Rank the BIG XII Coaches.

stoops and brown top tier with brown having retooled his franchise better with the addition of best DC around. stoops better recruiter

gundy and leach for making strides in program by bringing in top dc's with OKS resources could be next big thing.

pinkel and mangino for taking stagnant programs and rebuilding them. only ok as game coaches.

briles, pellini, rhoades for projects with decent starts

snyder, sherman, KSU about to get big dose of reality and sherman out of place in college fb.

hawkins, done nothing at all, just trying to survive this yr.

#1 Mack Brown-look at his bowl record

#2 Bob Stoops-startng to lose a step on Brown

#3 Mark Mangino-BCS bowl winner

#4 Mike Leach-exciting offense, if he could build a "D" lookout

#5 Mike Gundy-nice job at OSU

#6 Bo Pelini-yes he turned arond the defense but at the expense of a very prolific offense

#7 Gary Pinkel-has talent but can't seem to wn a meaningful game

#8 Bill Snyder-was once a savior, can he be again?

#9 Paul Rhodes-huge win last week, can they sustain it or will it be a typical ISU letdown

#10 Art Briles-what it could have been

#11 Mike Sherman-fortunate that Dan Hawkins coaches in the Big 12

#12 Juice Box-calls for fake punts inside his own 10

IMO: If anyone has Pelini ranked in the Top 6 they are kidding themselves and totally looking at this through Rose Colored glasses. Maybe in a few years but as of right now there is absolutely no way he should be rated that high. I mean come on he just lost to ISU at home for the first time in 30+ years.

It said rank the Big 12 HEAD COACHES not rank the Big 12 Head Coaches based off of their ability to be a good coordinator.

1. Stoops (Big 12 Titles)

2. Brown (10+ win seasons)

3. Snyder (track record)

4. Gundy (has OSU in Top 15)

5. Leach (had the #1 team in Nation just last year)

6. Mangino (BCS bowl win helps)

7. Pinkel (had the #1 team in Nation just 2 years ago)

8. Rhodes (just won in Lincoln for first time in 30+ years)

9. Pelini (just lost to ISU in Lincoln for first time in 30+ years)

10. Briles (you don’t move up when you bank your whole teams success to one player)

11. Sherman (if he gets a defense will move up)

12. Hawkins (terrible)

Taking into account coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of charechter, attitude toward players, attitude players have for coach. Ranking the Big 12 coaches...

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

1. BO PELINI Yes I'm biased. VERY VERY biased.

Why is Bill Snyder NOT # 1 ??? Are you kidding me ???

Because it's my opinion Bill Snyder is a washed up hack who can't and never could win the big ones. I think he's got a long way to go and a few big wins over conference bottom feeders don't show me what his overall return record will. He does have one thing on Tom Osborne though, he can say the word "Mentor" correctly.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37358

I'm with junior.

1. Bill Snyder (sorry you can't convice me that many coaches could've done what he did back then when the doormats didn't have the advantages of scholarship limits.)

2. Bob Stoops. Guy took the talent there and coached it to a title in 2 years and has pretty much always (with the exception of a few years) been the favorite to win the big 12 since then.

3. Bo Pelini...consistent winner, defensive mastermind able to turn our defense around twice!

4. Mack Brown (hard to even put him here. 1 title and sooooo much bloody talent that always finds a way to play down to it's competition except for one year)

5 & 6. Mark Mangino & Gary Pinkel

7 & 8. Mike Leach, Mike Gundy....flashy offense but no consistency

9, 10 and 11. Toss up btwn Mike Sherman and Art Briles and Paul Rhodes (verdicts still out although they all are making strides)

12. Dan Hawkins....no consistency whatsoever...

I'd say this is pretty close to what I'm thinking. Actually, there's not a single coach on this list IMO that could have pulled off what Snyder pulled off. Here's my list. It's a somewhat different.

1. Snyder. No one manages JuCos as well as he does. It's interesting to note that all other struggling Big 12 teams took a page from his playbook with regards to scheduling extreme patsies in the nonconference to boost team confidence. Heck, Mangino and KU barely even played anyone with a pulse the year they nearly went undefeated.

2. Stoops. It's not because of NC's because he only has one. It's because of the amount of Big 12 titles he's won and BCS bowls he's landed OU into. Can you imagine the wealth of the OU program if it were an independant? Interesting to note that Stoops was once a Snyder assistant.

3. Mangino. It took him a few years, but he's got KU consistantly playing good football. He needs to stress recruiting a bit more and use the strong basketball program more to get better players. As far as I'm concerned the coaches in the 3-10 ranking all have arguments as to why they should be higher or lower than where I have them.

4&5. Mike and Mike (Leach & Gundy) both are great offensive coaches who don't place enough stress on the defensive side of the ball. However, both have shown they can play with and beat the big boys down south.

6, 7, & 8. This is where I'm putting the newcomers Bo included. The reason: how would many of you have ranked the Big 12 coaches with regards to Bill Clownahan after the 2005 season? I mean it appeared we were on our way back and then beating Michigan in the bowl game. I am in no way saying Bo is comparable to Clownahan at all, but I think each of the 3 need to be at their respective schools at least 4 seasons before they can be moved up or down. As far as I'm concerned, these three could all have not rankable beside them because none of them have been at their respective schools long enough to get an accurate ranking.

9 & 10. Mack Brown and Gary Pinkel - Is this too low? Probably. However, I still hold grudges against these two for mistakes in the past. Brown screwed over Major Applewhite. Had he played him, he'd probably have another NC trophy in his case. Pinkel totally messed up with how he played Brad Smith. You don't take the best spread option guy out there and make him a drop back passer. Mack Brown, IMO, underachieves with the talent he gets. Gary Pinkel always seems to do something that makes me just go wow, why? Pinkel has been with his respective school the longest consecutively of the northern schools, yet he has never been able to play with the big boys to the south. Now that it appears Nebraska is on its way back up, the question still lingers whether or not Pinkel can get the recruits he's come accustomed to when Nebraska football was on life support?

11. Mike Sherman - it just smells and looks like another Clownahan experiment down there in Aggieland. IMO, Slocum should never have been forced out. It's been downhill for the program ever since.

12. Dan Hawkins - He got the benefit of the doubt for quite a while. In fact, I thought this year they were a darkhorse to win the northern division. I'm still having trouble determining whether his team is really as slow as West Virginia, Toledo, etc. made them look or if his players just aren't playing for him. Either way, there's big troubles in Boulder especially now after playing their backup QB that was supposed to redshirt this year.

Great post.

I agree bigtime with 90% of it but I gotta most respectfully disagree with your rating of Bo. Callahan took over a bowl winning 10-3 team and immediately trashed it giving NU it's first losing season in 40 years and it's worst loss in history. Bo has never done anything remotely as bad as that. Oh I know you're not comparing Bo to the "NFL genius" (as zillions of NU fans referred to him then) but as they're rated the same.....well....

Snyder definately deserves his #1 rating imo. Most people have no clue whatsoever how brilliantly he succeeded despite outrageous overwhelming odds against him at KSU.

Yeah, #11 sounds terribly familiar. God help the Aggies.....they'll need it.

Mangino and Stoops are too close to call imo. They're both brilliant HCs and deserve a tie at #2.

all those rating Brown down lower than top 2, are insane. Yeah i may have a little bias, but currently Mack Brown has a streak of 19 consecutive winning seasons, 17 straight seasons making a bowl, has not won less than 10 games since 2001 which is the longest active streak of seasons with 10+ wins in the nation. (Stoops has 21 loses since then, Brown only 15) 8-3 in bowl games at Texas, 3-2 at UNC (Stoops 4-6) has not finished lower than #13, Big 12 Conference record 21 consecutive conference wins from 2004–2006, and the only thing Stoops has over him is Big 12 titles.

Just stating an argument for Mack Brown

Mack doesn't do anything but recruit. He's the epitome of a figurehead. He's just there for show while Davis and Muschamp do all the work. Texas has been winning off talent alone since he's been there.

Taking into account coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of charechter, attitude toward players, attitude players have for coach. Ranking the Big 12 coaches...

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

Because it's my opinion Bill Snyder is a washed up hack who can't and never could win the big ones. I think he's got a long way to go and a few big wins over conference bottom feeders don't show me what his overall return record will. He does have one thing on Tom Osborne though, he can say the word "Mentor" correctly.

Kansas State is leading the Big 12 North and they will probably win the Big 12 North! Give the dude some credit ! They weren't picked to do squat at the start of the year !!!
Kansas State is leading the Big 12 North and they will probably win the Big 12 North! Give the dude some credit ! They weren't picked to do squat at the start of the year !!!

Ummmmmm. Lets see. So what? No, absolutely not and again so what?

The meat of the season is coming up. We'll see where the Kansas State MenTOR sits at the end of the season.

What baffles me is this Orgasm so many Husker fans have over this old fart Bill Snyder. The coach that "Almost Did it." The coach that brought a program to the top of mediocrity and watched it slip back down when he left. I see several of you rank him ahead of people like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops, coaches who have actually done something we call "Win National Championships" "Win Conference Championships" and "Go to BCS Bowls." While I might pick Bo Pelini because I'm extremely biased toward Nebraska, His defenses have actually won conference and national titles and I expect him to do the same here soon and I love his personality. Now I know old Bill Snyder won a BIG XII Championship out of sheer luck and poor play by a superior team but that just doesn't impress me very much. I have no love of Kansas State and he epitomizes them.

I still think he's a washed up hack.. He's got some time to prove me wrong. If he does. More power to him.

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

Snyder couldn't win the big ones? In the 2003 Big 12 Championship game, KState was projected to lose by a bazillion points to the Sooners. I'd call that game a pretty big one. Snyder's legacy at K-State includes winning the Big 12 championship in 2003 – the school's second major conference title ever. During the 1998 season, Kansas State posted an undefeated 11–0 regular season and earned its first ever number 1 ranking in the national polls, just ten years after being named the WORST program in the country by Sports Illustrated. He was NATIONAL coach of the year three times, and CONFERENCE coach of the year six times. Apparently, several do not agree with your assessment of Snyder. By the way, he also has a winning bowl record.

better time to assess is end of this season. all the big 12 teams have interesting stories yet to tell. can Bo recover from a blown game literally giving a win away when they were clearly the best team on the field? Still has inside track and controls own destiny for north.

Can Pinkel overcome blowing a game and giving a victory away when they had dominated play, even with a damaged young qb as he did with NU? Can they restart that engine?

KU can mangino come up with a competitive D and keep reesing from being killed and win another game this season or can he reboot winning north? What will he do next yr when all his skill players are gone on O and he still doesn't have a D?

KSU can they win another game? Hold serve and win north as they control own fate playing top teams in division. IF they do that would be a grt coaching performance.

ISU can rhoades take advantage of NU's gift or they are who we thought they were.

CU? oh forget it, they just suck, hawkins is a fraud.

Can tx shut down a very good OKS and win out? Can Mack do more than bobby s and win a NC?

season is right in the fun stages, many good stories still out there. recall this thread in december.

What baffles me is this Orgasm so many Husker fans have over this old fart Bill Snyder. The coach that "Almost Did it." The coach that brought a program to the top of mediocrity and watched it slip back down when he left. I see several of you rank him ahead of people like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops, coaches who have actually done something we call "Win National Championships" "Win Conference Championships" and "Go to BCS Bowls." While I might pick Bo Pelini because I'm extremely biased toward Nebraska, His defenses have actually won conference and national titles and I expect him to do the same here soon and I love his personality. Now I know old Bill Snyder won a BIG XII Championship out of sheer luck and poor play by a superior team but that just doesn't impress me very much. I have no love of Kansas State and he epitomizes them.

I still think he's a washed up hack.. He's got some time to prove me wrong. If he does. More power to him.

Bill Snyder has won a Conference Championship. Bill Snyder did get KState into a BCS Bowl. Has Bo done either? Let's see what each has inherited with regards to Snyder, Brown, and Stoops. Mack Brown inherited a Texas team that was just two short years removed from being the Big 12 Champion. Bob Stoops inherited an Oklahoma team where he won a NC in his second year with someone else's recruits. Bill Snyder inherited a football team that hadn't won a friggin game for over 2 years. They were on a 27 game losing streak before he was named KState's coach.

I guess I don't know your criteria for ranking a coach. There have been several coaches fired over the years even though they won a National Championship (Coker, Fulmer, Carr, Schnelleberger, etc.) Bowden has won 2 National Championships, and it appears he'll be foreced out the door.

I put a lot more weight on what coaches have done with what they inherited. Bill Snyder is one of the best coaches to ever coach D1 college football. He inherited a team that was ranked by Sports Illustrated as the worst. He made them contenders. Another coach I'd rank pretty high would be Jim Leavitt. He is the first and only coach of South Florida because they didn't even have a football program before he was hired. He inherited absolutely zero. Consequently, he's another assistant of Bill Snyder.

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

Snyder couldn't win the big ones? In the 2003 Big 12 Championship game, KState was projected to lose by a bazillion points to the Sooners. I'd call that game a pretty big one. Snyder's legacy at K-State includes winning the Big 12 championship in 2003 – the school's second major conference title ever. During the 1998 season, Kansas State posted an undefeated 11–0 regular season and earned its first ever number 1 ranking in the national polls, just ten years after being named the WORST program in the country by Sports Illustrated. He was NATIONAL coach of the year three times, and CONFERENCE coach of the year six times. Apparently, several do not agree with your assessment of Snyder. By the way, he also has a winning bowl record.

Thanks for repeating information we already covered..... Like the fluke win over Oklahoma in 2003. (That is one of few Big Ones for K state.)

Let me comment on that 1998 season of Bill Snyders. I've already commented on the gift win they got over Nebraska that season. That was the season the greatest team in K state history couldn't cut it against a scrappy Texas A&M team. Also the same year they lost the ALAMO BOWL to a middle of the Big TEN Purdue.

Just because others disagree with me doesn't mean they are right or I'm wrong. It means we disagree.

I don't happen to think that Bill Snyder has the horses anymore to do anything more than keep Kansas State mediocre.

You know I started this thread so we could all rank the coaches. We all did. Some of you like Bill Snyder..Thats nice. I don't. Get over it!

Bill Snyder has won a Conference Championship. Bill Snyder did get KState into a BCS Bowl. Has Bo done either?

As a Defensive coordinator, Yes he has.

As a head coach. No he hasn't. You might have noticed he's only been a head coach for 1 and a half seasons and this season isn't over yet!