Things you didn't expect

jonnyhuska

The major thing I didn't expect is to see our d-line get beat. Whether or not FAU had full protection was little concern to me, I fell they were pushed back often and lacked the pressure I feel is necessary to win big games. Obviously this was the first game and it was against FAU but what did you guys thing was a little unexpected.

The major thing I didn't expect is to see our d-line get beat. Whether or not FAU had full protection was little concern to me, I fell they were pushed back often and lacked the pressure I feel is necessary to win big games. Obviously this was the first game and it was against FAU but what did you guys thing was a little unexpected.

Don't get too spooked about the D-line not getting through. Here's why:

1) FAU got rid of the ball as fast as humanly possible on every play. I don't think I saw their QB take anything more than a quick 3 step drop and release the ball to the first receiver at which he looked. Even though we play many spread offense teams not all of them will get rid of the ball that quick.

2) We didn't blitz the entire game. We didn't create these blitz packages like usual b/c Bo/Carl knew Rusty would get rid of the ball so fast.....so what's the point. It was smarter to put those players back in coverage.

3) We did create pressure with a 4 man rush just no sacks b/c of #1 on this list.

4) Even though we gave up 358 yards we only allowed 3 points. Meaning when it came down to the time when plays needed to be made, Nebraska was the team that made them. The 3 turnovers helped.

I agree we have to have pressure to win the big games and I believe our d-line can and will do that just fine. We'll see a lot more this week as Ark State's offense is more conventional.

I was surprised we kept them out of the end zone. I figured, it being the first game and all, that we would give up a couple of scores and a field goal. I figured with Smith's quick release he'd be able to generate at least one scoring drive early while we were still getting used to game action and another late against the scrubs.

I was surprised we didn't pass more, but not all that much.

I was surprised at how many turnovers we generated. We always talk about getting more, but talk doesn't always translate into action. The three we got and the couple more we should have gotten but didn't were great.

I was surprised at how lackluster Helu looked early, and then how great he looked late. It seemed like he needed to flip that switch and get his head in the game or something, and he did, BIG TIME.

:yeah

I was definately surprised about keeping them out of the endzone. I was a bit surprised to see helu go off in the second half. The turnovers were definately a good surprise because if we can't pick some off against mizzou we are gonna be looking at a repeat of the last two years. Other than that I was surprised (in a good way) at how many carries Burkhead got and how decent he looked in his first action