***European Soccer Thread***

Yes, but you're talking right now, literally in the opening act of the MLS's run. It may be 'minor league' now, but it does have some coveted players, and it happens to reside in a country with a shitton o' bank, if you know what I mean. All I'm saying is get it on TV, get fans to the games, get the football talk at the water cooler to contain a reference to soccer now and again and you'll have yourself a start. If you can find a way to get European leagues televised, too, you might see a sudden surge in interest.

It's possible, that's all I'm saying.

What year are you living in? The MLS has been around since 1996 and it still has the smallest amount of fan support among any of the major sports in this country. I don't know if you realize this, but the players get paid more in Europe than they do here. Ronaldo was signed for over $80 million by Real Madrid. Get it on tv? You do realize MLS games have been on tv since 1996 right? European games are on tv...it's called Fox Soccer Channel

And FSC is ESPN on ABC suddenly? What year are you living in?

I'm well aware that players get payed more in Europe than they do here, yet Mr. Beckham signed with the Galaxy for 250 million. The US sh#ts gold for athletes, but it's a cyclical game we're playing. You need the fans to pay the players, but you need the players to get the fans. It comes down to marketing and creating interest. Your original point that Americans like contact sports and high scoring games holds no weight with me. I'm an American and I don't. Plus, soccer is more physical than people give it credit for.

I don't understand where this presupposition that soccer is destined to fail forever in the United States is coming from, especially when you consider increasing trends towards globalization. The first thing that enchanted me was the international aspects of the sport, which has no peer in football, baseball, or basketball, even counting the Olympics. Again, I am not saying this is a quick thing, or an easy thing, or that if you broadcasted games nationally every day for the next decade that even that would make it what the NFL is now. But if you get a grassroots movement of support and some time, the world can throw a surprise or two your way.

I'm well aware that players get payed more in Europe than they do here, yet Mr. Beckham signed with the Galaxy for 250 million. The US sh#ts gold for athletes, but it's a cyclical game we're playing. You need the fans to pay the players, but you need the players to get the fans. It comes down to marketing and creating interest. Your original point that Americans like contact sports and high scoring games holds no weight with me. I'm an American and I don't. Plus, soccer is more physical than people give it credit for.

I don't understand where this presupposition that soccer is destined to fail forever in the United States is coming from, especially when you consider increasing trends towards globalization. The first thing that enchanted me was the international aspects of the sport, which has no peer in football, baseball, or basketball, even counting the Olympics. Again, I am not saying this is a quick thing, or an easy thing, or that if you broadcasted games nationally every day for the next decade that even that would make it what the NFL is now. But if you get a grassroots movement of support and some time, the world can throw a surprise or two your way.

You would have to be an absolute fool to think ABC is going to start showing games. FOX, ABC, NBC or CBS will not be airing MLS games. I can guarantee you that. Ratings would be in the shitter. David Beckham is the only player in the MLS getting paid more than $1 million per year. By the way, how has that turned out for him? Last time I checked, he was trying to get the hell outta LA as fast as he could for AC Milan.

Man United Midfielder Anderson Involved In Horrific Car Crash

According to Jornal de Noticias, a Portuguese newspaper, the 22 year old was on his way home from a night club at 7 in the morning when he was involved in a car crash. Almeno Antunes, who helped rescue the passengers in the car, said this: "I saw a cloud of smoke ahead of me. The car was unable to straighten up after a slight bend and went into the field and caught fire. I thought he was dead. My brother dragged him out." Anderson was pulled from the car moments before it burst into flames.

You would have to be an absolute fool to think ABC is going to start showing games. FOX, ABC, NBC or CBS will not be airing MLS games. I can guarantee you that. Ratings would be in the shitter. David Beckham is the only player in the MLS getting paid more than $1 million per year. By the way, how has that turned out for him? Last time I checked, he was trying to get the hell outta LA as fast as he could for AC Milan.

:facepalm:

By way of concluding my thoughts on this merry-go-round of a conversation, I'll restate my position in the clearest possible way.

To the soccer fans or detractors that say the sport will NEVER make it in the US (this would be you), my response is you have fashioned yourself a self-fulfilling prophecy. Well of course it won't if people who love the sport exclusively watch European games, won't support the MLS, won't watch it while it's on or casually promote it in conversation. But if you take a small, loyal fanbase, think long-term, keep adding interesting international players, and tap into the soccer culture that exists worldwide via promotion and increasing internet access to matches,it is not inconceivable that soccer could gain popularity in the United States.

Once again, I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen, or that it will happen, or that it's even likely to happen. My only point was that soccer as a sport brings a lot to the table. There's nothing inherent to it that turns off US audiences––baseball already negates every point you might make. The problem is nobody watches it because it's never on TV, or it's on a network nobody has, or it's on too late or too early. But you would be the fool if you thought ABC wouldn't televise soccer matches if that's what the public wanted.

The NFL was started in 1920. Football was barely on the map. Now look at it. Good promotion, good business dealings, and establishing the sport with kids builds a culture that can envelop the sporting world within a century. It ain't easy, but it's been done. We have a lot of athletes in this country.

By way of concluding my thoughts on this merry-go-round of a conversation, I'll restate my position in the clearest possible way.

To the soccer fans or detractors that say the sport will NEVER make it in the US (this would be you), my response is you have fashioned yourself a self-fulfilling prophecy. Well of course it won't if people who love the sport exclusively watch European games, won't support the MLS, won't watch it while it's on or casually promote it in conversation. But if you take a small, loyal fanbase, think long-term, keep adding interesting international players, and tap into the soccer culture that exists worldwide via promotion and increasing internet access to matches,it is not inconceivable that soccer could gain popularity in the United States.

Once again, I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen, or that it will happen, or that it's even likely to happen. My only point was that soccer as a sport brings a lot to the table. There's nothing inherent to it that turns off US audiences––baseball already negates every point you might make. The problem is nobody watches it because it's never on TV, or it's on a network nobody has, or it's on too late or too early. But you would be the fool if you thought ABC wouldn't televise soccer matches if that's what the public wanted.

The NFL was started in 1920. Football was barely on the map. Now look at it. Good promotion, good business dealings, and establishing the sport with kids builds a culture that can envelop the sporting world within a century. It ain't easy, but it's been done. We have a lot of athletes in this country.

For the love of God, please stop posting in this thread.

For the love of God, please stop posting in this thread.

Oh, right, sorry. You were carrying on that conversation with...with...who was it again?

(Checks pages three and four)

Thought you might be glad for the company.

Baggio To Return To Azzuri

Italian legend Roberto Baggio is expected to be confirmed the new committee president of the Italian Football Federation after a board meeting on Wednesday. Baggio said: "I have given my assent, on my part there's the maximum willingness to hold the role of president of the technical sector at Coverciano. Now however I have to wait the Federal Board on Wednesday."

Torres Commits To Liverpool

“This is the best club in the country so the targets and expectations are always high. Hopefully we can stay at our level. At Liverpool the aim is to fight for every title," the striker told the club’s official website.

"It was difficult last season but we are sure we can improve this season. I am really happy to be back, really happy to stay with all my teammates.

My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed. I am looking forward to the challenge ahead.”

Robben Out For 2 Months With Left Thigh Tear

Bayern Munich doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt has confirmed the star striker has suffered a tear in the same thigh which caused him to miss the first half of the World Cup finals.

"This is a very serious injury. The scan has revealed a hole of five centimetre in the muscle. It's irresponsible that he played at the World Cup with this injury and that nobody spotted this injury before," said Mueller Wohlfahrt on the Bayern website.

Jozy Altidore To Transfer To Besiktas

A source close to Altidore has told Goal.com the American striker (who currently plays for Villarreal) is on his way to play for the Turkish club. If the deal does become official, Altidore will join one of the greatest Spanish players ever in Guti who signed with the club earlier this summer.

Kaka Out 3-4 Months After Knee Surgery

A statement on Real Madrid's official website read:

"The operation performed on the left knee of Real Madrid C.F.'s Ricardo Izecson Dos Santos Leite 'Kaka' by Dr. Marc Martens at Antwerp's AZ Monica Hospital was a success.

The arthroscopic surgery confirmed an injury to the left meniscus with minimal inflammation of the cartilage. The player is expected to miss three to four months."

It is unknown when he picked up this injury.

Fabregas Commits To Arsenal

Announced on Arsenal's official website, Fabregas said:

"Firstly, I would like to apologise to all the Arsenal fans for not speaking sooner about my future but I've not known what I was going to do until this moment...I cannot deny that joining a club like Barcelona was not an attractive move for me. This was the club I learned my football, my hometown, where all my friends and family are and a club I have always dreamed of playing...I can assure all the fans that now the negotiations are ended I will be 100 per cent focused on playing for Arsenal."

Zanetti Extends Contract With Inter

Inter Milan have confirmed on their official website Javier Zanetti has signed a new deal that will keep him at the San Siro for 3 more years. His current contract was set to expire in 2011 but his impressive performances from last year's historic season persuaded Massimo Moratti to extend the Argentine's stay until June 30, 2013.