Need to finish well

The possibility of Bo ever leaving NU has been brought up several times on the board. Reasons have been tossed around as to why he might leave or why he would stay. These have included, how he likes Lincoln, whether the vest leaves OSU or how he won't chase money. One thing that I haven't come across in these threads is how much harder it is to recruit players to Lincoln. How many CCG nights will Bo and Carl spend yelling back at the field, as they exit the tunnel, before they decide that doing what they are already doing here plus the shooting fish in a barrel, that is Texas, Florida or USC recruiting, would bring championships elsewhere? If Carnes says "too far away" and Owa picks UCLA or UO, and Bo continually has to take knives,regardless of how sharp he can hone them, to gunfights, will he ever get tired of it and leave? Even someone up for challenges would eventually get tired of :bang and Bo is not the sleazy salesman type to just ramp up the lies and deceit to get guys here.

I think we could use a good finish to keep Bo and company from reaching a possible breaking point.

Notre Dame isnt exactly a hot bed for recruits either and they seem to be able to sign a top ten class every year. I refuse to buy the fact that "NU cant bring in talent." We will get players that we want. We dont have a problem pulling some of the kids out of the Dallas Metroplex that Bo and company seem to covet. I would venture to say that if we had been on Carnes the whole year he might already be N.

I refuse to buy the pitch that "we will NEVER bring in the talent that winning championships takes," argument.

Notre Dame isnt exactly a hot bed for recruits either and they seem to be able to sign a top ten class every year. I refuse to buy the fact that "NU cant bring in talent." We will get players that we want. We dont have a problem pulling some of the kids out of the Dallas Metroplex that Bo and company seem to covet. I would venture to say that if we had been on Carnes the whole year he might already be N.

I refuse to buy the pitch that "we will NEVER bring in the talent that winning championships takes," argument.

notre dame has a heck of a lot more population within reasonable driving distance than we do. they also have a TV contract.

i agree though that we can certainly bring in the right talent for championships if we have the right coaches. i'm pretty sure we've got some of those coaches at the moment.

We'll never get as good of recruiting as UF, UT, USC, etc... but that doesn't mean we can't win championships. Look at how we've played Texas the last 3 times.. hell look at how we've played them every time. Almost all our games are close and very competitive despite the recruiting "disparity." Texas gets more stars and it is very important to have good talent, but a 4 star isn't necessarily better than a 3 star. Bo has us playing competitively in every single game this year and that's not luck. That's the talent we have plus his very good coaching. Keep in mind we still have better talent than probably 90% of schools. We have the talent to win championships, and we're only going to bring more in. We're in his SECOND year and already almost taking out the top teams in the country. Look at our victory over OU. I don't care what their record was, they are stocked with talent and would thrash the majority of teams and without any offense we beat them. We can and will hang with the big dogs. Give Bo more success and more time and I have no doubt we'll be elite again. I haven't had a shred of doubt since the Big 12 Championship.

I hate to think that any coach, let alone Bo, would base the direction of his career on one recruiting class. Sure, a strong finish in the next couple weeks would be great. But, winning is even better, and I think Bo knows he has a winning system & a winning culture in place here at Nebraska. Also, Bo seems like the type of guy who's been waiting for a chance to build his own dynasty, and this is the perfect scenario for that.

• Fire 1

I didn't say that we wouldn't be able to win championships, although it is possible to win fewer than if we had an easier road recruiting. Yes Bo is a great coach who was able to coach around the weak offense and keep us in games with the big boys. I imagine it took more work and longer hours studying film, devising schemes and motivating everybody's ass off to get it done also. Why work harder to accomplish the same thing you can accomplish somewhere else? Sure you enjoy outsmarting people for a while, but you start to burn out and figure why not make it easier on myself. I'm pretty sure Bo is not enjoying running around trying to get these kids signed. People offer Muschamp jobs yet he will wait until Mack hands him the keys to the team that has a top 5 or better recruiting class lined up before the season even starts. We bitched and moaned about receivers not being able to catch passes all last year, now our best recruit is a diamond in the rough - unranked when he committed, I believe, - that we have to hope pans out. We never have had any luck bringing top qb's or wr's to NU. I know it is dog eat dog recruiting for almost any school, but you have to go 100% all day every day to have a chance of bringing a fringe top 25 recruiting class to NU. It is my guess that if Bo ever does leave it won't be about the money or going home, it will be about starting with a level playing field (a bigger paycheck will probably come with it).

And Espy, I didn't mean to insinuate that we need to finish with some of these bigger targets this year or else. It would just put the pressure on for making next year's class stronger to make up for this year's misses. :espnsucks:

Now let's get Carnes, Owa and Cooper! :bs:

An interesting angle. I think that makes the return to LSU for Bo mentioned in a speculative article in the Big 12 blog makes more sense.

Just like some of the guys wouldn't leave southern schools for Notre Dame (the alleged dream job), would it be a place like LSU and the recruiting hot beds near by which eventually draws him? We may find out soon as Michigan may change course and this time Les Miles will follow through.

An interesting angle. I think that makes the return to LSU for Bo mentioned in a speculative article in the Big 12 blog makes more sense.

Bo's wife HATED the area. They love it in Lincoln. The ONLY job we have to worry about him taking is the Ohio State job.

I'm not into the stars and the rankings as some are. I believe Bo isn't interested in that either. He has his own system for recruiting. Now with that said, people here have short memories. Bill Callahan proved you can bring in so-called top rated classes. His second class was top five; his last class would have been top five if the wheels during that season hadn't come off and he hadn't gotten fired. Remember? If Callahan was successful on the field, we probably be right up there each season with OU and UT ranking-wise. But the question is: would Callahan had brought in better football players than Bo. Hopefully, the answer is no.