4th and a long 1

Landlord

Disclaimer: I am not criticizing the coaching staff's decision to punt, only looking at what could have possibly been alternatives.

People are saying it was the right call to punt with how our defense was playing, but since our defense was playing SO well, doesn't that mean we should have went for it because even if we didn't get it and gave them the ball further up field, our defense would be able to stop them?

Another thing I don't see people discussing is why we didn't try a field goal, if we didn't want to go for the first down. If I remember right, it would have been 53 yards. Certainly a risk, but then again, if you get it, you're up 8 points and give them virtually no shot at WINNING, only maybe forcing overtime.

Any thoughts?

I think we could spin that question a million different ways and we're still going to get the same two answers:

-We should have went for it because our D was playing so well or,

-Punting it was the right call because our D was playing so well.

No one could have forsaw the end the result. Had we gone for it and not gotten the first down and VaTech ended up scoring the winning TD, we would be questioning why we didn't punt it.

The field goal. I asked myself the same question. We know Henery has the leg and we know he can perform under pressure. But can he do that in a hostile environment? And with VaTech being so good at special teams, it's probable they would have blocked it. Then we would have been questioning the call to go for a field goal instead of punting.

For me, the bottom line is we can play 20 questions about this game all day and night. Unfortunately none of those questions is going to change the outcome of the game. As a fan I just have to accept the loss and move on just as the players are doing.

Disclaimer: I am not criticizing the coaching staff's decision to punt, only looking at what could have possibly been alternatives.

People are saying it was the right call to punt with how our defense was playing, but since our defense was playing SO well, doesn't that mean we should have went for it because even if we didn't get it and gave them the ball further up field, our defense would be able to stop them?

Another thing I don't see people discussing is why we didn't try a field goal, if we didn't want to go for the first down. If I remember right, it would have been 53 yards. Certainly a risk, but then again, if you get it, you're up 8 points and give them virtually no shot at WINNING, only maybe forcing overtime.

Any thoughts?

One thing I wish we would have tried was a long count to try and draw them off sides. Even if we got a delay of game penalty, we still would be able to pin them down on their side of the field. I know it's more of an advantage when you try that at home with the crowd noise, but Va Tech was getting their share of penalties that day.

Any thoughts?

One thing I wish we would have tried was a long count to try and draw them off sides. Even if we got a delay of game penalty, we still would be able to pin them down on their side of the field. I know it's more of an advantage when you try that at home with the crowd noise, but Va Tech was getting their share of penalties that day.

I just wonder how a guy can call a fake fg during a Colorado game and not have the nerve to go for it on 4-1 when your defense is playing so well and 10 or more yards (yes, it was actually 30 more yards but who knew until they kicked that it wouldn't go into the end zone and only gain you 15 more yards) wouldn't mean much. chuckleshuffle

I guess I always took it for granted when Osborne would try trick play after trick play in the big games. Hell your supposed to play to win not play to not lose. I guess it's better then Callahan play not to be blown out. <_<

It seems everyone wants to make this a 2 dog race between punting it and going for it. Why not kick the fieldgoal? I actually was wondering why we didn't kick the fieldgoal when it was 4th and goal. I realize 50+ yard fieldgoals aren't a gimme at all, but we have a FG kicker that more than likely would have made 1 of the 2.

Just read my post above - their strength is special teams play. On a long FG attempt, they'd have been pinning their ears back like nobody's business. Even punting (according to ME) was risky at that point. Should have gone for it on 4th and 1.

Whoever mentioned it's only being discussed because of the plays following - I don't agree. It would have bugged me regardless of the outcome that the coaches didn't try to win in right there, and not give the ball back.