Birkle still talking about Nebraska

"My loyalty starts right now," said Birkel, the newest member of the UNC team, making the move from Lincoln, Neb., to Greeley.

"I think I got a bad rap at Nebraska," he said.

Rest of article

I am sure everyone remembers this article

A coin has 2 sides to it Andy. Attitude reflects the type of player you are, and the way you lashed out at the coaching staff showed that. It's also common knowledge that he slacked off during summer conditioning last year. Him and Bernard Thomas whined the most about Dave Kennedy's workout program. It's one thing to think you are good, it's another to think you are BETTER then the rest of your team mates. Confidence is fine, arrogance is unacceptable. The sad thing about all this is he is blaming Callahan for runing him off the team, when Gill was the guy responsible for the WR depth. A kid who just couldn't grasp the reality of the matter icon9.gif

Lol! I love it when slow, untalented, white wide receivers get an ego like that! I am glad he is off of the team. It was pretty obvious that he wasnt going to contribute on the field, but at least he could have helped off the field, which apparantly he thought was beneath him. Go home and whine now that you wont get playing time for you blocking abilities.

Lol! I love it when slow, untalented, white wide receivers get an ego like that!

:huh: This guy was the state 100 meter champ in 2003, probably one of the fastest players on the team. It's pretty obvious the reason he didn't play is because of his attitude. I think Nameless hit the nail on the head with this statement:

It's one thing to think you are good, it's another to think you are BETTER then the rest of your team mates. Confidence is fine, arrogance is unacceptable. The sad thing about all this is he is blaming Callahan for runing him off the team, when Gill was the guy responsible for the WR depth. A kid who just couldn't grasp the reality of the matter

Lol! I love it when slow, untalented, white wide receivers get an ego like that! I am glad he is off of the team. It was pretty obvious that he wasnt going to contribute on the field, but at least he could have helped off the field, which apparantly he thought was beneath him. Go home and whine now that you wont get playing time for you blocking abilities.

The "slow" and "untalented" parts I get. Whats with the "white" reference? Are you saying white players can't be good receivers? (Steve Largent?) Or are you saying white players can't have an ego?

Either way this doesn't belong around here.

And Birkel was extremely fast. If only 8 or 9 guys are faster than him (as you say) on a team of 100, I'd say that's fast.

Just this... There is, in the entire NFL, only one white wide receiver that is an explosive play maker. I did make a mistake by using the term the way I did, and I should have only referred to Birkel himself, and I apologize. That being said, I still think that Birkel had very little talent, and when you play wide receiver, which is supposed to be the fastest position on the field, and you weigh about 185, you better be one of the fastest players on the team, and you better let your play do your talking. Once again I am sorry, but I do not retract the spirit of my argument.

There is a difference between track speed and football speed. I have seen Birkle run in pads... He is no faster than 8 or 9 other guys on the team.

Like another poster just said, if ONLY 8 people are faster than you on a squad of 125, that means you are slow? :dumdum There is a difference between track speed and football speed, yes, but the one time I saw Birkel run with the football(an end around in the Southern Miss '03 game) he looked very fast. I'm not gonna chastise you for the white comment because it's already been done, but c'mon, the reason Birkel sat was because he had a bad attitude. I never got to see him enough to tell if he was talented or not, but I know he is fast.

I agree DJR-his attitude was his only problem, and that is what held him back from making an actual contribution to the program. If a guy has the determination to work hard enough and wants to play football, then he is going to succeed. Can anyone say Rudy? I am not saying Birkel is a Rudy story, but he never showed the work ethic and will to be part of the team.

I can think of some more problems he had. Lack of hands, inability to run routes, having three or four other receivers who were just as fast as he was. Come on guys, this is like Incognito minus the talent and criminal record. It's not like this guy was a top one hundred recruit or something. He was not a good wide receiver, and he was a whiner. Both contributed to him not playing. It's not like Florida or Oklahoma, or USC were all over this guy coming out of high school, so I dont get where you guys are drawing your conclusions from on his talent.