Guess who's going back to the ground game?

The answer seems quite simple. Either we were trying to run it out of the wrong sets, or the team just played flat and wasn't emotionally ready to play.

Sounds right to me.

There is just "no way" TT's run defense is in the same league with VT's (5 of their six top Dlinemen returning from last year's tough Hokie Dline). If our OLine can on reasonable terms run on VT's Dline it should be able to pancake TT's Dline (allowed 4 ypc last year) with little effort.

Something changed in a big way.

Use what we have. We have a TE that should be on the field every single play. He puts a little fear into them.

See, those TEs aren't very effective if the DBacks expect the ball to go to them and don't respect our WRs. I believe Joel Klatt said something to this effect earlier today on P'Zone.

Also, to those people who were commenting on VT being the best defense we've faced all year: If you look at it, and I know they said this during the game, VT has been gashed on more than one occasion. Here's a look at the Rushing Yards they have allowed:

**ALA: 268

MAR: 126

**NEB: 207

MIA: 59

DUKE: 38

BC: 45

**GTech: 309

Aside from the equivalent of rushing creampuffs (MIA #90 and BC #42 don't have great rushing attacks) teams are able to put up rushing yards on VT.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extr...d_presence.html

"<< Prev | Main | Next >>

Robinson's 'thud' presence

Posted by: Steve Sipple on October 21, 2009 at 7:12PM CST

Nebraska running backs coach Tim Beck said the team is sticking to a committee approach when it comes to Roy Helu Jr.'s backup for Saturday's home game against Iowa State.

True freshman Dontrayevous Robinson (6-1, 215) is making progress in that committee, Beck said.

"I like what he's doing," the coach said. "I really like the way he's playing. He's playing big, he's playing physical. He gives us a 'thud' presence that we haven't had yet."

So could Robinson get playing time Saturday?

"Certainly," Beck said. "We pulled his redshirt last week with that reason in mind. But again, a lot will depend on the game -- where we're at in the game and what we need in that game. Other guys can do things better than him at this point in his career.

"We'll try utilize everybody's strengths."

Although Robinson's redshirt was pulled last week, he played only on special teams against Texas Tech.

As for the running backs as a group, Beck said, "I don't know if anybody's jumped out and taken it and said, 'I'm the No. 2 back right now.' "

Helu (shoulder) remained in a green "no-touch" jersey Wednesday."

Running the ball at this point is probably better than trying to pass the ball, but if they are really seriously considering moving more towards the run, put in Cody, he is bigger and more athletic than Zac is. I have a feeling Cody would be the one with more yards than anyone else running the ball with Helu being hurt.

Hell in the last 6 years how many times have we heard this line of crap.

Not once under BC or Wats have they truly tried to consistently establish the run. And with the O-lines we have had I guess I cant blame.

Ah, those "Pound the Rock" campaigns and 4-headed RB monsters.

It was just a cover. So opposing defenses wouldn't expect it coming.

Also, the reason we didn't run much this last game, couldn't possibly be due to Helu's recovering from injury and the lack of viable options behind him?

I'll give you that one but what about oh lets say the previous 50 games??? What was the excuse then??

How about trying to be all smashmouth and big last year, not getting it done, until Wats started spreading it out after the Missouri game?

Back then we were all "PLEASE RUN THE SPREAD."

Hell in the last 6 years how many times have we heard this line of crap.

Not once under BC or Wats have they truly tried to consistently establish the run. And with the O-lines we have had I guess I cant blame.

Ah, those "Pound the Rock" campaigns and 4-headed RB monsters.

It was just a cover. So opposing defenses wouldn't expect it coming.

Also, the reason we didn't run much this last game, couldn't possibly be due to Helu's recovering from injury and the lack of viable options behind him?

I'll give you that one but what about oh lets say the previous 50 games??? What was the excuse then??

How about trying to be all smashmouth and big last year, not getting it done, until Wats started spreading it out after the Missouri game?

Back then we were all "PLEASE RUN THE SPREAD."

They wanted a WV/Tulsa/Florida type spread, not a Kansas/Missouri/Tech/UT spread. We fans wanted REAL zone reads, where the QB actually reads the backside DE, not just a give or keep. The big plays in the running game will come with true reads, just like the double reads from the TO era offense.