The Forgotten Man

As others have said, Hunter, it is not true and never was. Keller beat out Ganz for the job. Ganz, however, really turned it on in the games and had the complete support of his teammates, unlike Keller, and that was what made the difference. It doesn't change the fact that Keller just won the job, like 90% of us wanted and expected. Hindsight's something, isn't it?

Now, I have no direct knowledge of the situation, but I suspect neither do you. But I am going off on what people more in the know have said, and it seems - correct me if I am wrong - that you are purely speculating.

I see what your saying. My point is simply this, Zac Lee and Cody Green based on how they 'practiced' got the lions share of time this year at quarterback. There wasn't much room for anyone else. However Joe Ganz is a perfect example of how a talanted player who may not have practiced (apparently) as well as the guy before him can indeed come in and perform better than the guy above him on the depth chart when things really matter i/e when playing in an actual game. Nebraska's offense was absolutely pathetic this year. It's time to shake things up a bit and start looking at some other guys and by that I mean giving guys like Washington or whomever actual playing time to see what they can do because if anyone's offense needs a major shot in the arm right now it is ours.

There's a big difference between a hardworking kid who put in his time to completely earn the system for four years and become the No.2 QB, and a guy who didn't work hard or put in the mental reps for the LINEBACKER position and who is in his first season as a QB.

Let's not forget, this Ganz kid got reps over Harrison Beck (didn't he?), was Taylor's No.2, fought Keller pretty close in what most figured was just coach speak to keep Ganz from leaving, and then got his shot as a No.2 coming in for No.1's injury.

LTW couldn't sniff the rotation at linebacker in spite of his immense physical talent, his years in the system, the VERY RARE level of need we had at LB last year. Instead of cracking the LB rotation, coaches went to a newly converted RB and a couple of true freshman walk-ons - one of them a walk-on SAFETY at the time - to fill the void. And despite this year's huge hole at QB and the HUGE need to redshirt Cody Green, LTW never gave coaches that possibility and we went after a transfer like Paulus and rushed Spano back from injury. And on top of that, even after deciding to forgo Cody's redshirt, LTW got stuck into a couple games so that he wouldn't be saving this year.

Sure does not sound like coaches are looking at him as even having 2-deep potential. But no doubt he is playing an important role on the team, especially this year, and something that is very needed. I'm sure he's a good kid, too...I am just extremely bewildered at the basis on which people are thinking he is going to learn the O down pat.

There's a big difference between a hardworking kid who put in his time to completely earn the system for four years and become the No.2 QB, and a guy who didn't work hard or put in the mental reps for the LINEBACKER position and who is in his first season as a QB.

LTW never gave coaches that possibility and we went after a transfer like Paulus and rushed Spano back from injury. And on top of that, even after deciding to forgo Cody's redshirt, LTW got stuck into a couple games so that he wouldn't be saving this year.

I am just extremely bewildered at the basis on which people are thinking he is going to learn the O down pat.

Well LTW before making the switch from linebacker to quarterback before the season started hadn't played quarterback since high school. Cody Green has been doing nothing but playing quarterback in a similar system taboot his entire career so for him he essentially had no break from playing the position. It makes perfect sense that LTW would be last on the list of quarterbacks to even come close to learning the system. I think people are forgetting this and rushing to judgment and assuming that he just wasn't 'as good' as the two guys before him. LTW basically has 1 season of being a quarterback in Nebraska's system under his belt. One season. I'm not saying he should be our quarterback but I will say that after this season as far as our quarterback is concerned I want to see what some other guys can do, him included.

If I'm not mistaken LTW is going to be a senior next year. He'll have had one year under his belt. Coaches didn't try to redshirt him to give him another year down the line. Yea, it's only his first year now, but I don't see LTW ever getting the time in the system to overcome the guys ahead of him...

I do think we'll get to see what he can do though. I mean, now is as good a time as any for him, he can't ask for better circumstances. But the fact that he wasn't even considered for a RS is pretty indicative, in my view. Maybe he'll show something in the spring and get shirted next year? That would be the best case scenario, probably.

I do think we'll get to see what he can do though. I mean, now is as good a time as any for him, he can't ask for better circumstances. But the fact that he wasn't even considered for a RS is pretty indicative, in my view. Maybe he'll show something in the spring and get shirted next year? That would be the best case scenario, probably.

I don't see him getting redshirted at this stage of his career especially with Cody Green being only a sophomore next season and being the quarterback with the most potential in the eyes of the coaches.

I just hope we get it together at quarterback and someone (I don't care who!) steps up and gives the great defense we should have coming back next year a bit of a break. Our offense is going to be scrutinized more than ever next season. :snacks:

As others have said, Hunter, it is not true and never was. Keller beat out Ganz for the job. Ganz, however, really turned it on in the games and had the complete support of his teammates, unlike Keller, and that was what made the difference. It doesn't change the fact that Keller just won the job, like 90% of us wanted and expected. Hindsight's something, isn't it?

Now, I have no direct knowledge of the situation, but I suspect neither do you. But I am going off on what people more in the know have said, and it seems - correct me if I am wrong - that you are purely speculating.

I see what your saying. My point is simply this, Zac Lee and Cody Green based on how they 'practiced' got the lions share of time this year at quarterback. There wasn't much room for anyone else. However Joe Ganz is a perfect example of how a talanted player who may not have practiced (apparently) as well as the guy before him can indeed come in and perform better than the guy above him on the depth chart when things really matter i/e when playing in an actual game. Nebraska's offense was absolutely pathetic this year. It's time to shake things up a bit and start looking at some other guys and by that I mean giving guys like Washington or whomever actual playing time to see what they can do because if anyone's offense needs a major shot in the arm right now it is ours.

Let's not forget, this Ganz kid got reps over Harrison Beck (didn't he?), was Taylor's No.2, fought Keller pretty close in what most figured was just coach speak to keep Ganz from leaving, and then got his shot as a No.2 coming in for No.1's injury.

LTW couldn't sniff the rotation at linebacker in spite of his immense physical talent, his years in the system, the VERY RARE level of need we had at LB last year. Instead of cracking the LB rotation, coaches went to a newly converted RB and a couple of true freshman walk-ons - one of them a walk-on SAFETY at the time - to fill the void. And despite this year's huge hole at QB and the HUGE need to redshirt Cody Green, LTW never gave coaches that possibility and we went after a transfer like Paulus and rushed Spano back from injury. And on top of that, even after deciding to forgo Cody's redshirt, LTW got stuck into a couple games so that he wouldn't be saving this year.

Sure does not sound like coaches are looking at him as even having 2-deep potential. But no doubt he is playing an important role on the team, especially this year, and something that is very needed. I'm sure he's a good kid, too...I am just extremely bewildered at the basis on which people are thinking he is going to learn the O down pat.

excellent in all areas....... :facepalm::thumbs

excellent in all areas....... :facepalm::thumbs

How Latravis did at linebacker has nothing to do with his ability to play qb. He never played backer before he came to NU, they tried him there because of his size and skill set. I'm sure Zac and Cody wouldn't have fared too well on defense either. It really surprises me that anyone who's seen this guy play qb in practice, scrimmages, or games wouldn't want this guy to get a chance. The theme for football these days is to get your athletes the ball and the wildcat is the latest craze. NU ran it last year with Marlon Lucky. Now you have this guy who is 6'3" 225, and runs some where around a 4.5 with a strong arm and you don't want this guy to see the field??? I wish we used our talent. If they feel like Cody is the future, they could have Cody and Zac run whatever offense Wats plans to run next year while Latravis is the Wildcat/Tebow guy.