***European Soccer Thread***

Manchester City Handle Liverpool With Ease 3-0

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=106322802#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

Torres looked rusty and slow. He had a couple of opportunities but couldn't turn on the ball fast enough. Mascherano not only did not play, he wasn't on the bench. It looks like he is on his way out, possibly to Barcelona.

This was the biggest loss Liverpool has ever experienced at the hands of Manchester City since 1937.

Liverpool Reject Barcelona's Bid For Mascherano

Liverpool have rejected Barcelona's offer of $18 million plus Aliaksandr Hleb for the Argentine striker. Liverpool have made it clear they will only consider a straight cash offer for the midfielder, not a player-plus-cash deal. Liverpool are holding out for a $30 million offer according to Goal.com.

Liverpool sources say the club accepts the fact Mascherano probably played his last game for Liverpool against Arsenal (1-1 draw) and that the player's value will only diminish if he is held against his will.

Manchester City Handle Liverpool With Ease 3-0

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=106322802#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

Torres looked rusty and slow. He had a couple of opportunities but couldn't turn on the ball fast enough. Mascherano not only did not play, he wasn't on the bench. It looks like he is on his way out, possibly to Barcelona.

This was the biggest loss Liverpool has ever experienced at the hands of Manchester City since 1937.

wow! thanks as always for posting!

Liverpool Want Real Madrid Midfielder Mahamadou Diarra As Replacement For Mascherano

Goal.com: "English Premier League side Liverpool have expressed an interest in Real Madrid defensive midfielder Mahamadou Diarra, with Javier Mascherano's exit from Anfield moving ever closer.

Spanish publication AS states that Reds boss Roy Hodgson is already compiling a list of possible alternatives in the centre of the pitch, following Mascherano’s recent comments that he has no intentions of playing for the club again, and Diarra has emerged as a key target.

The Mali captain is surplus to requirements at the Santiago Bernabeu following the arrival of Sami Khedira, and has been told to find another club, alerting a number of European sides.

Diarra’s contract expires in the summer of 2011 and Hodgson will look to strike a deal before the end of the transfer window.

Mascherano has not travelled with the Liverpool squad for their Europa League tie versus Trabzonspor, with the Argentine edging ever closer to a move to Spanish giants Barcelona, hastening Liverpool’s fervour to bring in additional cover."

Barcelona Have Until Sunday To Finalize A Deal For Mascherano

Hodgson told Sky Sports he wants the Argentine's future to be decided by Sunday.

"I wouldn't want to say he has played his last game for Liverpool, Hodgson said, according to Sky Sports. The negotiations are ongoing between the two clubs and if he had played here it might have prejudiced the transfer and I didn't wish to do that to the player.

I am seriously hoping that in the next couple of days it will be sorted out one way or another - although I have no idea which way that will be.

Tomorrow night was out of the question but Sunday is very much a question because I think by then I should know one way or another whether he is going to play for Liverpool this season or Barcelona."

It is believed Liverpool want $30 million for the Argentine midfielder.

Gago Out 4-5 Weeks After Spraining Knee

A statement on Real Madrid's official website reads:

"A physical exploration and a magnetic resonance have confirmed Fernando Gago has a Grade II sprain on the internal lateral ligament of his left knee.

Areas surrounding the ligament have not been affected. The player will miss 4 to 5 weeks and his recovery will be monitored by the medical staff."

Gago was injured Tuesday in the friendly against Penarol when he collided with Matia Aguirregaray and limped off.

Ibrahimovic: I Haven't Spoken To Pep In 6 Months!

The soap opera takes another turn! In an interview with Sky Sports, the Swedish striker says he has not spoken to his coach in 6 months. He goes on to say he dreams of playing alongside AC Milan's Ronaldinho, who played Barcelona today in their last friendly before the start of La Liga.

"I haven't spoken to Guardiola for six months," Ibrahimovic told Sky Sports. "I do not know the reason for this, but there are certainly problems. I asked him what the problem was, but I didn't get a response."

"As for Milan, for now, I do not know anything about a possible move, so I will remain a Barcelona player. I am happy here, and I don't know what the problem is. But I would like to play alongside a player such as Ronaldinho," he added.

Guardiola Responds To Ibra's Comments

Speaking after Barca's 3-1 friendly victory over AC Milan in penalty kicks, Pep Guardiola hinted the Swedish striker's days at Camp Nou could be numbered. He refuted rumors of a rift between him and Ibra and revealed Barcelona are listening to offers for the Swede.

"If I have only spoken to him twice in the last six months, it is for some reason," Guardiola told the assembled press.

"There's always a reason for things. I'm super communicative and talked to him for 45 minutes, it was not a tense conversation."

"I have an open door, if we do not [speak], sure there's a reason but now is not the time to talk about it. I insist. For the sake of the institution it is better not say anything."

Guardiola then suggested it is Ibra's attitude, not his play, that is causing the problem. "There's always a player and a person and the person comes first. I am coach of Barcelona, not coach of one player. I have no problems with his behavior in training. He was an example of professionalism at work, but there is a person and that always comes first."

Street, you'll be pretty jealous of this...

My wife and I are going on our delayed honeymoon in November to Spain and Italy (where we have both studied abroad). We are going to Rome, an area north of Venice (where I studied), Granada, and Madrid!

And we were planning our trip around either to see a Roma game or Real Madrid, and we both decided we would rather watch Real...so we are going to go to the Real Madrid-Athletic Bilbao game on Nov 21!

This will be my 3rd game that I have gone to in Europe. I went to Milan-Roma at the San Siro (heaven for me since I'm an AC Milan supporter). Then later that year I went to a Barca-Real Betis game at the Camp Nou (also good for me, because Barca is 2nd favorite for me), in 2007 when they had Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry and Eto'o. Lets just say I wet myself watching those 4 warmup, so the game was fantastic.

So as you can probably imagine, I am beyond excited to see the new Galacticos at the Bernabeu!

My wife and I are going on our delayed honeymoon in November to Spain and Italy (where we have both studied abroad). We are going to Rome, an area north of Venice (where I studied), Granada, and Madrid!

And we were planning our trip around either to see a Roma game or Real Madrid, and we both decided we would rather watch Real...so we are going to go to the Real Madrid-Athletic Bilbao game on Nov 21!

This will be my 3rd game that I have gone to in Europe. I went to Milan-Roma at the San Siro (heaven for me since I'm an AC Milan supporter). Then later that year I went to a Barca-Real Betis game at the Camp Nou (also good for me, because Barca is 2nd favorite for me), in 2007 when they had Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry and Eto'o. Lets just say I wet myself watching those 4 warmup, so the game was fantastic.

So as you can probably imagine, I am beyond excited to see the new Galacticos at the Bernabeu!

I am beyond jealous. make sure you take plenty of pictures. I've heard the pre-game festivities are amazing! and kudos on the wife wanting to go see a game! You're damn lucky.

Inter Make Bid For Mascherano

In another twist in the Mascherano saga, sporting director Marco Branca has confirmed that Inter Milan have made an offer for the Argentine midfielder.

"I sent an offer to Liverpool by fax on Tuesday and am waiting for a reply from them," Branca said in the Sun newspaper. "We're not speaking to the player at the moment because we want to do this in the right way and make sure that Liverpool are happy."

"Everybody knows that Mascherano would like to change team and to change country. He also has a good relationship with our manager Rafa Benitez. We've made a very good offer, around the amount they are asking for. We have a strong team here, the best in Europe, but we would like to add one or two players to make us even stronger."

I am beyond jealous. make sure you take plenty of pictures. I've heard the pre-game festivities are amazing! and kudos on the wife wanting to go see a game! You're damn lucky.

I will be sure to take pictures. A lot. And I'll post them here once we get back.

I am pretty damn lucky. However, it didn't take any convincing, as we are both huge soccer fans and have played all our lives. In fact, she is a 2 time Class A state Champ and 4 time finalist...she was on the legendary Lincoln East team from 03-06.

But back to european soccer...

I would love to have Milan get Ibra. He fit in well at Inter and scored a lot of goals. I think his body type and style of play is more suited to the rough and tumble defensive minded Italian league.

I do like Milan's new additions of Boateng and Amelia. I was really surprised at the Boateng signing...as it was someone under 25 :rollin

They need to infuse some youth players into the A side, and especially the defense. They won't make it through the year with that line.