Alvarez to Retire

Gotta be one of the most underrated and underapreciated coaches of all time. Took a school that traditionally sucked and turned them into a contender, and then stayed despite what many considered to be better opportunities because he loved the school. My favorite acheivement of his wasnt any of the football awards or records, but was the scholarship that he helped create with money from his own pocket. This just shows how good the great state of Nebraska can breed em' I wish him the best and will put him up there with Devaney and Osborne in the hall of husker great coaches, even though he never once led the scarlet and cream.

Yeah really taht was awfully quick for this DC. Has he been in the program for quite a while before becoming DC? wonder if Cos feels slighted at all. wonder if he had any idea this was in the near future. If it isnt health realted i have to imagine he was planning this for a while. but he did kinda ricky williams the situation a bit huh?

Yeah really taht was awfully quick for this DC. Has he been in the program for quite a while before becoming DC? wonder if Cos feels slighted at all. wonder if he had any idea this was in the near future. If it isnt health realted i have to imagine he was planning this for a while. but he did kinda ricky williams the situation a bit huh?

THis DC came from K-State. I don't know what his history at Wis. is besides last year.

Alvarez to Nebraska?  Any chacne at all of him leaving his posh job in Madison for any position at NU?

bear bryant left Texas A&M for the Crimson Tide precisely because "momma called". his ties and dedication to his alma mater were such that he couldn't ignore the request.

barry, however, has spent quite a bit of time with Badgers. i don't know if he'd budge now. and to be honest, he's done a lot for the Wisconsin faithful and i think he's become as beloved there as the Bobfather was here.

... but if it had been earlier... who knows? i read some where (no link, sorry) that barry would quietly say that if the Head Coach job came open at Nebraska, he'd pounce on it like a rottweiler on a pot roast. of course, this was at the late 80s, early 90s... and we all know who was in charge and how unlikely *he* would ever stepdown.

EDIT:

coach barry

bar728.jpeg

the Bobfather

gallery11.jpeg

it looks like barry is the Bobfather REBORN!

Alvarez to Step Down as Badgers Coach After Season, Picks Successor

Alaverez

Madison, WI (Sports Network) - University of Wisconsin head football coach Barry Alvarez announced on Thursday that this upcoming season will be his last. Alvarez, though, will stay on as the school's athletic director, a position he has held since April of 2004.

"I've had the opportunity to do both jobs and it's been a great challenge, a privilege and a true pleasure," said Alvarez. "I feel like we've done a good job in handling the responsibilities of both positions, but the demands certainly take a toll." Defensive coordinator Bret Bielema will take over the head coaching duties. "Certainly, sharing this news prior to the season will ease the transition for our players, the staff and Bret (Bielema)," added Alvarez. "The only change I've made in regard to duties is that Bret is overseeing our recruiting efforts. It's important for us to maintain momentum, and continuity in our recruiting efforts." Alvarez was hired in 1990 to coach the Badgers and has led the team to three Rose Bowl titles, seven additional bowl games and an overall record of 108-70-4. His 7-3 (.700) record in bowl games is in the top 10 among coaches with at least seven bowl appearances. The 58-year-old Alvarez is a 1969 graduate of Nebraska, where he played linebacker and went on to earn his master's degree. He received a Distinguished Alumnus Award from his alma mater in 2003. Bielema, meanwhile, will be starting his second season as the Badgers defensive coordinator after arriving from Kansas State, where he served as co- defensive coordinator. "I am honored, humbled and thrilled about this opportunity," Bielema said. "I am very appreciative of the confidence Coach Alvarez has in me and I will do everything in my power to try to continue the tradition of excellence he has established here at Wisconsin. But today is a day to celebrate Coach Alvarez's achievements and to emphasize our focus on making his final season as head coach a memorable one." Under the 35-year-old Bielema last season, Wisconsin's defense led the team to a 9-0 start and No. 4 ranking in the nation. However, the Badgers faded down the stretch to finish 9-3. Wisconsin opens its 2005 campaign on September 3 at home against Bowling Green. "I'm very excited about the coming season," said Alvarez. "Our players and my staff have worked hard this summer in preparation for the fall. I couldn't be more focused on the preparations for this season."