Recruiting: A New Kind of Paparazzi

Thanks for posting. That was a good read. It's a sad how people feel the need to pry into celebrities' lives, but it seems even worse when they're doing it to a high school kid.

While I do agree with you, some of the times the kids try to get as much attention as possible. Thats why I really appreciate how Owa and Cooper did their recruiting process.

This is America. Land of the free, home of the entertainment super-star.

Plain & simple - football is entertainment. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most profitable forms of entertainment, and those who play are the super-stars. That includes highly touted high school football players. Whether or not their ultimate goal is to be in the spotlight, these youngsters are taking part in the most popular & profitable sport in the country. If that doesn't open the door to paparazzi, I don't know what does.

Plain & simple - football is entertainment. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most profitable forms of entertainment, and those who play are the super-stars. That includes highly touted high school football players. Whether or not their ultimate goal is to be in the spotlight, these youngsters are taking part in the most popular & profitable sport in the country. If that doesn't open the door to paparazzi, I don't know what does.

I can't agree with this. Just because they are talented and want to play football doesn't mean these kids should be openly harassed by the media and overzealous fans. Where would we draw the line? Facebook friending talented junior high players? I know it's a bit hypocritical because I do follow recruiting (mostly just on huskerboard) but I think the whole scene is more than a little unpleasant and creepy.

Some kids welcome the attention . . . but the kids who don't still can't escape it. I don't think that is "ok."

I can't agree with this. Just because they are talented and want to play football doesn't mean these kids should be openly harassed by the media and overzealous fans. Where would we draw the line? Facebook friending talented junior high players? I know it's a bit hypocritical because I do follow recruiting (mostly just on huskerboard) but I think the whole scene is more than a little unpleasant and creepy.

Some kids welcome the attention . . . but the kids who don't still can't escape it. I don't think that is "ok."

Its not really about agreeing with it, but understanding that it exists. Those trying to sell will almost always market as far as the lowest common denominator. Fixing this would require some type of law change.

Its not really about agreeing with it, but understanding that it exists. Those trying to sell will almost always market as far as the lowest common denominator. Fixing this would require some type of law change.

Thanks hskrpwr13. That's exactly what I was getting at. I don't think any of this is OK, on any level. When it comes to anyone's privacy, I think people are entitled to be free of paparazzi & media continually peeking into their lives. But, that's just not the way the world works, especially in the US where materialism & money run rampant. Btw, money is what this whole mess is about. Nothing more, nothing less.