JUSTIN TOMERLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am saying there is No experience/depth at TE on the O side of the ball, where Tomerlin has some and could help out now...get over it!

hunter

Actually Tomerlin hasn't played TE in like 4 years. He even said he would move to DE if we needed him to. If he is moving to DE then they must be comfortable with the TE depth.

i am saying there is No experience/depth  at TE on the O side of the ball, where Tomerlin has some and could help out now...get over it!

hunter

Actually Tomerlin hasn't played TE in like 4 years. He even said he would move to DE if we needed him to. If he is moving to DE then they must be comfortable with the TE depth.

Bingo. Phillips is much more experienced than Tomerlin at this moment. Plus, I think Clayton Sievers is going to shock a lot of people this year and receive a lot of PT.

OK, gurus...how important is a TE in the CornCoast offense unless he has terrific talent anyway? I have been told the TE position isn't that important, but Callahan knows how much talent Herian has (although he may loose some speed for a year or two with this injury).

What do you guys think? I don't know!

Depends on the other receivers. One of the primary roles of a tight end in the West Coast is to find the seams in the middle of the field, and present a big target for the quarterback - especially as a hot read.

If you have other receivers willing to go over the middle, then the tight end isn't quite as important - especially if you have some tall wide receivers. What makes a guy like Herian special is that he can do so much more than that. He has the ability to strech a defense - something most tight ends can't do.

The tight end is one of the most important positions on the field in the west coast offense. He is the ultimate check down route on most plays and the hot read on most blitz situations. He can also be a deadly weapon if the linebackers play up to take away the check down or stop the run, in that he can attack the third level safeties, and believe me, there isnt a safety in college football that can defend a 6-5 260 lb tight end on the seam route if the throw is decent. The tight end position is huge in this offense.

The tight end is one of the most important positions on the field in the west coast offense. He is the ultimate check down route on most plays and the hot read on most blitz situations. He can also be a deadly weapon if the linebackers play up to take away the check down or stop the run, in that he can attack the third level safeties, and believe me, there isnt a safety in college football that can defend a 6-5 260 lb tight end on the seam route if the throw is decent. The tight end position is huge in this offense.

I cant believe I am saying this :wtf , but I couldnt agree with you more! :cheers

Which brings me to this, why did Herian not see the ball much after the first 2 or 3 games last year????

Which brings me to this, why did Herian not see the ball much after the first 2 or 3 games last year????

My guess: We didn't have any other receivers to make defenses worry about, and Dailey would only throw to Herian if that was his 1st option, usually trying to force a throw when Herian was covered.

Or equally deserving was Callahan and Pederson were out to get Herian, so they didn't call plays for him, made Dailey throw bad passes to him, and paid opponents to try to break his legs on every play so he would be sidelined the rest of the season.

Or equally deserving was Callahan and Pederson were out to get Herian, so they didn't call plays for him, made Dailey throw bad passes to him, and paid opponents to try to break his legs on every play so he would be sidelined the rest of the season.

Hmmmmmm...never thought of that one, but you may be on to something there.....

:sarcasm

I cant believe I am saying this :wtf , but I couldnt agree with you more! :cheers

Hard to get the ball when the defense is keying on you as one of the biggest offensive threats. That and I am not sure Joe ever got the idea of a hot read.

He was seeing alot of double teams where they would run bracket coverage with a safety on top and a linebacker underneath, because they knew they could leave their corners on an island due to Joe's inability to make an accurate deep pass, or a well thrown out route. When the huskers have more offensive weapons in the pass game, the tight end will play an even bigger role.