running game is damaged

Going into the season the Huskers thought they had a 1-2 punch of Helu and Castille with Burkhead as the 3rd back. Just think of what that could have been like with 35 rushes a game. But Castille was kicked off the team. Helu has been hurt and Burkhead is out. Now the team has to rely on a average passing. Untill the running game is figured out, this offense will have no idenity.

Going into the season the Huskers thought they had a 1-2 punch of Helu and Castille with Burkhead as the 3rd back. Just think of what that could have been like with 35 rushes a game. But Castille was kicked off the team. Helu has been hurt and Burkhead is out. Now the team has to rely on a average passing. Untill the running game is figured out, this offense will have no idenity.

In my opinion the running game has nothing to do with the running backs. In fact the RB position might be the most overrated and overemphasized position in football. Look at a team like Iowa. Are you telling me their two freshmen running backs are world class athletes? Please. What they have is an offensive line that opens gaping holes that I could run through.

Our problem on offense is a lack of discipline and explosion from the line. The running backs we have should be more than enough to account for a couple hundred yards a game (especially against the run Ds we've been seeing). We have a lack of commitment to the run and poor coaching from front to back on how to execute it. We think the zone read is this cure all––well it ain't. A cure all is lining it up and pounding your opponent into submission whether they have 5, 7, 8, or 11 guys in the box. But you have to commit to it and condition yourself to that hard style of play.

Start against ISU.

In my opinion the running game has nothing to do with the running backs. In fact the RB position might be the most overrated and overemphasized position in football. Look at a team like Iowa. Are you telling me their two freshmen running backs are world class athletes? Please. What they have is an offensive line that opens gaping holes that I could run through.

Our problem on offense is a lack of discipline and explosion from the line. The running backs we have should be more than enough to account for a couple hundred yards a game (especially against the run Ds we've been seeing). We have a lack of commitment to the run and poor coaching from front to back on how to execute it. We think the zone read is this cure all––well it ain't. A cure all is lining it up and pounding your opponent into submission whether they have 5, 7, 8, or 11 guys in the box. But you have to commit to it and condition yourself to that hard style of play.

Start against ISU.

Exactly, and yeah ISU would be a good place to start. If Green is starting for now on like we hope the run will have to get better to take pressure off of Cody.

If the run game improves, our QB play will improve. We need to be physical and not be detered by "loaded fronts."

Just because people line up in the box doesn't mean they stay there post snap. And even if they do, we should be looking to hit people....knock em around and establish that physical presense.

If we run the ball, the defenders around the line will be more likely to bite on a play-fake.

Even the staight drop back will work much better if the run game is for real.

Well Tad Stryker's review is up on huskerpedia and it mirrors our thoughts. Green adds another dimension. Get back to power football. He also made me think too perhaps cotton is better suited to coach run blocking and the current offensive scheme clashes with that. We shall see. Judging by pelini yelling at cotton and defending watson....