IRC Chat

Landlord

I have brought this up before, but there was never a conclusive decision to the best of my knowledge. Now I know that we used to have IRC chat and it got "advertised" for a while during gameday, but that faded out and I would like to rekindle thoughts on this.

I really think that having an established IRC channel would help the Huskerboard community grow and continue to thrive, and I dont' just mean encouraging everyone to join up during a game, but to have people in there anytime they are able to get online (certain circumstances like work notwithstanding). I know there would be several people, myself included, who would be in the channel 24/7 idling when not around but still contributing to the numbers (it won't work if there aren't any people chatting whenever someone logs on) and it would be really easy to seamlessly integrate chat into the forums, making it an equal and standalone part of the Huskerboard experience! :)

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

I have been a part of three or four forum-based communities that have had fully implemented chat rooms, and I can say that in my experience it really adds a lot to the experience. Of course, you need to have it be controlled, whether that be mods or admins in chat or just having a bot that runs scripts for flood control and etc.

On a second note, AR, if we do get this up and running and people take well to it, do you think it would be possible to actually install IRCd software?