed recruiting form the day he took over. Lack of difference makers, short classes, failing to use the system to recruit is where he failed in my mind. If you look at it closely you will see that a 7-7 season should have been a 5-6 season. We should not have been in Shreveport. Our 9-3 season looks good, but 3 losses are what hurt.

But the main thing that got Frank fired was his decession not to follow the instructions of his boss. Direct disobedience does not go over well anywhere. He misjudged his boss.

Saying 90% of the other programs would have been happy with his results is misleading. If that is true, we do not want to be in the that group. The top 10% is where the winners of MNC's reside. That is where we wanted to be. Your idea of 90 out of 100 would want him seems flawed as he ended up at a team that is ranked 110th and it was truly his only sniff at a job. Others that have considerably more knowledge about football than any of us felt he was not qualified to run a major program or he would have been hired. Key would be Tyrone Washington being fired by ND and in two days being at Washington. Florida brings up another situation, South Carolina and on and on. If Frank was truly as qualified as some think he would have been offered those jogs, and not had to settle for Ohio University one year later.

I agree with most of what you say, except the point about disobedience. I thought that Frank blew out the old staff to upgrade recruiting and to implement new systems. He just never got the chance.

FF,

Frank basically shut down recruiting from the time fall practice started. Kids were allowed to come but were not recruited actively during that period. He felt game preperations were the most important parts of his job and let the others slip. Some times we can not see the forest for the trees. He worked his but off but did not have the quality onboard to accomplish what needed to be done. His failing to make recruiting a priority was a major complaint of the big boosters, so they quickly got Pederson's ear. Recruiting has always been Pederson number one priority, it was his job at Nebraska to begin with. Business men believe in stocking the shelves with quality items, most felt we did not have the talent we had in he past and it truly became evident in the Colorado game. Once people understood our weakness they planned for it. We had no option(no pun intended) to go to. From some comments I have heard Frank would have had more time if he would have went whole hog into recruiting. He just never liked the job. The year after the firings was no different, not a full class and very few top kids had been contacted. With the losses to major powers being so embarassing, Pederson felt recruiting would not recover under Frank no matter what he did. That according to some very high end boosters is the reason Frank is gone. Take if or what it is worth.

BC was also rebuilding and implanting an entire new system...once his system is in place as it is this year then we can tear him a new one if they go 5-6 but he deserves a season to put in the WCO and let his recruiting machine take effect. So far im very impressed with the recruiting job done by this regime. Now all we need is the rest of his plan to fall into place.

Frank Solich, a good coach?????  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin

He won 75% of his games compared to cally winning about 48%.

Oh, and he went to bowl games every year. Its not quite as spectacular as 5-6, home for the holidays, and a ton of question marks, but about 90% of college teams would be happy with FSs record of success.

Yeah NU won 75% of there games but they wouldn't have gotten ant better. They would have went 9-4 every year, fluxuating 1 game here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not surprised that 3 people voted that... alot of people are doubting NU's ability to make a comeback to the top tier of college football. I know for a fact just browsing around this site that alot of people dont believe BC is the man that will take NU back to the top. 3 people isnt even really that much.