Spongers get pumped over Bo Pelini visit

When he stopped off at Countryside earlier this week, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini checked on junior OL Tyler Moore, a Cornhuskers commit.

While there, Cougars coach John Davis had a suggestion.

Go to Tarpon Springs and get a look at Spongers DT Brodrick Lee, he said.

So that’s precisely what Pelini did

The ‘Huskers coach spent about a half-hour at the school Wednesday while the Spongers worked out.

At Tarpon Springs, Pelini got the 411 on the 6-foot-2, 285-pound Lee, and learned a little bit about three other Sponger juniors -- RB Darius Daniels, OL Zach DeBell and PK Michael Hill.

“He got film on all of them, and saw potentially that all four could play at that level,” Tarpon Springs coach George Kotis said.

Lee has yet to receive an offer, but given his size and ability (he was first-team all-county) he has the potential to be a major college signee next year. After watching Lee play last fall in person, Rivals.com analyst Jamie Newberg came away impressed.

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound DeBell already has offers from Minnesota and Central Florida. Minnesota dropped by today, in fact.

“(Pelini) is very impressed with DeBell,” Kotis said. “He’s got an impressive body, and veteran coaches can see he has the potential to get a lot bigger. He’s still filling out.

Hill, who has great range, has a chance to be the region’s best PK in 2010.

“(Nebraska) needs a kicker after next year,” Kotis said.

Most of the Spongers had no idea who Pelini was. But apparently Lee did.

“Brodrick’s dad is a Nebraska lover,” Kotis said. “He called me right away after he found out.”

LINK

Heh. Spongers.

What the heck is a Sponger anyway?

I'd assume someone who collects sponges from the sea. Just a guess.

I was going to guess that it's the nurse that gives sponge baths at the hospital but I think yours is better.

Your's might be better depending on what this hypothetical nurse looks like. chuckleshuffle

I made a visit to the hospital yesterday and there were a few that I wouldn't mind sponging. :thumbs

Back on topic though:

Good to see that high schools are getting excited to see coaches from Nebraska coming to visit. Especially in the talent rich state of Florida.

Heh. Spongers.

I was going to guess that it's the nurse that gives sponge baths at the hospital but I think yours is better.

Your's might be better depending on what this hypothetical nurse looks like. chuckleshuffle

I made a visit to the hospital yesterday and there were a few that I wouldn't mind sponging. :thumbs

Back on topic though:

Good to see that high schools are getting excited to see coaches from Nebraska coming to visit. Especially in the talent rich state of Florida.

You all mmissed the quote about how MOST OF THE SPONGERS DIDN'T KNOW WHO THE EF BO PELINI IS!!!! really? did i hear/read that correctly???

Heh. Spongers.

Back on topic though:

You all mmissed the quote about how MOST OF THE SPONGERS DIDN'T KNOW WHO THE EF BO PELINI IS!!!! really? did i hear/read that correctly???

I'm thinking/hoping it means they didn't know who he was when they saw him.

Heh. Spongers.

Back on topic though:

The good thing is the players that he went to see knew who he was (since his dad is a big Nebraska fan)which is always a good thing with a potential recruit.

Heh. Spongers.

Back on topic though:

I'd guess that fewer than 50% of high school football players make an effort to see college games on tv. :clap

kinda bummed out about the part where the team didn't know who Pelini was... but thats okay

anyways as sponger is someone in my little world who rides a boogie board.... a sign of shame and a very serious insult in the world of ocean sports as spongers are thought to be inferior to stand up surfers....

i hate spongers but the guys on this team sound okay to me