offensive line

LJS:Nebraska line must protect Taylor

From LJS:

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

It's hard to say exactly when quarterback Zac Taylor won 100 percent approval of his Nebraska coaches.

Perhaps it happened during an April scrimmage, when Taylor, recovering from an upper respiratory virus, performed admirably. It wasn't so much his 17 of 30 passing for 223 yards, but rather what Taylor did after getting sacked four times.

He popped right back up, regrouped, found the huddle and called the next play.

"This," Bill Callahan said after the scrimmage, "is after his head has been splattered on the floor."

Yes, that's encouraging to Nebraska coaches, knowing they've got a heady quarterback who can endure a little heat. Of course, in an ideal world, Callahan wouldn't have to worry about his starting quarterback's head bouncing off the turf several times a game.

Cue the speech about improving the offensive line.

"We've got to improve," senior guard Brandon Koch said about the line's pass protection. "There's too many mental errors right now. That's something we've got to work on and keep hammering out. Overall, we're doing a pretty decent job, but we've definitely got plenty to work on."

In year one of Callahan's pass-oriented West Coast offense, the Nebraska offensive line surrendered a modest 16 sacks. That tied for third-fewest allowed in the Big 12 Conference, although NU's 322 passing attempts were also the fourth-fewest in the league.

Nebraska also had a mobile quarterback in Joe Dailey, whose athleticism arguably saved a few sacks. Taylor, a pure pocket passer, has considerably less mobility.

Does that put added pressure on the offensive linemen?

"A little bit more, yeah, a little bit more," senior left tackle Seppo Evwaraye said. "On those seven-step drops and five-step drops, I've got to make sure I hold the pass protection a little bit longer.

"Zac might not be as capable of escaping the pocket as Joe was, but that's not to take anything away from Zac. He's a calm, poised quarterback, and when he's in trouble, he'll know how to get away from it. I think in that sense, he's got good feet."

Evwaraye played right tackle last season, a spot now occupied by Cornealius Fuamatu-Thomas. Now on the left side, Evwaraye plays arguably the most crucial position on the line, considering he's protecting the right-handed Taylor's blind side.

"Left is definitely a lot harder in pass protection than the right was," Evwaraye said. "Just getting the footwork down … it's really tough. You almost have to be left-handed to play left tackle."

Offensive coordinator Jay Norvell commended Nebraska's tackles, saying they're smart and athletic with an ability to pass protect.

But in general, Norvell said pass protection isn't any more of a concern just because Taylor is less mobile.

"Protection is very important, but protection is everyone's responsibility," Norvell said. "The receivers have to get open, the quarterback has to get the ball gone, the backs have to protect as well. It really falls on everybody's shoulders.

"It's more of a communication with our entire unit. Zac sets the tone for that. (Center) Kurt Mann sets the tone for that, and everyone follows suit. When we're all on the same page, we're pretty good, and we compete hard."

Norvell couldn't definitively say Dailey's mobility prevented some sacks last season. Part of not getting sacked, he said, is getting rid of the football, throwing on time and using the proper footwork as a quarterback. Those are problems that plagued Dailey, who threw 19 interceptions and completed just 49 percent of his passes.

Koch said the offensive line's job isn't any more or less important with a less-mobile quarterback.

"For us, it's kind of always the same. Our job, we don't want the quarterbacks to have to flush," Koch said. "The coaches always talk about protecting our guy. You don't ever want him to get touched, because you never know. One hit, that could be it. We don't even want him to get touched."

Said Fuamatu-Thomas: "I'm trying to improve my game just to give (Taylor) time to shine. That's my goal. I'm just trying to work on my game so Zac Taylor will have time to make plays."

Offensive line coach Dennis Wagner said the line is headed in the right direction overall, but added this final week of two-a-days is crucial.

"Our team's got to make a huge improvement this week," Wagner said. "We're getting better, we're understanding the offense. But again, we're always looking to be perfect in that unit. We can't afford to make mistakes with (protecting) our quarterback's and running back's lives."

Wagner said tackles Evwaraye and Fuamatu-Thomas, guards Koch and Greg Austin and Mann at center are running with the top unit. Jared Helming, Andy Christensen and Mike Huff are also seeing extensive snaps at guard, while Chris Patrick, Matt Slauson and Brock Pasteur are playing both tackle positions. Austin is the backup center, while Gary Pike and Brett Byford are also battling for time at center.

"Compared to last year at this time, I think we're quite a bit ahead," Evwaraye said. "Right now, it's just about small, mental mistakes … making the wrong calls on different situations.

"Our blitz pick-up is better. It's something that we're practicing every day. I'm really confident. Our coach keeps telling us that Maine and Wake Forest and Pitt, they're all blitz-heavy teams. I think we'll be well-prepared."

somebody pointed out on another message board that since our new WR coach is teaching our WR new tricks and techniques that the exposure in practice to these tricks and techniques will help their preperation. good stuff and a good reminder, made me feel more confident in our secondary. still a lot of young blood though.