Q&A With Recruiting Analyst Tom Luginbill

:)

Ok sir. I will sure do that. :)

Relax man. You sound like you are getting pretty worked up. Could that STILL be stemming back from when you got Rick Rolled?

It's annoying when you say "Again. Do your homework." when you don't even bother reading the post. Stop to think about what someone is saying before assuming that you know more than they do. It will save you some embarrassment.

The rick rolling thing just convinces me that you are somewhere between 16 and 20 years of age with all of the attendant consequences. You might understand as you mature.

Edit: just checked. 20 years old. Figured.

I think he's exactly right. We've missed on a few offensive players with this class, but even those guys weren't all that exciting to me. Nebraska just doesn't have the national presence yet that brings in the elite skill position (QB, WR, RB specifically) kids. We need to be on TV a lot more. Not PPV, real TV. Bo's doing a great job getting some killer defensive players, but to take the next step he's got to bring in some big time athletes on offense. I'd say we're real close though, and a top 15 class next year would really put us in the top tier of teams in the country.

I don't think you can include RB in your commentary. We've got an elite (arguably) RB in this class in Braylon Heard. High 4 star . . . ranked 57th overall by Rivals. (Plus we appear to be the front runner for the best RB in the country in 2011.)

I'd agree with your QB/WR argument.

Again. Do your homework. This was going to be a defense heavy year to begin with because of the unbalance of scholarship players on that side of the ball and FUTURE depth purposes. You recruit to fill future needs not present ones.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I KNOW this is going to be a defense heavy class and I fully understand and agree with that. However, look at our current WR recruits. Although I am excited about the potential of Enunwa and Bell it would take a real Nebraska homer to say that they are "elite" prospects. Also . . . look at our QB situation (or lack thereof). We have no QB recruit and are left scrambling for leftovers or de-commits.

Again, I don't think our recruiting is in shambles and I KNOW that it is a defense heavy class. However, the author was saying that we don't have any elite skill players. Other than our RB commit I would agree with that argument. I'm not saying that we need MORE offensive skill position players.

Try a little reading comprehension, buddy. (I guess that would be right in line with your "do your homework comment." If you did your homework you might understand what I am saying.)

What is your definition of elite? Personally I think Enunwa is close to an elite prospect. He was already blown up to a very high 3 star status with a 5.7 rating, right on the bubble of 4 Stars that starts at 5.8. Eric Martin was the same way last year out of the same HS. I would call him an elite LB prospect right now, Pete Carroll thinks he missed out on a great one. IMO I see elite prospects at 3 of the 4 skill type positions on Offense. Chase Harper is an elite prospect at TE for sure, 4 Stars and 28th best overall JUCO prospect nationally. Chase is also a 3 to play 3 guy like Kinnie was so that adds to his value. Braylon Heard is an elite prospect at RB for sure, 4 Stars and 57th best overall prospect Nationally per Rivals. I would argue that NU got an elite player at WR, at the very least a very good one in Enunwa. Kenny Bell isn't a slouch either, he is also a 5.7, 3 Star prospect; Kenny had an offer from TT to play WR, that is pretty good to me. Overall I love what NU has in those 3 spots; while I would have loved to have Curtis Carter still, those 3 positions were filled very nicely IMO. NU doesn't have a QB in this class YET. If NU gets Carnes, a 4 Star prospect and 7th Best Dual-Threat QB Nationally per Rivals, I would classify that as an elite get. If NU pulls that off I see elite prospects for sure at QB, RB, and TE, and I would also say that the WR position is just fine as well.

What is your definition of elite? Personally I think Enunwa is close to an elite prospect. He was already blown up to a very high 3 star status with a 5.7 rating, right on the bubble of 4 Stars that starts at 5.8. Eric Martin was the same way last year out of the same HS. I would call him an elite LB prospect right now, Pete Carroll thinks he missed out on a great one. IMO I see elite prospects at 3 of the 4 skill type positions on Offense. Chase Harper is an elite prospect at TE for sure, 4 Stars and 28th best overall JUCO prospect nationally. Chase is also a 3 to play 3 guy like Kinnie was so that adds to his value. Braylon Heard is an elite prospect at RB for sure, 4 Stars and 57th best overall prospect Nationally per Rivals. I would argue that NU got an elite player at WR, at the very least a very good one in Enunwa. Kenny Bell isn't a slouch either, he is also a 5.7, 3 Star prospect; Kenny had an offer from TT to play WR, that is pretty good to me. Overall I love what NU has in those 3 spots; while I would have loved to have Curtis Carter still, those 3 positions were filled very nicely IMO. NU doesn't have a QB in this class YET. If NU gets Carnes, a 4 Star prospect and 7th Best Dual-Threat QB Nationally per Rivals, I would classify that as an elite get. If NU pulls that off I see elite prospects for sure at QB, RB, and TE, and I would also say that the WR position is just fine as well.

I'm not exactly sure what my definition of elite is. It's certainly not a concrete value. If you look at my posting history you'll see that I'm certainly not a "star-gazer" but if a prospect has 5 stars it is probably safe to say that he has elite potential.

I'll agree with you that Enunwa is very close to what I'd consider elite. (However, many times I'm more impressed by an offer list than by stars. Take Jay Guy for example. I'd argue he is elite (even though he is a 3 star) based on his HS production, his measurables, and his offer list. On the other hand, Enunwa has good measurables and good HS production, but was only offered by us and Washington State. That might raise an eyebrow.)

Chase Harper may or may not be elite. Even the recruiting sites agree that their rankings of JUCOs are hit or miss. Also, if we are talking skill positions it depends on what your definition of skill positions is. I'd argue that in the offense we ran in 2009 TEs are not skill positions. For whatever reason, Watson used them primarily as blockers. (Don't even get me started on the waste of McNeill's talent.)

Also, while Carnes may be the 7th best dual threat QB in the nation I'd guess that he is probably not in the top 20 for quarterbacks overall. When you are competing for a QB with the likes of Western Kentucky and South Florida there is probably a good chance that he does not have elite potential. Also, can you tell me that you aren't concerned that we are still scrambling to find a QB with only a couple weeks left before signing day? I know the coaches have said that we will only take a QB if he is the right fit . . . but they sure look to be in a panic to find someone.

Anyways. All we're talking here is potential. They still have to produce on the field.

:)

Ok sir. I will sure do that. :)

Relax man. You sound like you are getting pretty worked up. Could that STILL be stemming back from when you got Rick Rolled?

It's annoying when you say "Again. Do your homework." when you don't even bother reading the post. Stop to think about what someone is saying before assuming that you know more than they do. It will save you some embarrassment.

The rick rolling thing just convinces me that you are somewhere between 16 and 20 years of age with all of the attendant consequences. You might understand as you mature.

Edit: just checked. 20 years old. Figured.

You looked at my profile to see my age?

Your comment about "knowing more than they do" is just odd. I share what I know and if that hurts your feelings then I am sorry. In three years of following NU recruiting you tend to gather plenty of info.

Yes. I did misread your post. I will admit it. I apologize.

You have singled me out a few times now when I post. I left rivals because that is what people did on there is single you out and argue the dumbest things. Please dont make this another rivals site.

Like I said above. I did misread your post. Please accept my apology.

Have a nice day.

Your comment about "knowing more than they do" is just odd. I share what I know and if that hurts your feelings then I am sorry. In three years of following NU recruiting you tend to gather plenty of info.

You have singled me out a few times now when I post. I left rivals because that is what people did on there is single you out and argue the dumbest things. Please dont make this another rivals site.

Have a nice day.

Thanks. You too.

In case you were wondering when you said "again, do your homework" you are implying that you know more than I do. I found that ironic because you didn't even bother reading what I wrote.

Have a good one.

(edit: Also, don't take it personally. When I see something that I think is wrong or ridiculous I will comment on it. Who you are has nothing to do with it. Apologies.)

I'm not exactly sure what my definition of elite is. It's certainly not a concrete value. If you look at my posting history you'll see that I'm certainly not a "star-gazer" but if a prospect has 5 stars it is probably safe to say that he has elite potential.

I'll agree with you that Enunwa is very close to what I'd consider elite. (However, many times I'm more impressed by an offer list than by stars. Take Jay Guy for example. I'd argue he is elite (even though he is a 3 star) based on his HS production, his measurables, and his offer list. On the other hand, Enunwa has good measurables and good HS production, but was only offered by us and Washington State. That might raise an eyebrow.)

Chase Harper may or may not be elite. Even the recruiting sites agree that their rankings of JUCOs are hit or miss. Also, if we are talking skill positions it depends on what your definition of skill positions is. I'd argue that in the offense we ran in 2009 TEs are not skill positions. For whatever reason, Watson used them primarily as blockers. (Don't even get me started on the waste of McNeill's talent.)

Also, while Carnes may be the 7th best dual threat QB in the nation I'd guess that he is probably not in the top 20 for quarterbacks overall. When you are competing for a QB with the likes of Western Kentucky and South Florida there is probably a good chance that he does not have elite potential. Also, can you tell me that you aren't concerned that we are still scrambling to find a QB with only a couple weeks left before signing day? I know the coaches have said that we will only take a QB if he is the right fit . . . but they sure look to be in a panic to find someone.

Anyways. All we're talking here is potential. They still have to produce on the field.

Regarding the TE's I would agree that when Bo had the O go in a shell for 4 games it isn't a skill position. But in the regular offense that they want to run, the TE is a big part of the offense as evidenced in 2008. They want to go back to doing what they did in 2008, they have repeatedly said that and the Bowl Game showed that. For a staff that doesn't take a lot of JUCO's to offer Chase shows me something, I think he will be a good one.

Not sure where Carnes would rank overall in the QB's per Rivals as I can't seem to find a combined rating list. I know that he is considered the 51st best athlete in Florida this year, that is pretty good IMO. I would say he is elite.

Regarding scrambling to get a QB, I sense that a bit, but I also sense that the staff has a few prospects the wanted to get a closer look at. They are doing that now and only 1 has a visit confirmed. Regardless of how it happens, it will have happened. Style points don't count, results do.

I wonder if Tom L. will change his tune if NU gets Owa, Cooper, and Carnes to commit. Doing that will put NU close to 15-20 on Rivals, but won't really address his issues with the NU class. If he thinks that Carnes alone solves all of the issues he sees in NU's skill position recruiting efforts, then I will start dismissing anything he says going forward.

Have a nice day.

Thanks. You too.

In case you were wondering when you said "again, do your homework" you are implying that you know more than I do. I found that ironic because you didn't even bother reading what I wrote.

Have a good one.

(edit: Also, don't take it personally. When I see something that I think is wrong or ridiculous I will comment on it. Who you are has nothing to do with it. Apologies.)

I read it I just misread it. What I thought you were saying was what everybody else seems to say when talking offensive recruiting. Which is something along the lines of "Bo knows nothing about it." So with that misinterpretation I was a bit frustraited because Bo knows what he is doing.

Edit: Not everybody but the people that truely dont know what they are talking about

Regarding the TE's I would agree that when Bo had the O go in a shell for 4 games it isn't a skill position. But in the regular offense that they want to run, the TE is a big part of the offense as evidenced in 2008. They want to go back to doing what they did in 2008, they have repeatedly said that and the Bowl Game showed that. For a staff that doesn't take a lot of JUCO's to offer Chase shows me something, I think he will be a good one.

Not sure where Carnes would rank overall in the QB's per Rivals as I can't seem to find a combined rating list. I know that he is considered the 51st best athlete in Florida this year, that is pretty good IMO. I would say he is elite.

Regarding scrambling to get a QB, I sense that a bit, but I also sense that the staff has a few prospects the wanted to get a closer look at. They are doing that now and only 1 has a visit confirmed. Regardless of how it happens, it will have happened. Style points don't count, results do.

I wonder if Tom L. will change his tune if NU gets Owa, Cooper, and Carnes to commit. Doing that will put NU close to 15-20 on Rivals, but won't really address his issues with the NU class. If he thinks that Carnes alone solves all of the issues he sees in NU's skill position recruiting efforts, then I will start dismissing anything he says going forward.

Great post. I agree with all of this except I'd probably still waffle on the Carnes being elite part.

If we got Owa, Cooper, and Carnes I would be absolutely ecstatic.

Great post. I agree with all of this except I'd probably still waffle on the Carnes being elite part.

If we got Owa, Cooper, and Carnes I would be absolutely ecstatic.

Actually Kenny's offer was to play DB at TT from what I rememeber. But I could be pulling a Roger Clemens and "misremembering." But he had a growth spurt between his junior and senior year in which he grew 4 inches and gained close to 30 lbs. He was in contact with Texas after that Apo kid committed to BYU. But not to much came of that.

Quincy is my favorite offensive player in this class. He is underrecruited just like Eric Martin was last year from the same HS. I have high expectations for him.

Dont know too much about Harper other than Sean Callahan says he is an oversized wide out like Jermicheal Findley from the Packers.

With that said I think we got a good crop of offensive skilled players this year.

Have a nice day.

Thanks. You too.

Have a good one.

Ok, I haven't posted for a while, but I need to step into this thread between these family members (they must be right?).

Would you two please get a room and, "Hug it out! B!"

Couldn't resist the temptation to drop a Michael Scott line...

So did we decide 20 year olds can still post on this board? I just signed up and was all pumped to talk Husker talk with all these cool personalities I've been observing for a while now.

Tom Luginbill-er whatever can say whatever he wants. I'm pretty proud of this class. Especially if Coop and Owa join the fray, no disappointment from this fella.

So did we decide 20 year olds can still post on this board? I just signed up and was all pumped to talk Husker talk with all these cool personalities I've been observing for a while now.

Tom Luginbill-er whatever can say whatever he wants. I'm pretty proud of this class. Especially if Coop and Owa join the fray, no disappointment from this fella.

I think us 20 year old kids are fine to post here. :)

Welcome to the Board T-Husker! Don't be shy, jump right in! Just a few rules you should abide by. First of all, make sure you have an opinion on Callahan and Solich and be sure to start numerous threads thumping your position. Second, make sure that you have a definite stance on Recruiting Rankings. Be sure to start threads and post frequently thumping your position. Third, pick a position on Blackouts and be sure to post often thumping your position. Finally, learn to have age stereotypes regarding posters. If you are young, make sure that you call all old posters fuddy duddies. They love that one, trust me. Have fun!

I was a little confused as to why he threw Nebraska into the picture in this article. If you go read the entire article; it was written heavily regarding the SEC, namely Tennessee,Auburn, and Alabama. I have a friend that is an Bama fan and he told me about it. I agree with most of you are saying. This guy obviously doesn't know anything about Bo's recruiting philosophies. I remember when Bo got hired on he said he wasn't going out recruiting stars, he was out to recruit FOOTBALL PLAYERS! So far I have been very impressed with what he has done, coaching kids to play better than they ever imagined they can.

I think us 20 year old kids are fine to post here. :)

This guy is from Scout. Rivals has Heard as the 57th best player in the nation. 7th best running back.

2000 yards and 9.25 YPC as a senior.

Notables rated above Braylon on Rivals 100 RB's.

1) Lattimore So Carolina or Auburn. Auburn has Dyer already

2) Dyer Auburn commit

3) Seatrunk LSU, Auburn, UO

4) Dillon Baxter POY USC (recommitted today)

5) Silas PSU

6) Brennan Clay Oklahoma

7) B Heard Nebraska

Braylon's stats rival any RB in the nation in total yards and YPC (9.25).

Putting a top 5 or top 7 back in NU with our Defense is nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion.

I don't put much stock in Scout at all. Todd McShay does a good job but that is after these guys have 3 to 4 years in college.

Crabtree on 1620 today just said that B Heard is the number 5 running back in the country!!!