Nebraska really does have a class program!

Twodocs

the fans are lead by a man that oozes class TO

:thumbs

Osborne issues statement on retiring Bowden

« Blog - Sports Writers

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

Filed by Mitch Sherman at 2:36 p.m.

Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne released a statement today about longtime friend Bobby Bowden, who announced his retirement today as Florida State football coach.

"I've been in communication with Bobby Bowden over the last few weeks and realize that this has been a difficult situation for him," Osborne said. " Football has lost a great representative, but at the same time Bobby, and all of us who know him and care about him, can reflect with admiration on his remarkable career.

"Bobby accomplished a standard of excellence that is unparalleled in major college football. Having played his teams on several occasions, I can attest to the excellence of his coaching and his preparation. On top of his outstanding won-loss record, Bobby has always been an excellent role model and has stood for the highest standards in athletic competition. I wish Bobby and his family well."

Osborne, 72, and Bowden, 80, matched coaching wits eight times, including bowl games after the 1987, 1989, 1992 and 1993 seasons. FSU won all four bowl games and split four regular-season games in Lincoln with NU in 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1986.

I'm teary eyed about Bowden's retirement like I was when Tom Osborne announced his retirement. I might not be a FSU fan, but Bobby Bowden is a class act. When FSU won the National Championship in 1993, while Bowden accepted the National Championship, he also exclaimed that "sometimes the better team doesn't always win". He was as gracious in defeat as he was in victory. I really hope he writes a book of his experiences now too.

I'm teary eyed about Bowden's retirement like I was when Tom Osborne announced his retirement. I might not be a FSU fan, but Bobby Bowden is a class act. When FSU won the National Championship in 1993, while Bowden accepted the National Championship, he also exclaimed that "sometimes the better team doesn't always win". He was as gracious in defeat as he was in victory. I really hope he writes a book of his experiences now too.

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowden-Way-Years-Lea...m/dp/1563526840

Always kinda thought of Bowden like Switzer in a way. Wanted to beat their brains in but at the end of the game there was always a mutual respect for their programs. Free Shoes U didnt always follow the rules, but they had some great teams with a coach everyone loved. Sounds familiar...............