Coach Callahan Quotes

Amy

COACH CALLAHAN: I think reflecting back on Steve's question earlier, the biggest difference for us is the staff has been, in terms of transition, is creating and eveloping relationships with the players.

Before you get into the Xs and Os and things of that nature, you really have to evelop a relationship with your players, and that's paramount. I have always contended that players really don't care how much you know until they

know how much you care.

That's really been the case for us as a coaching staff and as a team family, coming closer, coming together and having that chemistry bond a little bit tighter as you move through the process.

Ask some guys like Dailey, Josh Bullocks, Washington, Birkel, Pilkington, etc. just how much of a relationship these coaches built with them :wtf

Heck ask Tim Brown or Woodson, even.

I will give you a perfect example. We are more familiar with what we are doing now.

And you have been a coach for HOW long??? :wacko:

As far as all of the guys you listed former, here is my opinion. Dailey sucked and was a whiner who couldnt deal with not being the man anymore, both Bullucks and Washington left for the NFL because their families were in poor financial situations, which I have told you before, and Washington openly said that he loved playing for Callahan and that he thinks that he will make Nebraska great again. Pilkington and Birkel are pissed because they, like Dailey, now find themselves in a position where actual talent is coming in, instead of walk on white guys who cant get another D1 scholarship. Woodson also had problems at Michingan and Tim Brown was just whining because he was old and couldnt cut it any more so Callahan wasnt throwing him the ball. Callahan has made it clear that every position is up for grabs, and I dont want guys here that cant handle that. If you wanna know what kind of relationships that Callahan has with his players, ask the 31 guys that just pledged the next 4 to 5 years of their life to him.

Callahan: West Coast offense can win in college game

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

HOUSTON — Ah, summer.

Bill Callahan's favorite baseball team, the Chicago White Sox, is running away with the American League Central. Callahan has been watching with admiration as Lance Armstrong again pedals majestically in France, he said.

We interrupt this dreamy summer snooze with a question about Nebraska's defensive performance in 2004.

continue at link

I will give you a perfect example. We are more familiar with what we are doing now.

And you have been a coach for HOW long??? :wacko:

Way to take that out of context. :thumbs

Ask some guys like Dailey, Josh Bullocks, Washington, Birkel, Pilkington, etc. just how much of a relationship these coaches built with them :wtf

If kids don't want to play for you, they don't want to play for you. Period.

KC Star: Callahan want's offense to click like USC's

Callahan, intent on bringing the West Coast to the heartland, was infatuated with the video like a kid who can’t get enough of Harry Potter. The stars of the video were guys named Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett. All of them were hotshots in Southern California’s impressive drive to last season’s national championship.

Callahan couldn’t count how many times he studied the tape of the Trojans’ dismantling of Oklahoma 55-19 in the Orange Bowl. Don’t take this as bulletin-board material, Sooners, but Callahan loved witnessing the West Coast offense clicking on all cylinders against you.

Des Moines Register: "Husker promises changes in attit

Never again, Seppo Evwaraye promised, will Nebraska take an opponent lightly. Never will he consider a team like, ahem , Iowa State a cinch win.

"That used to be the mind-set," the Cornhusker offensive lineman said during the Big 12 Conference media days Wednesday. "Iowa State was one of the teams that Nebraska players in the past overlooked."

but Callahan loved witnessing the West Coast offense clicking on all cylinders against you.

What USC runs the West Coast Offense. :sarcasm Some folks around here tried hard last year to say they didn't. I guess it can work at the College level. :thumbs

Try again, pal, USC DOES NOT RUN the WCO. Paul Hackett ran in when he was at USC. Remember this little tidbit from an interview with Carson Palmer in 2001.

From: http://www.eaglesfootball.com/college/palmer/qa2.php

"TSN: Compare your new offense to the one you ran last year.

CP: They're completely different. The West Coast offense is an NFL-style offense. It's very complex and takes a while to learn. Coach Chow's offense is very different. It's very basic. He pretty much taught it to me in two weeks. The West Coast offense takes three years to learn. We've already put in everything we have in Coach Chow's offense. In this new offense, there's no seven-step drops. Everything is about getting rid of the ball quick. If you hitch twice, you're wrong in this offense. In the West Coast offense, you're taking a lot of five-step drops and hitching a couple times and trying to find the third guy. This offense, all you're doing is dropping back and getting rid of the ball as fast as you can.

TSN: Sounds like you prefer the new offense.

CP: It's better for this team. The West Coast offense is tough to run in college football. To do it, you've got to have every guy at every position. You've got to have the tight end that can run down the field, receivers for this down and for this pattern and a certain type of running back. This offense is suited to what you have. If you have a good receiver, you're going to run this play. If you have a back that can't do this, you're not going to run this play. "

Funny, huh :sarcasm And alot of ya'll thought that Dailey was recruited as an option qb, too. I dont remember Barney Cotton running an "option offense" at ISU. ISU runs the type of offense he wanted in Lincoln, but unlike the current staff, he was willing to call plays that his players ran well, and wait until his style of players were there. Unlike the current staff, he put winning and the team above his system.

Ive got news for you PAL. Neither does Nebraska. Nobody has run the west coast offense since the 49ers in the 1980's. I thought the counter play out of the I formation would be enough to convince anybody who knows something about xs and os.

:wtf So NU doesnt run the WCO??? Has billy c. been lying to us all this time???

So what was that piece of garbage offense that fouled Tom Osborne field last year??