Mangino Staying?

On KU's rivals site they had a mention of Harbaugh in the running. I found it laughable seeing as how he has something really good going on at Stanford. I don't see him leaving there unless he wants to get in the NFL or a much, much higher profile job than KU.

I think he *only* makes around 600-700k there and you'd figure the KU job could approach 1.5-2 million, but I would guess he remains with the Cardinal at least another year. Michigan could very well be open next year and he's an alum. I could see his agent going with this to get him a raise though.

On KU's rivals site they had a mention of Harbaugh in the running. I found it laughable seeing as how he has something really good going on at Stanford. I don't see him leaving there unless he wants to get in the NFL or a much, much higher profile job than KU.

I think he *only* makes around 600-700k there and you'd figure the KU job could approach 1.5-2 million, but I would guess he remains with the Cardinal at least another year. Michigan could very well be open next year and he's an alum. I could see his agent going with this to get him a raise though.

Can't remember the source, but I read earlier that Harbaugh's wife is a KC native and it could be factor in a potential decision....

This will probably get lost and re-posted a few times, but check out what Dennis Dodd has to say:

link

be sure to read to the very end too.

Kansas deserves better

Posted on: December 3, 2009 8:32 pm

Edited on: December 3, 2009 9:42 pm

Mark Mangino will never be a head coach again, not at this level.

Not at a place like Kansas where he took a basketball school to the Orange Bowl.

Not in the Big 12, where just two years ago he became national coach of the year. It is both troubling and just that Mangino is gone after allegations of verbal and physical abuse of his players. Troubling because if allegations are true, then dozens of coaches and players are guilty of staying silent -- for years.

Only during a season-ending seven-game losing streak did word leak out. Troubling because those same coaches and players were too intimidated to say anything, worried about losing their scholarships or their jobs.

Who knows how many other players and coaches have been put in this situation at other schools? At Kansas, a code of silence enabled a flawed man to allegedly belittle his players. The decision to get rid of the coach is just, because Mangino had to be stopped.

His methods went beyond tough love or aggressive coaching. If only a fraction of the episodes are true -- many will never come to light -- then Mangino has been in denial about his conduct for too long. At this point it seems that the terms of the settlement will keep us from ever knowing the true extent of the alleged abuse. Reports have some of the conduct going back decades to a high school job for Mangino in Pennsylvania.

We can only hope that Mangino becomes a better man. As a coach, he was a discliplinarian, a trait that belied his 400-pound frame. Based on the allegations, anger management counseling might be in order. Let's hope his alleged victims recover too. Now it's time to move on.

Buffalo's Turner Gill is a perfect replacement. Right now, he is No. 1 on AD Lew Perkins' list.

The interest, it seems, is mutual.

A good coach -- and a better man -- for Kansas is waiting in the wings.