How much do you really like Bo?

If you think about this objectively (which I am doubting many of you will), I am curious as to know how much everyone is committed to Bo as our head coach. At the moment, we seem to be much more excited about what we are expecting to become in the future as opposed to what we are now.

That said, my question is will you still be happy with Bo as our head coach if we never improve much beyond this? This is NOT a thread to debate whether or not we are improving (although it seems pretty clear to me that we are), but instead to discuss what would happen if we do not improve.

Say in 7-8 years, we are around 9-4 or 10-3 every year. No appearances in the NC game, and maybe a Big 12 title. Would you still be happy with Bo? Or would you want change?

I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks. I haven't met a person yet who doesn't love Bo as our head coach, and I think that could potentially work against us. We have glorified him so much, that I think it would probably take extreme circumstances to take action. Heck, if we were to go 5-7 next year and the offense looked even worse than this season, that would be pretty identical to Cally's two season span from 06-07. We fired Cally, would we fire Bo? Doubt it, but let the discussion proceed.

• Fire 1

If he ever goes 5-7 the seat would be very very hot and he would have to make some sort of changes in his staff IMO. If 7 years from now we are going 10-3 and have won a Big 12 title in that time people will still be happy. Unless the losses are embarrassing ones then questions might start to arise. Just because he has “Rock Star” status now doesn’t make him immune from getting the boot if he takes steps backwards.

Ooooo a good thread sir... a good thread.....

Here's my take, as long as we maintain a winning season every single year, as well as pose a decent chance at a big 12 title and/or national title run we must keep Bo around. Anything below that in my head is reason to make a change. Even if we go 10-3 with no titles for 10 years in a row, I will still be hopeful of a national/big 12 title the following year.

Can we make an "ORDER RESTORED" emoticon?

damn man going out on a limb here. but i do think you have a good point and or question. from where we were with callahan's last year to where we ended after bo's first year, you can kinda see why people would love bo as much as, well, we do. most people in husker nation wanted or would have entertained the desire to higher bo after solich was let go. for me, i can see that if in say 5-8 years from now we are stuck at a point of going 10-3 year in a year out, maybe people start to question bo's head coaching competency. just as people were doing to osborne when he was about 5-10 years into his head coaching career. only time will tell what will happen IF that would happen. for right now though, IN BO I TRUST!

I like the improvement we've seen under Bo. I like the direction the program is going.

However, even though I wans't a big Callahan fan, I thought NU was headed in the right direction after his third year...and we saw what happened.

I was not happy with the offense this last season. But Bo saw that what was happening on the field wasn't conducive to winning, and he was able to bring the offense together enough to end the season well. Improvement is needed next year.

I won't be happy with Bo if:

1. The offense doesn't improve drastically next year. If they don't, Watson's head on a platter might be enough to placate me.

2. If NU loses games that they are not supposed to lose next year.

3. If NU doesn't win the north next year.

4. NU doesn't go to a BCS bowl in the next two years.

Judging from our past as a fanbase under the T.O. regime, I think we'd stick by Bo per your hypothetical question. Here's why:

NU under Dr. Tom

12-13 bowl record

5-12 against our biggest rival Barry Switzer (Oklahoma)

Never lost more than 3 games per season

7 consecutive bowl game losses ('87-'93)

Took 21 years to win a NC

^^ This says a lot about our fanbase in the past and I feel like we'd do the same for Bo too. But under T.O. it didn't always go without criticism. At the end of each season we always found it within ourselves to say "we'll get 'em next year" until we finally got one, 21 years in the making. Therefore I think Bo would be given the same chances that we gave T.O.

We bought into what T.O. was selling us in the same way that we're buying what Bo is selling us today. It goes beyond sheer win-loss numbers. It's about preserving the culture that is Nebraska football. Bo gets it. As fans, we know he gets it, so there's going to be some leeway in those years when things don't pan out as expected.

Here's my take, as long as we maintain a winning season every single year, as well as pose a decent chance at a big 12 title and/or national title run we must keep Bo around. Anything below that in my head is reason to make a change. Even if we go 10-3 with no titles for 10 years in a row, I will still be hopeful of a national/big 12 title the following year.

My thoughts echo yours very closely.

I like consistent winning, of course, but I also like to see coaches to be able to adapt, adjust, and fix problems during the game and season. I hate stubbornness and/or blind loyalty. Our offensive issues didn't go away this year, but I think the coaches made appropriate adjustments that gave us a shot to win. We'll see how Bo does with the offense next year!

I'm not expecting us to go undefeated every year under Bo ( but that would be ok... :koolaid2: ), but as long as we have a decent shot at titles, BO BIG RED.

I wouldn't trade Bo for any coach in the country. He is the epitome of physicality. Hard nosed, rough around the edges - only cares about one thing, football. I know that when our team steps out on the field the other team is in for a beating whether we win or lose - and I love it. He will never go 5-7 and we will play in some big games.

Judging from our past as a fanbase under the T.O. regime, I think we'd stick by Bo per your hypothetical question. Here's why:

NU under Dr. Tom

12-13 bowl record

5-12 against our biggest rival Barry Switzer (Oklahoma)

Never lost more than 3 games per season

7 consecutive bowl game losses ('87-'93)

Took 21 years to win a NC

^^ This says a lot about our fanbase in the past and I feel like we'd do the same for Bo too. But under T.O. it didn't always go without criticism. At the end of each season we always found it within ourselves to say "we'll get 'em next year" until we finally got one, 21 years in the making. Therefore I think Bo would be given the same chances that we gave T.O.

We bought into what T.O. was selling us in the same way that we're buying what Bo is selling us today. It goes beyond sheer win-loss numbers. It's about preserving the culture that is Nebraska football. Bo gets it. As fans, we know he gets it, so there's going to be some leeway in those years when things don't pan out as expected.

:yeah Plus, I think it makes a huge difference that it was the great Dr Tom that hired Bo as the HC in the 1st place. If Osborne believes Bo will continue to lead this program in the right direction and hold fast to the Nebraska tradition, I think that goes a long way in the minds & hearts of those who bleed Husker red. We've long been regarded as one of the most loyal fanbases, and I think that loyalty stems from our tradition of hard work and respect, both of which are qualities Bo clearly holds in high regard.

• Fire 1