ESPN doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!

kramer

I just wonder if a team Like Miami, OU, or another former powerhouse team had a coach that was fired and was only able to land a job at a school like Ohio U, would the fans or the media think that coach was a good hire in the first place at that powerhouse school? ;)

No offense to Frank, but Dr. Tom Osborne couldn't get many AD's to take his calls or even return his calls when trying to put in a good word for Frank..

This tells me all I need to know.

No offense to TO, but when the fans all but ran him out of town back in 78' Colorado was the only "powerhouse" willing to take a look at him. I wouldn't exactly call CU a powerhouse either in 78'.

When Saban was at Michigan State, I don't think he reached "stud" status as head coach. That came later at LSU.

Remember Schnellenburger (sp) who led those pesky Hurricanes to victory over TO in 83'? He was hired by powerhouse OU, and he was a big disappointment.

Like everything else in life, sometimes it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There have been very few coaches who have landed a lot of jobs and in turn made them all winners. It takes a special coach someone like a Larry Brown to do that. For others, it seems the stars kind of align for them and they have great success for a while but then have trouble rekindling that light at their next job.

I'm really not sure why we continue to beat this dead horse. Frank is gone. Was he the right man for the job? Who knows, we didn't give him the 20+ years we gave TO. Will he lead Ohio to a top 25 ranking? Who knows.

I don't know if Ohio is the right fit for him. He is going to run the ball and try the whole ball control offense just like he did at Nebraska. But he is going to learn real fast that to win in the MAC conference, he is going to have to put up points and a lot of them to win games. I just don't see his philosophy of coaching working very well in a conference known for teams that put up the points by the bunches.

I just wonder if a team Like Miami, OU, or another former powerhouse team had a coach that was fired and was only able to land a job at a school like Ohio U, would the fans or the media think that coach was a good hire in the first place at that powerhouse school? ;)

No offense to Frank, but Dr. Tom Osborne couldn't get many AD's to take his calls or even return his calls when trying to put in a good word for Frank..

To be fair, the fact that Solich is 60 significantly hurt his chances at a lot of schools, though.

No offense to TO, but when the fans all but ran him out of town back in 78' Colorado was the only "powerhouse" willing to take a look at him. I wouldn't exactly call CU a powerhouse either in 78'.

When Saban was at Michigan State, I don't think he reached "stud" status as head coach. That came later at LSU.

Remember Schnellenburger (sp) who led those pesky Hurricanes to victory over TO in 83'? He was hired by powerhouse OU, and he was a big disappointment.

Like everything else in life, sometimes it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There have been very few coaches who have landed a lot of jobs and in turn made them all winners. It takes a special coach someone like a Larry Brown to do that. For others, it seems the stars kind of align for them and they have great success for a while but then have trouble rekindling that light at their next job.

I'm really not sure why we continue to beat this dead horse. Frank is gone. Was he the right man for the job? Who knows, we didn't give him the 20+ years we gave TO. Will he lead Ohio to a top 25 ranking? Who knows.

I couldnt agree with you more :thumbs

To be fair, the fact that Solich is 60 significantly hurt his chances at a lot of schools, though.

Good catch JR. Alot of teams wont hire coaches who are getting up there in age. Even Schnellenberger was thought of as a temporary solution to OUs problem when he was hired. ;)

ask how many head coaching jobs john blake got after he got canned at okie.

I would like to think age doesn't have anything to do with hiring coaches, the bottom line is you're a good coach or you're not, it should be as simple as that.

It does though. What good is a great coach if you're only going to have him for 2 or 3 years?

better than having cosgrove for 10 years.

I dunno if he was full-fledged stud, but he had taken that team to a 10-2 season in his final year and a victory over Florida in the Citrus Bowl.

Remember Schnellenburger (sp) who led those pesky Hurricanes to victory over TO in 83'?  He was hired by powerhouse OU, and he was a big disappointment.

OU was far from a powerhouse when Schnellenberger was hired.

I'm really not sure why we continue to beat this dead horse.  Frank is gone.  Was he the right man for the job?  Who knows, we didn't give him the 20+ years we gave TO.  Will he lead Ohio to a top 25 ranking?  Who knows.

I agree with you here. Frank's gone. Maybe never should have been coach in the first place. T.O. was given a lot more leeway than Solich, because this is a different era in football and society. Solich maybe needed a kick and the ass and he will succeed at Ohio, but who knows. If he is successful, lot of people will eat crow, myself included. I just don't see him building a powerhouse there though, but who knows.

Yeah, I bet Wisconsin fans hate those 3 Rose Bowl titles and those two defenses that were in the top two in the nation. Your idol Pelini has never even come close to that kind of success.:thumbs

Why did Zook and Willingham get jobs a couple weeks after they were fired and it took Frankie a year? The first two got schools in Major Conferences that have some sort of history and Frankie had to settle for Ohio. Why is this? Are Zook and Willingham that much better then Frankie? Are these two that much younger then Frankie? What does this mean? I don't know, but it is just something to think about.

When Saban was at Michigan State, I don't think he reached "stud" status as head coach.  That came later at LSU. 

I dunno if he was full-fledged stud, but he had taken that team to a 10-2 season in his final year and a victory over Florida in the Citrus Bowl.

Remember Schnellenburger (sp) who led those pesky Hurricanes to victory over TO in 83'?  He was hired by powerhouse OU, and he was a big disappointment.

OU was far from a powerhouse when Schnellenberger was hired.

I'm really not sure why we continue to beat this dead horse.  Frank is gone.  Was he the right man for the job?  Who knows, we didn't give him the 20+ years we gave TO.  Will he lead Ohio to a top 25 ranking?  Who knows.

I agree with you here. Frank's gone. Maybe never should have been coach in the first place. T.O. was given a lot more leeway than Solich, because this is a different era in football and society. Solich maybe needed a kick and the ass and he will succeed at Ohio, but who knows. If he is successful, lot of people will eat crow, myself included. I just don't see him building a powerhouse there though, but who knows.

Yeah, I bet Wisconsin fans hate those 3 Rose Bowl titles and those two defenses that were in the top two in the nation. Your idol Pelini has never even come close to that kind of success.:thumbs

If you would rather have cosgrove then pelini, that is funny as heck. And I would rather have callahan then tom osborne..... :wtf