***European Soccer Thread***

For any soccer fans on this board (probably not many, but what the hell), I would love to talk about weekly matches. It can be any European league, but I am assuming you are probably a fan of one of the big three: English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, or Italian Serie A. Of course, the Champions League is going on as well as is the Europa League. The World Cup is also in two months. I myself am a big Spanish soccer fan, not only because of the amazing talent that comes out of the country, but I believe they have some of the most passionate fans in all of the world (Euro 2008).

Anyways, I would love to talk to any soccer fans as it is not exactly easy to find them among people you work with.

• Fire 1

I'm a Fulham supporter, only because of my refusal to pick a big four team in England

I am really excited about the job that Hodgson has done with them getting them to the semis of the Europa League

Other than that I only follow Spain, Italy, and Germany casually, but I have increased my knowledge a lot playing Fifa soccer on my PS3 and listening to World Soccer Daily back when they were a free podcast

One of the best sporting experiences I had was sitting at a bar off of Rue de Montparnasse watching France play Italy in World Cup qualifiers. The locals were SO into the game. Our waitress was an American Expat, so she helped us figure out what was going on, but just being around the energy of those fans was a lot of fun. It also helped that France won. We cheered once when France scored, and a guy at the next table bought us a round.

Soccer/football/futbol is a lot of fun, and the best thing about watching it on TV is - NO COMMERCIALS.

Soccer/football/futbol is a lot of fun, and the best thing about watching it on TV is - NO COMMERCIALS.

that and you know when it's going to be over. I love watching college football (obviously)...but when games can last anywhere between 3-5 hours, it can get really frustrating if you have other things to do. Same thing with basketball (the only sport where it's okay to foul...doesn't make any sense to me)

I've played soccer my entire life and currently play indoor on a couple teams...but I just never got into watching pro soccer (besides the World Cup). Although, I kind of followed it when I was living with a roommate who was a big Man United supporter. I hope the US gets picked as the location for the 2018 games. Rumor has it KC may be one of cities to get a game...that'd be cool to see.

I currently play college soccer and I have played semi-professionally. I dont follow too much of a certain league but I do watch as much champions league as possible. Barca is such an unbelievable team to watch along with Arsenal.

One of the best sporting experiences I had was sitting at a bar off of Rue de Montparnasse watching France play Italy in World Cup qualifiers. The locals were SO into the game. Our waitress was an American Expat, so she helped us figure out what was going on, but just being around the energy of those fans was a lot of fun. It also helped that France won. We cheered once when France scored, and a guy at the next table bought us a round.

I have a similar experience to share. While studying aboard in Italy during 2003 (I think), I got to watch AC Milan and Juventus battle for the Champions League final. This was the first time in history that two Italian teams made final. I studied in Paderno del Grappa which is about 40 miles northwest of Venice and has plenty of fans of both teams.

I watched it in the local college auditorium (if you can call it that). Half a the kids were huge AC fans while the other half was pulling for Juventus. They literally divided the place in two, and aside from the colorful smack talk, refused to acknowledge each other. I had so much fun watching the game engrossed in their passion.

By the way, I sat on the AC side - we won :)