2005 wish list

We played no one that year FF. We were lucky to open with OK State, later in the year I would not have bet on us. Michigan State, who knows they never do much in bowl games. You can cling to that if you want but you know it means absolutely nothing. We were killed by the top teams in the conference at the time. Embarrased is the word. Our 7-7 the year before indicated the talent. We won games by schemes divised by Pelini and put in motion by Williams. With out Super D we would have lost more I think. He made the team in my mind. Not Bullocks or Washington. My guess is neither will make and be down the road within 3 years. Take any bets on that?

My wish is to once again be able to walk down a street in any city in the United States with a Husker shirt on, knowing that we are the best in the land. Best football team, best moral character, best work ethic, best everything. That feeling that I had walking around in 1984, following the failed two point conversion. When people saw a Husker shirt then, they knew they were looking at a member of the great Husker Nation. A Nation of the most loyal, noble fans in the world, and followers of the greatest group of young athletes and coaches in the world. As a Husker and Nebraskan, I was at my very proudest on that day. I wish to have that amazing pride back!

The excitement about this season comes from the anticipation that my wish may be coming true very soon!

If the program was really in that bad of shape, how in the heck did they ever win 10 games the previous year??? Was that staff really that good at coaching these kids and gameplanning compared to the current regime????.

Honestly, why do you tend to come back to this argument time and time again? You actually prove your point very well most of the time and there is no doubt you are educated in Nebraska football, but this argument makes you, IMO, look like an ass. The 03' team that won 10 games was not the same that won 5 games in 04'. Just like the 01' team that played for a NC was not the same team that lost 7 games in 02'. This isn't anybody's opinion either, it's a fact, and a fairly easy fact to prove at that.

If the program was really in that bad of shape, how in the heck did they ever win 10 games the previous year??? Was that staff really that good at coaching these kids and gameplanning compared to the current regime????.

Honestly, why do you tend to come back to this argument time and time again? You actually prove your point very well most of the time and there is no doubt you are educated in Nebraska football, but this argument makes you, IMO, look like an ass. The 03' team that won 10 games was not the same that won 5 games in 04'. Just like the 01' team that played for a NC was not the same team that lost 7 games in 02'. This isn't anybody's opinion either, it's a fact, and a fairly easy fact to prove at that.

College football is always changing, players are always lost, you NEVER have the same team, year in, year out. It is a fact. The coaches have to find guys to fill the voids left by guys leaving.

We lost a qb who alot of people hated, and couple of playmakers on defense, but the majority of the starters from the 2003 team were back last year, especially on defense. Was the team the same, no. But ON PAPER, with an easier schedule, they should have been a better team in 2004.

The 95 team lost alot of guys from the 94 team, yet I think everyone would agree that they were much better than the 94 squad.

BTW, on this thread, I never compared the teams, (until now) as I have previously, and I never said that it was the same team :thumbs . Actually, I wanted to stay away from that topic. I just posed the question about if the program and if the talent level was that low, how did they ever win 10 games in 03?

We lost Hollowell and Williams. They were the defensive team FF. Without them, schemes, due to no pass rush had to be changed. The change was fought from the first day of practice. If there had been any talent on the bench Washington and Bullocks would have been riding the bench. Again a failure to procure the future. No DB's, No QB,s, No Dl's, No RE's. It is obvious if you just look.

We lost Hollowell and Williams.  They were the defensive team FF.  Without them, schemes, due to no pass rush had to be changed. 

They were very good players, but they could not have done it all by themselves. The current regime was going to run THEIR schemes come hell or highwater. That is the reason why they were unsuccessful, causing some players not to buy in.

If there had been any talent on the bench Washington and Bullocks would have been riding the bench. 

Im sure that this staff would have sat two of the top NFL draft choices, just because they didnt like the players. Conversely, thats why Bradley was named a starter.

Former,

I posted last November that both were told to leave, as a matter of fact both the Bullocks were asked to leave if they could not become team players. It appears Dan has bought in this year. I certainly hope so. We need his talent, but this year I would guess if there is a problem the problem children will be setting. There was a major cancer on the team last year. It appears it is gone. If so the staff will have more time to move forward this year. Again I do not think we should measure it in just wins and losses. Action performance deeds need to be monitored. If we see a move in the right direction as a team I will be happy.

Actually the loss of Jamaal Lord was just as big as losing Williams and Hollowell. Everyone hated him because it's always easy to blame the QB. If Lord would have had a line like Frazier, Frost, heck even Crouch, he would definitely be considered one of the better QB's we've ever had here. He was an awesome option QB, even in Frank's one dimensional offense.

Also, last year was Callahan expected to run the option? I'm sure he didn't know near as much as Frank did about the option, and that's not saying much, but what was he expected to run?

I think Frank going 7-7 in his 5th year, after being able to recruit all of his players for his offense and having his staff in place for so long, is much, much worse than BC going 5-6 with players brought in to run a completely different offense.

My wish is to once again be able to walk down a street in any city in the United States with a Husker shirt on, knowing that we are the best in the land. Best football team, best moral character, best work ethic, best everything. That feeling that I had walking around in 1984, following the failed two point conversion. When people saw a Husker shirt then, they knew they were looking at a member of the great Husker Nation. A Nation of the most loyal, noble fans in the world, and followers of the greatest group of young athletes and coaches in the world. As a Husker and Nebraskan, I was at my very proudest on that day. I wish to have that amazing pride back!

The excitement about this season comes from the anticipation that my wish may be coming true very soon!

Welcome GoBigEd!! Well said, and awesome avatar. :horns2