Is Nebraska's offense better than last year

DocNice

Is your OFFENSE better than last year is the key question. Versus somewhat similar competition this year and last, it seems like you're about the same in production.

Your stats vs the cupcakes are similar in scoring. A little better in rushing, passing about the same. Against VT, you have much worse passing and much better rushing than last year.

Where do you see this team? I think MU did a nice defensive job on you last year, holding you to 10 points until the final play. What will we see that we didn't see before?

the offense we ran at the end of last season is far different than the offense we ran against MU. we went to a ball control passing game instead of a ball control rushing game. obviously the passing game worked a hell of a lot better!

our offense right now is definitely better than the one that played MU last season, however im not yet sure if it is better than what the offense morphed into over the season. we definitely have more explosiveness but i dont know if we have the ability to control the clock quite as well as we did last season...

I'd say you're pretty close with that assessment. NU's offense is about the same as last year. The difference is we were more of a controlled passing team with some running and an occasional deep ball last year, while this season we're more of a running team with decent passing and more deep balls. We also haven't had as many turnovers with year (so far).

EDIT: After posting this I realized you might only remember the NU offense from the Mizzou game last year. Our O got much better after that game. And this year's offense is much better than the one MU saw last season.

The best answer I can give you in analyzing 2009 Nebraska is to ignore 2008 Nebraska, especially anything prior to the Texas Tech game. This team was completely lost with Bo's new systems and philosophies. They've had a year to compensate, and they'll be fine this week.

We had a fairly substantial overhaul after the Missouri game which ended up saving our season. What's different about this year compared to last is if your safeties fall asleep for even five seconds Lee is going to put six points on the board. He's got a huge arm with great accuracy. If the receivers can catch the ball, we'll have ourselves a diverse offense next Thursday, with a much better running game than last year.