How 2010 resembles 1994

When making predictions about the future, it's often helpful to look to the past for guidance. When circumstances were similar, how did things play out? Interestingly, when looking for a season in which Nebraska returned an all-conference defensive tackle and an all-conference cornerback, you have to go back to the 1994 season. And that's hardly the only parallel between the 2010 Cornhuskers and the 1994 squad.

Terry Connealy was an All-Big Eight defensive tackle in 1993, playing alongside a star pass-rusher in Trev Alberts. Connealy wasn't a household name (even in Nebraska) though. Rather, there was some thought about how much the defense might suffer without Alberts. Not a far cry from the relationship between Jared Crick and Ndamukong Suh, though arguably Crick has been more acclaimed than Connealy. In the secondary, Barron Miles was beginning to make a name for himself as an All-Big Eight cornerback in 1993. Ditto that for Prince Amukamara this past season. The only other returning All-Big Eight player from the 1993 team was offensive tackle Zach Wiegert. Having a player like Wiegert returning certainly would be an asset for the 2010 squad. Then again, NU fans might have traded Wiegert in 1993 to get a kicker like Alex Henery to make the fateful field goal to win the naitonal championship that Byron Bennett missed.

The memories of that near miss are another thing that the 2010 team has in common with the 1994 version. Nebraska was in position to win the national championship when they took the lead with just over a minute remaining. But then Florida State drove the length of the field (assisted by a penalty) to kick a field goal with 21 seconds remaining to win the Orange Bowl. That disappointment fueled an offseason where the team worked themselves into national championship form. With a minute and change remaining against Texas in the Big 12 championship game, Nebraska took the lead only to see Texas drive down the field (assisted by penalties) to kick a game winning field goal. Will the disappointment from that contest again fuel a championship run for the Big Red?

By season's end, the 1994 season had seen a number of other playmakers emerge on the roster. Ed Stewart, Brendan Stai, Lawrence Phillips, Troy Dumas, Aaron Graham, Donta Jones, and Tyrone Williams were all honored as All-Big Eight players in addition to the returning standouts. Only Ed Stewart had received even second team All-Big Eight honors in 1993. So the key for the national championship team wasn't just riding the returning stars but developing a whole crop of new ones. Roy Helu could be poised to rise to the All-Big 12 level. The same could be said for Mike McNeil and Niles Paul. But NU may go even deeper to players that hadn't yet fully reached their potential in Dejon Gomes, Eric Hagg, Ricky Henry, and Keith Williams.

That's not saying Nebraska will make up 10 of the 22 first team all-conference roster spots, but then making all-conference in a 12-team league is a bigger task than doing it in an 8-team league. The point is that even with the departed Suh, Phillip Dillard, and Larry Asante, Nebraska still has the raw material to do something special provided the offseason work gets done and things break right for the team. What more can you ask for in year three of the Bo Pelini era?

LINK

And in both years we return an upperclassman quarterback from Bradenton, FL wearing the #15.

How about that! It's fate.

I think to be honest, we have too many questions and too significant of a loss (we're talking about a guy we talked up to be the greatest in a decade at his position) to be able to expect something like that.

This is a very entertaining parallel to look at. We've got some player ready to go off. (Rex, Ankrah, Meredith, BK, and Niles) It'll be interesting to see if the offense can make as big of a jump next year as the defense did this year. I don't think it will be as significant, but it should be considerably better.

I sure hope so but Lee becoming 10% as good as Frazier? I seriously doubt it. Green, Spano or Martinez have a long, long shot at that but.....and a pancaking OLine in 2010? That would be great but....Many here think SW is a great OC. I desperately hope they're right.

Otoh, the defense could exceed the excellent 94 blackshirts. Bo/Carl are really that good.

If you're strictly looking at defense, then maybe. However, I don't think it will be the defense that will make or break it for us in 2010. In 1994, we returned a two year starter at QB who was the MVP to the prior year's bowl game. We returned a stud OL. We played for a NC in 1993, but not in 2009. We played for a Big 12 Championship in 2009. I'm hopeful that 2010 in like 1994 with regards to the Big 12 Championship game. I just don't think we're quite ready for the NC yet.

If you're strictly looking at defense, then maybe. However, I don't think it will be the defense that will make or break it for us in 2010. In 1994, we returned a two year starter at QB who was the MVP to the prior year's bowl game. We returned a stud OL. We played for a NC in 1993, but not in 2009. We played for a Big 12 Championship in 2009. I'm hopeful that 2010 in like 1994 with regards to the Big 12 Championship game. I just don't think we're quite ready for the NC yet.

I don't think we're quite ready for the NC yet either, but I would love to be proven wrong. However, if you would have told me before the '94 season that we would win the NC despite losing Tommie for most of the year, and that we would have Matt Turman start on the road against K-State, I would not have believed that either.

• Fire 1

NU fans might have traded Wiegert in 1993 to get a kicker like Alex Henery to make the fateful field goal to win the naitonal championship that Byron Bennett missed.Traded

Wiegert for a kicker really? :facepalm:

:yeah Zack never, thats NEVER, gave up a sack. I love Alex Henery but this is not a good trade.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez

I don't see the 1993-94 and 2009-10 comparison. Especially on offense. There is just too much improvement needed on the O-line and playmakers to be developed or found at the skill positions. The 1993 O-line was very good. Frazier and Phillips had the makings of at least becomming all-conference performers.

I'm glad to see the defense is now fixed.

For puposes of comparison, I always thought the 1981-82 was similar to 1993-94. The overall talent level was improved over the proceeding years and the parts seemed to be falling in place for conference and perhaps national titles. On offense, the O-Line was solid with some standouts (Rimington/Steinkuhler/Theiss) and (Shields/Stai/Wiegert). A talented, young QB had emerged in Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier. And a proven IB to carry the pigskin with Rozier and Phillips. It's important to remember that the 1982-83 teams came very close to accomplishing what the 1994-95 teams did. The 1981 and 1993 teams were the foundation of that success and both teams nearly won a MNC in the Orange Bowl only to be denied in the 4th quarter.

Now that I think about it. The 2010 Huskers have so much improvement to make on offense before even being in a discussion with the 1994 (and 1982) teams. Hopefully, I'm wrong and Cody Green is the next Turner Gill or Tommie Frazier and Roy Helu or Rex Burkhead can be productive IBs in the mold of Rozier or LP. But that's quite a leap.