offensive woes

shyndy

So, I don't think I've seen anyone mention this. I was thinking about the fact that the coaches on offense come from so many places. The only two that are from the same system are Gilmore and Watson. Ron Brown is from the 90's nebraska, you could lump Cotton and Brown together probably but they were only in the same place one season. Then Beck from Kansas.

Basically I'm wondering if the problems stem from having so many coaches with different philosophies. You have a guy from the triple option days, you have a guy that is more of a spread option/ power run guy, you have a true spread guy, and two WCO guys.

thoughts?

So, I don't think I've seen anyone mention this. I was thinking about the fact that the coaches on offense come from so many places. The only two that are from the same system are Gilmore and Watson. Ron Brown is from the 90's nebraska, you could lump Cotton and Brown together probably but they were only in the same place one season. Then Beck from Kansas.

Basically I'm wondering if the problems stem from having so many coaches with different philosophies. You have a guy from the triple option days, you have a guy that is more of a spread option/ power run guy, you have a true spread guy, and two WCO guys.

thoughts?

I've been saying for some time that the big problem was that the staff apparently doesn't know what they want to do with the offense going forward. The Texas game did us likely more harm in recruiting offensive players than it helped in getting defensive studs here. We looked worse than awful and with Bo yelling at the QB on the sidelines we looked totally clueless and dysfunctional. Other tirades at offensive coaches and players in other televised games in which our offense played poorly didn't do much to bring kids to be a part of the "Husker family" , I would guess.

No kid who is highly recruited and not from Nebraska and in love with Huskerball is going to go somewhere in chaos. Rumors abound that the offensive coaches will be or should be fired. The ultra conservative play of late, likely by necessity, will be judged by many potential recruits as the way we want to go. It may be the case depending on what Watson's comments to Gabbert quoted mean.

At any rate, before we get top quality and possible game breakers on offense, we have to settle on an offensive philosophy and explain it to the kids and get them to buy into it.

Being invited to be a Husker doesn't mean what it used to in these out of state kids. We are simply one of many teams below the elites of college football struggling to get better.

We need the staff to settle down. We need less public displays of rants. We need an offensive scheme that we are going to play and stick with and the coaches that believe in it. If Bo ain't happy with it- it's like Momma not being happy--it just won't work. If he wants a power running attack or an option game that throws the ball very seldom, get the staff that buys into that and recruit the kids to make it go. We are in danger of having a very poor recruiting year. So far Bo has done well with Callahan's talent. That means nothing if he can't get an offense and recruit!! Don't blame the kids when it's our lack of focus on offense that has fans shaking their heads, coaches saying different things and recruits saying "No thank you".

You'd think Bo would want to take the reins of hiring the next offensive staff, assuming that's what happens?

It'd be in his best interest to find people he knows that understands his expectations and will gel with his persona. That way everyone is on the same page.

His connections with the NFL and NCAA should benefit him in his search if he doesn't already have someone in mind?

i guess the interesting thing about our situation, and why I'm skeptical to think anyone will get fired is because outside of Watson and Gilmore its kinda hard to get rid of the other guys. I mean Cotton is a NU guy, same with Ron Brown (and seriously how can you fire this guy?) Beck is a childhood friend and the backs have looked good anyway. How many OC's are gonna want to come in and be stuck with half their staff? And wouldn't we potentially run into the same problem?

thoughts?

I really wonder if Cotton and Watson really get along...

You'd think Bo would want to take the reins of hiring the next offensive staff, assuming that's what happens?

It'd be in his best interest to find people he knows that understands his expectations and will gel with his persona. That way everyone is on the same page.

His connections with the NFL and NCAA should benefit him in his search if he doesn't already have someone in mind?

He bought in Brown, Beck, Cotton so the chances of him firing them is moot at best. Gilmore and Watson were the hold overs. Why Gilmore was allowed to stay, I have no idea.