DT Gerrand Johnson *

Nexus

Apparently this kid is high on Nebraska and Arkansas. Also seems like a high character kid with a good work ethic. I've read through various LSU message boards that say the kid is an animal on the field. Would love to see some highlight footage, but none exists at the moment.

Arkansas recently offered scholarships to two prospects from Rayville, La.: Defensive lineman Gerrand Johnson and tight end/ defensive end Quentin Griffin.

Johnson, 6-1, 270, 5.0 seconds in the 40-yard dash, also has an offer from Nebraska and is getting strong interest from Alabama, while Griffin, 6-3, 230, 4.5 also has an offer from Alabama.

Johnson, who reports a 330-pound bench press, 490 squat and a pro-shuttle time a 4.34, hasn’t always been high on football.

“I really didn’t start liking football until the 8th grade,” Johnson said. “Arkansas was one of the first schools I followed. I remember watching Felix Jones and Darren McFadden. Those were my two favorite players. Arkansas and Nebraska were my first two loves in football.”

He recorded 91 tackles, 7 sacks, 6 forced fumbles and 3 recovered fumbles with one returned 15 yards for a score.

“I pride myself about being around the ball.” Johnson said.

Johnson along with Griffin plan to accompany Coach Bo Barton to Arkansas’ junior day on April 17.

“I’m working 24/7,” Johnson said. “This past summer we had 28 designated workout days and I did 44 of them. I’m consistently working hard to get to the ball.”

While Johnson is fond of several modern day defensive linemen, he also has old school taste when it comes to the NFL.

“Deacon Jones and Bob Lilly are the best two defensive linemen ever to grace the football field,” Johnson said. “Ever chance I get I look at video on them. Deacon Jones does a little too much of illegal stuff, the head slap. Bob Lilly keeps his arms steady and doesn’t let a lot of offensive linemen get to his body. He demands a lot of respect from everyone.“

Looking to be the very best he can be, Johnson desires a hard-nosed approach at the next level.

“I’m looking for stability and the mindset of the coach,” Johnson said. “I want to go somewhere they’re going to get any ounce out of me. When I don’t feel I can give any more, they’ll ring me up more and leave nothing for tomorrow.”

Johnson wants to see how a school’s former players are doing after college.

“I want to see how successful the players are that don’t make it to the NFL,” Johnson said. “I want to see how successful they are after their careers.”

Johnson, who wants to be a forest ranger after college, said he stays in contact with recruiting coordinator Tim Horton and gets e-mail updates from on-campus recruiting coordinator Dann Kabala. He said he wants to be certain before pledging to a school.

“My mother and I will pray about it,” Johnson said. “Whenever I’m 100% sure, I’ll know which school is for me I’ll commit because I don’t want commit and then change my mind because that’s not fair to the college and it’s not fair to everyone else. I’m going to wait and make sure.”

LINK

At this moment his top 3 are Alabama, Arkansas, and Nebraska.

He says why he likes Nebraska is because of Bo Pelini and everybody that Bo has coached has the ability to go far moving in the next level....the NFL

Thanks for the update. :thumbs

He says why he likes Nebraska is because of Bo Pelini and everybody that Bo has coached has the ability to go far moving in the next level....the NFL

My updates don't even come close to your updates.....you do a way better job in my opinion.

My updates don't even come close to your updates.....you do a way better job in my opinion.

It ain't even like that with me. It's all about the collective effort, regardless how big or small the contribution. This is what I appreciate about HuskerBoard and its people.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
GERRAND JOHNSON, DT, 6-3, 275, 4.8, RAYVILLE, LOUISIANA

Gerrand has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Nebraska, Louisiana Tech and Memphis

Three Way Race

“My top favorites are like 1A, 1B, 1C.” Johnson said. “Alabama, Nebraska and Arkansas they are all equal.”

“I like Coach Sabin (Alabama) he’s a great coach. We have a player down there now Kenny Bell. He showed me everything-the campus. I love Alabama you can’t go wrong there.” Johnson said

“When I went down to Alabama the first time Coach Sabin talked to me and said he wanted me to play for him. Sabin said he would offer me in the fall, but he offered me earlier than that.” Johnson said

“Arkansas and Nebraska were my first two love,” Johnson said. “I just started participating in football my 8th grade and Arkansas and Nebraska were my first two favorites, I just followed them since then.”

Johnson Admires Hogs RB’s

“Arkansas has tradition. I haven’t been fortunate to go to one of their games but everyone who lives in Arkansas loves the Razorbacks. Darren Mc Fadden and Felix Jones were my top favorite college running backs of all time.” Johnson said

“When I was in 8th grade I was amazed how physical they (Arkansas) were. Coach Petrino is a NFL caliber of coach and that’s another place you can’t go wrong going too.” Johnson said

The Bo Pelini Call

“Coach Bo Pelini called me at the school when I was working out and offered me a scholarship. Bo said he watched my films and thought I was a good football player and would fit their schemes. My mom was the first one I called when I got off the phone with Bo.” Johnson said

“I was shocked when Bo called,” Johnson said. “I was just watching him on TV talking about Ndamukong Suh. Just having him (Bo) call me and Coach Carl (Pelini), oh man I was ecstatic.”

High On NU Defense

“Nebraska is the Blackshirts (first team defense). That’s definitely history and tradition there I can’t say enough about them. Their (Nebraska) defense speaks for themselves. I want to be part of a dominance defensive unit. Coach Bo Pelini is one of the best defensive coordinators in the United States. I just love Nebraska as much as I do Alabama and Arkansas.” Johnson said

“Bo is a good coach he has to be one of the top three defensive coordinators in the Country. When I talked to him on the phone he liked me, he was enthusiastic, that made me feel good about myself.” Johnson aid

“I know about the Blackshirt tradition. I think he (Carl) Pelini was surprised when I said something about them. When I talked to Carl he said I would fit in the defensive scheme and I said yes I would love to be part of the Blackshirts, Carl said absolutely.”

Suh At The Top

“Carl did a great job with Suh that’s the best defensive tackle in college football. If I go there (Nebraska) I want to be mentioned with him or above him. I’m going to work hard to get it.” Johnson said

“I’m going to Nebraska June 10 and 11 for their camp. I’m definitely excited I’m counting down the day’s now hoping for the summer to get here.” Johnson said

Tide And Razorbacks To Get Their Chance Too

“I actually like to commit this summer have my mind made up. If I don’t feel right I’m not going to commit. I don’t want to commit and change my mind; it wouldn’t be fair to the school. I want to make it to Arkansas and Alabama camps too before I commit. Once I go to the last camp and get a feel of the three schools, I’ll definitely make my decision then.” Johnson said

“One thing I’m looking for is the strength coach. I want somebody who is going to get every ounce out of me to be the best I can so I don’t give up, somebody who will push me. Then play for a defensive dominate team that wins games.” Johnson said

“I want to go somewhere physical and after the game saying ‘dang` who ever we were playing. Number two is academics come before anything. I have a 3.2 GPA.” Johnson added

“It doesn’t matter where I go. I talked to my mother and she said go where your heart follows you.” Johnson said.

LINK

“One thing I’m looking for is the strength coach. I want somebody who is going to get every ounce out of me to be the best I can so I don’t give up, somebody who will push me. Then play for a defensive dominate team that wins games.” Johnson said

I think we have the upper hand in what he wants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...