Gilleylen didn't expect to be big part of the offense

SwiftFan87

Curenski Gilleylen reveled in the moment Saturday night, smiling over his four receptions and recounting how he almost fell down on Nebraska’s longest pass play against Florida Atlantic.

Standing a few feet away was teammate Menelik Holt, saying “I told you so.’’

“Curenski is a guy people weren’t really sure about,’’ Holt said. “I’ve been telling you guys for a long time he can make the plays. Finally he did it, so I’m glad he backed up my words.’’

Holt and Niles Paul usually were prominent names in discussions of who would replace Nate Swift and Todd Peterson as the Huskers’ top receivers. Even some newcomers were thrown in when people guessed who might become the favorite targets of new quarterback Zac Lee.

Gilleylen tuned it all out and just kept trying to work hard and impress NU assistant coach Ted Gilmore.

“Coach Gilmore started to trust people and he seemed to trust me a little bit more,’’ Gilleylen said. “So I’m definitely thankful for that and I’m thankful for having an opportunity to play and contribute to the team.’’

Gilleylen was one of the Husker surprises in the 49-3 win over FAU, doubling his reception total from his redshirt freshman season. His 92 receiving yards were the most by any Husker and included a 51-yard scoring strike from Lee that made it 14-0.

Even though he had secured a nice spot on the NU depth chart, Gilleylen didn’t know it would translate into being such a significant piece of the offense in the first game.

“It definitely wasn’t expected at all,’’ he said. “We run the same plays all during the week, and sometimes you don’t get the ball. But Coach always lets us know you’ve got to run the routes full speed, run them to win, be prepared ... because you never know what the defense will give you.’’

Gilleylen got involved in the first quarter without making a catch. The 6-foot, 215-pounder from Leander, Texas, hurried to throw a block that gave Holt the last open field he needed on his 28-yard touchdown reception.

The 51-yard touchdown pass play came three plays into the second quarter after Lee executed a play fake and found Gilleylen down the middle. Gilleylen stumbled momentarily after the catch but no FAU defender was nearby to do anything about it.

“I was like, ‘There’s no way that I can fall right now,’ because I didn’t see anybody else left on the defense,’’ he said. “I had to keep my feet and try and get it in the end zone.’’

Gilleylen’s other receptions covered 10, 5 and 26 yards. Only tight end Mike McNeill caught as many passes.

Gilleylen said there might not be a go-to guy in the offense right now. Attachments will have to develop. Lee will find whoever’s open for now.

It’s just good to be in the conversation.

“I’m only a sophomore this year, so I’m definitely excited,’’ Gilleylen said. “I have so much more to learn and so much room to grow. I’m just trying to do my best with where I’m at right now.’’

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090906/BIGRED/709069832