1995 Huskers the best college football team ever?

Herbstreit looks pretty bad when he questions whether the 95 Huskers played any tough competition.

That team was the best EVER, no doubt.

He looked like an idiot when he said that. If you're going to be the one questioning all the results, at least get your facts straight. Four top-ten teams in your schedule isn't exactly what constitutes a "lack of competition."

He also asks whether Nebraska threw the football in the 70s, yet was ok with dogging '71, too. I can see he's consciously giving more love to Nebraska because he has a full-on for Bo but he has historically hated Nebraska, much like Keith "Whoa Nelly!" Jackson and Brent My-Brain-is-Mush-berger.

I thought Herbstreets biggest gripe wasn't the fact that the 95 team was in the final, it was because the 71 team had beaten teams he thinks they had no reason to beat. After that I think he was mostly anti-Nebraska no matter what.

He said the two best teams in there were the 2001 Hurricanes and the 2004 Trojans which, IIRC, came from different brackets. Nebraska 95 and 71 took them out, respectively, in those brackets.

Herby was really only upset about 71 team beating the 04 USC team, after that, he was already just pissed so he decided to bash the others...and in the heat of the moment he said "01 miami and the 04 usc team were best in this"

if you rewind a bit he does say that he'd "take it" if it was 04 usc and 95 nebraska. Thats when blackledge is breakin it down.

either way it was a sour moment for herby, but I still think he's is top 3 if not the best guy at ESPN by some peoples standards.

Herby was really only upset about 71 team beating the 04 USC team, after that, he was already just pissed so he decided to bash the others...and in the heat of the moment he said "01 miami and the 04 usc team were best in this"

if you rewind a bit he does say that he'd "take it" if it was 04 usc and 95 nebraska. Thats when blackledge is breakin it down.

either way it was a sour moment for herby, but I still think he's is top 3 if not the best guy at ESPN by some peoples standards.

I think the 83 team was the best but they never get the props. Fryar, Rozier and Gill, the triplets were pretty amazing. Steinkuhler was a top 3 pick too. If the USFL isn't around, Rozier, Fryar and Steinkuhler go 1, 2, 3. I don't think that has ever happened. Gill, according to Charlie McBride was the all time best at running the Husker offense.

They lost to Miami with Rozier getting hurt after the first half (165 yards) and Fryar dropping a sure TD!!!

They still should of won that game. Look at the highlights. 40 second mark, Rozier has a Bo moment and pill drives a defender 5 yards into the end zone.

I don't think this team is even mentioned in the top 50 all time.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/83-huske...cid=VIDURVSPR06

I don't remember enough about the 70, 71 teams to know if they were better or not.

I think the 83 team was the best but they never get the props. Fryar, Rozier and Gill, the triplets were pretty amazing. Steinkuhler was a top 3 pick too. If the USFL isn't around, Rozier, Fryar and Steinkuhler go 1, 2, 3. I don't think that has ever happened. Gill, according to Charlie McBride was the all time best at running the Husker offense.

They lost to Miami with Rozier getting hurt after the first half (165 yards) and Fryar dropping a sure TD!!!

They still should of won that game. Look at the highlights. 40 second mark, Rozier has a Bo moment and pill drives a defender 5 yards into the end zone.

I don't think this team is even mentioned in the top 50 all time.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/83-huske...cid=VIDURVSPR06

I don't remember enough about the 70, 71 teams to know if they were better or not.

They're not mentioned because they barely had a defensive unit fielded. With an above-mediocre defense they never would have lost to Miami. They were also dubbed "The Scoring Explosion" because that's how they beat teams.

Does anyone have a link to the entire series of ESPN's Greatest Team of All Time? I've been looking for a while and can't seem to find anything other than the Herbstreit clip. I'd love to see the whole thing.

Having seen both the 1971 and 1995 teams, I would lean towards the 1971 team. I posted on another thread here why I thought the 71 team had the greatest defense of the two. 71's offense was great too. All their games but the Oklahoma game was over at half time or before. They always took out their starters about half way through the 3rd quarter. Had they left them in more into the middle of the 4th quarter like they seem to these days, their scoring and defensive statistics would have been even better.

The 71 team beat the year end second, third and fourth teams in the polls. Oklahoma was the second team and Alabama the third who was undefeated until we killed them. Colorado we also beat badly and their only 2 losses that year were to NU and Ok. The rest of our schedule that year wasn't a cupcake schedule either. Does anybody know if there has ever been a National CHampionship team that has beaten the numbers 2, 3 and 4 teams (that were rated that at the end of the year)?

I know it's hard to rate teams because of different variables. It's hard for lot of the husker fans that weren't around to see the 71 team play to judge them. I never saw the good Oklahoma teams of the 50's so I have no idea how good they were.

Also, you couldn't line up the 71 and 95 teams and judge them because of the huge size difference of the players during the different eras. 95 players were so much bigger and faster than the 71 guys. I'm judging the 71 players versus the average players size and speed of the time when they played. Anyway, that's my opinion.

OK just went back and watched this game again for the first time in 14 years. I was kinda tipsy during that Fiesta Bowl and didn't really fully appreciate what that Husker team did.

In that championship game you had an undefeated Florida team led by Danny Wuerffel who had best passing efficiency season in college football (210 completions-325 attempts-3266 passing yards-35 TD passes) He was absolutely shut down by the Blackshirts of Wistrom, Peter brothers and Farley.

Tommie Frazier really should've won Heisman that year he was the best player in college football. Had 199 yards RUSHING in game vs Florida and Lawrence Phillips had close to 165 yards rushing.

In the end Nebraska set school records in a bowl for total yards of 629, rushing yards of about 520, individual rushing yards in a game by both Frazier and Phillips and most points scored. People argued that Osborne shouldn't have played Phillips but his backup Ahman Green had a great NFL career with the Packers so I really don't think that was the factor.

25-0 during that 94/95 back to back National Championship season and if it was wasn't for a missed FG at the last minutes of the game in 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State in their 18-16 loss we would've been THREE PEAT champions.

Now USC back to back championship teams a few years back with Linehart and Reggie Bush were one of the best ever but that stretch in the mid 90s by Huskers I don't think will ever be surpassed.

The 1997 Huskers beat the Tennessee Vols against one of the best NFL QBs ever in Peyton Manning. They put up 42 points and 534 total yards against them and had to share the national title which was a joke.

So if not for a missed FG in 94 Orange Bowl the Huskers would've had national titles in 93/94/95 and 97 season. Had 36 wins in that 93-95 team stretch.

Ok so I made my argument so who else was that dominant other than USC a few years ago?

I'll only add that Frazier was the second best player on that team. :snacks: