Ruud signs; Washington close

Daniel and Josh were major problems last year. It is my understanding that Daniel has made a complete turnaround from last year and is buying into the system. All three were told last year to hit the road if they could not become team players. I will wait until a few games down the road to see if the turn around is true. Leopards do not change their spots. Hopefully this one has. The staff is giving him every opportunity to do so. He has the talent, but is/was a major fan of Pelini. These three, with the help of Pelini caused some major recruiting problems last year. In honesty I am amazed he is still here, but the reason from what I was told, he stayed due to the fact he had the most talent of the two and it would allow Josh to go higher in the draft. Again, a using tactic in my mind, but if he comes out this year and is a team player, I will give him credit for getting his head on right. I hope he does. From what I hear he is trying very hard. The fact that he was at media day is encouraging in my opinion. I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.

Callahan seems to be recruiting kids with character. It is to early to tell that now.

it is too early to tell but from the evidence (though limited) that we have so far- BC isn't going to take any charity cases or 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. I can understand TO wanting to give Phillips another chance for the sake of helping the kid and keeping him off the street. it didn't work of course, but Osborne didn't have the view of retrospect that we have now.

but as much as i respect Solich as a person- I'm puzzled as to why Incognito was given so many chances, even when Cotton alledgedly wanted him gone.

as for the defensive players that didn't "buy into the system". i still question Coz but i use those guys as a way of defending him sometimes. Its kind of hard to coach when some of your KEY players aren't playing top notch.

on one hand, I too am glad they're gone b/c if they weren't going to play the system then what good are they?? You go out on the field and shut up and play.

on the other hand i hold no ill will towards them. They had three DCs in as many years and they fell in love with Bo Peep and didn't get over it and they apparently didn't take to Coz too well (which sounds like a number of Husker fans!)

Unfortunately being an old retired (retarded some would say) Marine, I have a very different outlook. To do or die, it is not for me to question why, Semper Fi. That is what I expect from a Nebraska player. Under Frank those standards were lost in my opinion. I look at Nebraska as an elite program those are the standards of America's elite fighting force. I have no use for quitters, I never have nor will I ever. I do not consider leaving the program as a quitter. I consider players that quit being the best they can be on the field a quitter. Moving on to other opportunities to play are part of life. Washington and Bullocks quit on the field last year and quit on the team. They are not Huskers in my book and I will never forget nor forgive. I could careless about their pro careers.

Under Frank those standards were lost in my opinion.

agreed.

as i said above the coaching carousel spins faster in the NFL than it does in college, these guys can't cling to the DC's or Head Coaches they like and then just not play for the ones they don't like. If they keep that attitude, Skers, you're absolutely right, they won't last long.

but they are young enough that they can grow up and realize that it doesn't work that way. but they better learn that now or they may never learn it. in the NFL or in a real job (they don't call 'em 'bosses' for nothin').

of course then there's the NBA where KBryant can bitch and whine and get his way. and then players like Charles Woodson whining to Al Davis in Oakland pushed BC out. so come to think of it, sometimes they DO get their way... <_<

somehow i don't think either Fabian or Bullocks will have that kind of influence though.

I'm sorry, but I have to call major bullsh#t in this thread. Did FS break up your marriage or something? If you want to talk about recruiting kids with no character, you need to remove TO from your shrine. In the early to mid-90's we were the Miami Hurricanes and Oklahoma Sooners for bad boys. We had running backs dragging their ex g/f's by the hair. How do we reward them? By playing them in the most important game of the year springboarding them into the NFL. We had one DB shooting a gun down O Street. We had caveman Peters dragging women out of the bar back to his cave. We had a receiver getting shot in the ass while gang banging for the summer. We had a LB running from the cops wrecking his car into a parked car when he was drunk. How many more instances do I have to bring up? All during the TO era!

Hell, the program was for the most part very clean under FS as compared to TO's last 5-7 years. I mean for Christ's sake, I've watched enough people crush FS on this sight. But to accuse him of recruting thugs when in fact TO was to blame is just wrong. Why do you think the Big 12 wanted no Prop 48's? Nebraska was getting them and they were dragging our program's name through the mud.

If you want to talk about second chances, look no further than LP. He'd been in trouble from the word go. It was only after he did something totally stupid that he made national news. I knew several players on the team those years, and they said he was constantly in trouble. But, TO knew he needed him to win so by all means let's play ball.

The program under BC has for the most part been clean. Even the thing in OU doesn't compare to the TO last 5-7 years. The program under FS was for the most part clean as well. Don't go dragging FS through the mud because of the character flaws in his recruits because it simply isn't true. FS may have recruited some sh**ty players, but they weren't out making national headlines for reasons other than playing ball.

Ill bet that Washington is off the team and out of the NFL within 3 years.  Deon he aint and he can not take tough times.  I honestly wish him no luck for what he did to this team.  Quitters never win and winners never quit.  Draw your own conclussions on how I feel about him.  Maybe Pelini can use him as a grad assistant down the road.

well, at least FW is already off to a better start than Booker or Bruce Pickens-- he wasn't drafted by the Falcons. ;)

BTW. 4 down 0 to go. Bullocks is in. 4-year deal. :thumbs

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomar...?articleid=1509

Quitters never win and winners never quit.  Draw your own conclussions on how I feel about him.

I know how you feel but at the same time, the guy never hid that he was looking at Nebraska as a $pringboard to the NFL so as to get his family out of the slum. If its only three years, fine. If he can help his family in that three years, more power to him. keep in mind though, booker never really showed anything but was able to stick around longer than three years.

it prompted me to look up Keyuo Craver to see how long he lasted (in the NFL at least). the answer: 3 years.

and the guy hardly played at all! i think he was suspended for more games than he actually played. mainly b/c of um --> :smokin:smokin:smokin

Saints reach deals with Bullocks, Fincher, McPherson

I don't know if this one was posted yet.

I'm sorry, but I have to call major bullsh#t in this thread.  Did FS break up your marriage or something?  If you want to talk about recruiting kids with no character, you need to remove TO from your shrine.  In the early to mid-90's we were the Miami Hurricanes and Oklahoma Sooners for bad boys.  We had running backs dragging their ex g/f's by the hair.  How do we reward them?  By playing them in the most important game of the year springboarding them into the NFL.  We had one DB shooting a gun down O Street.  We had caveman Peters dragging women out of the bar back to his cave.  We had a receiver getting shot in the ass while gang banging for the summer.  We had a LB running from the cops wrecking his car into a parked car when he was drunk.  How many more instances do I have to bring up?  All during the TO era!

You forgot Riley Washington being accused of shooting some dude at a gas station. Didn't Shevin Wiggins mess around with some like 14 year old? How about the team poster in like 92 where three of the offensive guys are flashing gang signs.

I don't know, probably. Like I've said before my mind isn't as good as it once was. But yeah, we had a lot of problems back then and the same kind of reputation that Miami once had and Oklahoma. All we needed back then was a drug dealer and a couple of rapes and OU we would have been. Back then, it was win at all cost. But what do we expect with the pressure we put on TO and staff back then.

Look at how many opportunities Randy Moss was given. First Notre Dame had him on scholarship until he was caught smoking weed. Then Bobby Bowden gave him a chance. Finally, Marshall gave him a chance. The problem with some of the best athletes (Phillips) is that they are thugs. The only modern day school I can think of right now that is always in the thick of things that doesn't take questionable characters is Duke University in basketball. Instead of punishing a student athlete when they mess up big time, they're always given another opportunity at another school. Hell, even Clarrett was given another chance if he'd have taken it at Grambling after he repeatedly lied to NCAA investigators.

Of course the even bigger question we have to ask ourselves as fans is this: would we rather have a squeeky clean image and settle for 9 win seasons and a bowl game, or would we rather have some bad boys tarnishing our reputation but playing for the whole ball of wax?

Of course the even bigger question we have to ask ourselves as fans is this: would we rather have a squeeky clean image and settle for 9 win seasons and a bowl game, or would we rather have some bad boys tarnishing our reputation but playing for the whole ball of wax?

I don't agree. It doesn't HAVE to be one or the other. Sure, most teams are going to have their bad boys, but I don't see it as a necessity to winning championships.

There were some bad kids in the program no question. Second chances are fine. But to bascially try and form a mutiny is a different thing. Give me bad asses anytime over cry baby quitters. If your team mate does not have your back at all times he is not a team mate. We lost that idea when Frank took over. Prima donnas were the order. Tom may have given second chances but he never let the players run the program. Frank did.

And if you check my history you will find that I am a big fan of Frank, I just realize he was not a head coach, he never was nor will he ever be one. He does not know how to manage, recruit or lead. He is a good guy who deserved better treatment, but he needed to go and there are many reasons not even listed as to why.