Breaking Down The 80 Yard Burn

sarge87

My first reaction was to blame O'Hanlon for the busted coverage, but after reviewing the replay, there were two breakdowns in coverage that caused this play to be successful.

y4WGOZVTCK4

At the 0:35 mark on the replay.......

It looks like the D is playing Cover-2 with the corners bracketed in zone coverage. Linebackers in coverage are playing man.

At the 0:43 mark on the replay......

Mistake #1 - West lets Coale go to the outside giving him the sideline instead of turning him inside towards the middle of the field.

At the 0:46 mark on the replay......

Mistake #2 - Thorell loses the TE Boone just for a second causing O'Hanlon's eyes to freeze on him instead of picking up Coale streaking down the sideline.

Mistake #3 - Taylor has way too much time to throw the ball, almost :05 full seconds.

At the 0:55 mark on the replay you get a close-up view of West letting Coale get outside on him which is a no-no because the safety is watching the seam route.

Just my take from what I could see on the video. Click on the video for a larger one on Youtube.

Meh, watching the video, I still think that most of the blame lies on O'Hanlon. West did make a mistake, no question. Thorell losing the TE didn't help, but I think O'Hanlon froze much more than it warranted. I'm a big O'Hanlon fan, so it's not that I don't like him, I just think he made a big, costly mistake here no matter how you slice it.

Meh, watching the video, I still think that most of the blame lies on O'Hanlon. West did make a mistake, no question. Thorell losing the TE didn't help, but I think O'Hanlon froze much more than it warranted. I'm a big O'Hanlon fan, so it's not that I don't like him, I just think he made a big, costly mistake here no matter how you slice it.

It's obviously O'Hanlon's fault, but if a QB has that much time or can create that much time to find someone, it's almost never going to be good, much like that play and the winning TD.

It's obviously O'Hanlon's fault, but if a QB has that much time or can create that much time to find someone, it's almost never going to be good, much like that play and the winning TD.

Very true. I was watching him sit around in the pocket, having a spot of tea while he was at it, and then throwing a pass, and I was racking my brain as to how there wasn't a hold somewhere in there. Was our D-line just not trying on that play or what?

Also, to be fair to O'Hanlon, if our offense hadn't turned a 1st and goal into a punting situation on an earlier drive, it wouldn't have mattered. I'm not blaming the loss on O'Hanlon, I want to make that clear, because his mistake was just one of many that cost us this game.

In retrospect, I almost wish O'Hanlon wouldn't have caught him. Would have given us a minute to get in field goal range.

:yeah

I actually found myself yelling at the tube that the guy scored (or hoping he had) for the same reason.

If they kick the extra point or miss the two point..we win with a FG.

No kidding, I love O'Hanlons heart, but I never thought I'd see him run somebody down. Oh well, if we make the goal line stand, it's the highlight and hustle play of the year.

What we saw in the video is a safety's worst nightmare. It becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. When Matt stepped towards the TE route, it allowed Lance to reacquire the coverage, because the TE saw Matt come towards him causing him to alter his route.

If Matt breaks to cover the sideline, because West doesn't turn the receiver to the inside, then the whole middle of the field is exposed. The TE, which already had Lance beat, would have filled the zone vacated by O'Hanlon.

When the coach says everyone has a job to do, this is what happens when those jobs do not get done causing a total breakdown in coverage. One big chain reaction.

The Cover 2 may have not been the best option in this situation. Adding an extra safety here in coverage might have been a better call by the coaches to guard against the long ball.

My thing is, why would west give up the sideline when there is less than 2 min left and VTech has no timeouts but evidently the fault is mostly on O'hanlon.

“What I saw, the quarterback rolled out, and Matty (Matt O’Hanlon) didn’t get deep enough,” Sanders said. “But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I’ve just got to get him coached up a little better.”

I only hope that VOCAL leader on offense emerges and says that this can never happen again. Because it makes no sense for us not to have scored a touchdown. The D played lights out, only giving up 16 pts. They need some help from the O.

My thing is, why would west give up the sideline when there is less than 2 min left and VTech has no timeouts but evidently the fault is mostly on O'hanlon.

“What I saw, the quarterback rolled out, and Matty (Matt O’Hanlon) didn’t get deep enough,” Sanders said. “But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I’ve just got to get him coached up a little better.”

I only hope that VOCAL leader on offense emerges and says that this can never happen again. Because it makes no sense for us not to have scored a touchdown. The D played lights out, only giving up 16 pts. They need some help from the O.

Agreed. I was disappointed in the redzone offense. The penalties were a killer.

I noticed something that i didnt notice before.

Suh had a chance to sack him and apply more pressure because he sheds his block and then comes back around Crick, but it seemed like he hesitated, jumped up on the pump fake and then rushed him but got there a second too late.

Another thing i noticed, was right when West let Coale go behind him, O'Hanlon had his back turned to the outside. O'Hanlon was also not as far back behind as Asante was on the right side. O'Hanlon kept his back turned to the outside until Taylor looked back to the left and threw, by that time Coale was pretty much in line with O'Hanlon but too far away and running down field with the ball.

For the TD. Once again something i didnt see, Lance Thorell was covering no one, he was in zone, but clearly had a shot to rush in and apply pressure to Taylor before Suh and Crick shed their blocks and hesitated.

But i dont know. As a Safety, i would imagine your role is to not let anyone pass you and to keep your eyes on the entire field, or your side of the field. I had to place blame on this play. I would say it was a bad defensive call, West letting Coale go on the outside, and O'Hanlon having his back turned to that outside and letting Coale go un-noticed until it was too late.

In retrospect, I almost wish O'Hanlon wouldn't have caught him. Would have given us a minute to get in field goal range.

I have been thinking the same thing. It would almost have been better to just let Coale score because we would have had more time on the clock.

I am with you that there should have been someone on the goal line, and taken one of the DL out of the game for the extra man. but I am extremely proud of the D. they proved themselves to be physical and tough, even though I wish we had better LB play.