Mangino Staying?

Lew Perkins announced two weeks ago that there was an ongoing investigation into unspecified allegations against Kansas Coach Mark Mangino. Since then we've heard... nothing – at least, we've heard nothing from Lew Perkins. We have, however, heard from several other teams across the country, notably Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame, all of whom fired their coaches within the last several days.

Kansas now has two problems. 1) If they fire Mangino they've put themselves behind three other schools who are already looking for a coach. All three are arguably better situations for a coach than Kansas, which is and always will be a basketball school first. 2) Since they have delayed any action on this "investigation" this long, they've run themselves into a pickle with recruiting. Mangino isn't out there on the recruiting trail, but his assistants are. It's a weird situation, and word is it's hurting recruiting.

If they want to can Mangino and are looking for "dirt" to save themselves the cost of his buyout, they've either got nothing or they've got so little it's worth nothing. If they've got something or they think they do, they're better off firing Mangino right now.

The fact that they haven't done anything yet makes me think they're not going to fire him. But if that's true, the Jayhawks are really screwing the pooch by letting this thing drag on. The longer it takes to make a decision, the more I think they're going to keep Mangino on, at least one more year.

Lew Perkins announced two weeks ago that there was an ongoing investigation into unspecified allegations against Kansas Coach Mark Mangino. Since then we've heard... nothing – at least, we've heard nothing from Lew Perkins. We have, however, heard from several other teams across the country, notably Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame, all of whom fired their coaches within the last several days.

Kansas now has two problems. 1) If they fire Mangino they've put themselves behind three other schools who are already looking for a coach. All three are arguably better situations for a coach than Kansas, which is and always will be a basketball school first. 2) Since they have delayed any action on this "investigation" this long, they've run themselves into a pickle with recruiting. Mangino isn't out there on the recruiting trail, but his assistants are. It's a weird situation, and word is it's hurting recruiting.

If they want to can Mangino and are looking for "dirt" to save themselves the cost of his buyout, they've either got nothing or they've got so little it's worth nothing. If they've got something or they think they do, they're better off firing Mangino right now.

The fact that they haven't done anything yet makes me think they're not going to fire him. But if that's true, the Jayhawks are really screwing the pooch by letting this thing drag on. The longer it takes to make a decision, the more I think they're going to keep Mangino on, at least one more year.

I beginning to think it was all BS and now they are trying to find a way to PR their way out of this mess. We may see a defamation of character suit out of this?

Ehhh, is that really worse than playing a kid with a concussion, though? Is it worse than making a kid run a mile in full pads with no water? Is it worse than any number of a dozen other things these guys do to these kids?

It's bad, don't get me wrong, but if THIS is why they fire Mangino... it's still not enough to make this look like it's not a witch hunt.

Ehhh, is that really worse than playing a kid with a concussion, though? Is it worse than making a kid run a mile in full pads with no water? Is it worse than any number of a dozen other things these guys do to these kids?

It's bad, don't get me wrong, but if THIS is why they fire Mangino... it's still not enough to make this look like it's not a witch hunt.

When Mangino threatened to burn Kipp's other hand due to a missed tackle probably does qualify as such.

When Mangino threatened to burn Kipp's other hand due to a missed tackle probably does qualify as such.

Haven't you ever had a boss that "threatened" you this way? Or a coach? This kind of motivational stuff isn't new. And players get injured all the time in practice, and coaches get pissed about it.

Not defending Mangino's behavior, but I have to agree with this.

Looks like they found their witch.

Again, not saying what Mangino did was OK. I wouldn't want someone doing that to my kid. But coaches use tactics that are "bullying" all the time, from Middle School to the Pros. These kinds of things aren't new, and they've gone on at Kansas before Mangino ever showed up on campus.

See that record you had this year, Lew? Get used to it.