What do you want to see from the offense in the next 3 games?

carlfense

What do I want to see from the offense?

Points.

Don't care how they get them.

What type of plays do you think give us the best chance of getting those points? Perhaps I should have chosen the title more carefully. I didn't realize that half of the replies would be some variation of "points,""wins," etc.

I know what you meant I was just being difficult :) .

I think we need to run variations of the power I. We ran quite a bit of the power I from a two tight end, one WR set. We need to spread the field a bit more. I think they should take away one of those tight ends and split out a WR, or just leave the five linemen and split out three WR's.

I would also like to see heavy tight end shot gun sets to run out of. We did a couple of them against Baylor and they worked well off of QB draws. I think Baylor's defense is a bit better than KU's defense, so I would expect this to work a bit more effectively.

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will.

yup.

he does.

coulda stopped right there. you just made the rest of your post moot.

if wats can't get the offense moving, none of us can.

I'm pretty sure of that.

Having said that...

Good effort. This is a message board and posting is what we do. :cheers

your post is much better.

I was just going to say---

just score lots of tds.

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will.

yup.

he does.

coulda stopped right there. you just made the rest of your post moot.

if wats can't get the offense moving, none of us can.

I'm pretty sure of that.

Having said that...

Good effort. This is a message board and posting is what we do. :cheers

your post is much better.

I was just going to say---

just score lots of tds.

Isn't everything on a message board moot?

Isn't everything on a message board moot?

hmmmm....

that's fairly deep.

over time??

most things.

I guess you could say things we say here are moot after our deaths. Especially years or decades after.

but everything?? that's pretty inclusive. No wiggle room in words like never or everything.

so I'm going with...

I don't think so.

But opinions vary. ;)

A 65-35 run-pass offense with no short passes or screens?

That sounds well reasoned.

65-35 run-pass? This year . . . absolutely. Our defense is world class. We probably only need to score 17 points a game to win the next 3. (that could be entirely wrong . . . just me speculating). Don't throw the defense into a hole by turning the ball over by slinging it all over the field. Give Helu/Robinson the ball and let them do their thing. If they don't score every drive . . . no big deal. Punt. Pin the other team deep and let the defense do their thing. It worked against the best team of our last 4. No reason it can't work again.

Edit: apparently our coaches are not well reasoned either . . . they ran 75% of the time against OU.

Follow up: Last four games . . .

Baylor = 64% running plays.

Oklahoma = 75% running plays.

Kansas = 66% running plays.

Kansas State = 70% running plays.

I really want to see them expand their running game a bit more. There is a difference between forcing a defense to stop you and making yourself too easy for the defense to stop you. If you want to have a successful running game, you need to be able to run out of different sets and you need to be able to throw the other team off with counters, options, stretch plays, etc.

Right now, all I see them running out of is basically the goal line set with one WR split out, and then the double tight end set with one back in the backfield. I know we have all been screaming for simplification, but simplification can only take you so far. I don't know if anybody watched the San Diego v. Denver game over the weekend, but the Chargers ran full back traps for 10 yards three or four times. Granted it was in garbage time, but my point still stands strong.

If you want to be a power football team, then you not only have to tell the opposing defense "try and stop us" but you also have to confuse them so they don't expect what's coming next.

I want to see points 100% of the time we are in the red zone. Of that 100%, I think it's a reasonable expectation to have a touchdown 75% of that time against Colorado and 60% of the time against Texas. Anything less than 100% when we're in the red zone against Texas will be quite deflating for our defense. On the flip side, consistent scoring in the red zone could be a great defensive motivator. Run, pass, kick, fumble it and have someone else run it in for you–I don't care, just get some points every time in the red zone. Is that too much to ask?