ND's mistake wasn't hiring Charlie Weis...

Well, maybe it was a mistake, but the mistake was proclaiming him "the annointed one" after just 7 games in his first season and creaming all over themselves to get the dude a 10 year multi-gazillion $$ contract so that no one else would poach him. I mean it was like this guy was the greatest coach to ever live, and ND just had to pin him down with some contract that no man had ever seen the likes of, or likely will again.

Ass hats.

When emotions take over smart business, bad things are sure to happen:

SOUTH BEND, Indiana -- It took Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis only seven games to earn a new contract.

Notre Dame has signed Weis to a new 10-year deal, the school announced Saturday.

The deal will make him the highest paid coach in college football, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Sources pegged the extension between $30 and $40 million. One source said it was closer to the high end of that range.

Weis originally had signed a six-year contract through the 2010 season when he was hired last December. This new deal takes effect next season and runs through 2015.

"Since the first day I arrived at Notre Dame as head football coach, one of my primary goals was to be able to see this job through to the time my son, Charlie, would graduate from the University of Notre Dame and to stay in this position until I retire," Weis said. "By restructuring this contract, adding an additional five years, this allows me to accomplish that goal.":snacks:

Weis has led the Fighting Irish, who began the season unranked, to a 5-2 mark and the No. 9 ranking. :espnsucks: Notre Dame also nearly upset top-ranked Southern California three weeks ago before coming up just short, 34-31.

"In a very short period of time, Charlie has clearly and impressively demonstrated the ability to take the Notre Dame program where we all want it to go," :hellloooo Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White said.

"We're excited that Charlie wanted to extend his commitment to Notre Dame, combined with the University's interest in furthering its relationship with him. All of us are enthusiastic about what the future holds for Notre Dame football with Charlie Weis as our head coach. We're confident that we've got the best coach in America ensconced at his alma mater :LOLtartar for the remainder of his career." :thumbs

You know I remember thinking back then that Weis was going to be a force. I mean he took these kids that were mid level bowl and took em to BCS and they came close to beating (and should have....damn officiating) that USC team that was one of the best teams ever...till Texass one uped em.

i thought he was going to do good things, but ND has such a low burden for being ranked high and getting into a BCS, he should have easily done a lot better.