official spring game thread

I agree with Thenarse. He seemed involved a lot. I also noticed Gomes quite a bit, and I noticed Amukamara quite a bit, but NOT for anything good. Well, he had one pretty good breakup, but he seemed like he played the game in third gear to me. I get that Paul took a step forward in the offseason, but most on those two long pass completions it looked like Prince was barely trying.

Gomes did look good. Looks like we're going to have 3 very capable safeties (West didn't really wow me) in Thenarse, Smith, and Gomes. And I'm not too worried about Prince...we know what he's capable. :koolaid2:

I agree with Thenarse. He seemed involved a lot. I also noticed Gomes quite a bit, and I noticed Amukamara quite a bit, but NOT for anything good. Well, he had one pretty good breakup, but he seemed like he played the game in third gear to me. I get that Paul took a step forward in the offseason, but most on those two long pass completions it looked like Prince was barely trying.

Gomes did look good. Looks like we're going to have 3 very capable safeties (West didn't really wow me) in Thenarse, Smith, and Gomes. And I'm not too worried about Prince...we know what he's capable. :koolaid2:

Thenarse definitely looked solid & he still hits hard. I was most impressed with Gomes, who is going to be a great safety for us this year. He's obviously picked up the safety role with ease & his natural play-making abilities will cause fits for any QB, not to mention he hits in a fashion eerily similar to a guy named Larry Asante. He got after it & even had a penalty that you'd swear only Asante would commit (helmet to helmet along the sideline).

The weakest link is West at this point. As easily as Middleton got beat on Henry's long TD, West was totally out of position. Sure, Green threw a great ball, but there's no reason a safety shouldn't have been back there to take Henry down. Simply put, we can't afford to have a guy back there who makes mistakes like that. I hope he learns his role better as the season nears b/c right now West just doesn't cut it.

I had a great time except the drunk, fat, old, idiot with the champions club necklace in front of me that still thinks this game is 1s vs 2s and Cody Green sucked for failing against the, "second string defense." About the 15th time I truly got annoyed. If you're too drunk and clueless to not realize Jared Crick isn't on the second string, it would be better for everyone if you said nothing. It's pretty bad when the people you came to the game with are ignoring you.

They weren't ignoring me, they were listening to my pearls of wisdom!

It wasn't you! I can't imagine this man had access to a computer.

I traded those teeth I am missing for a computer.

Ok, so not having seen the game yesterday, or for that matter even listening to it, I am dumbfounded as to how people were impressed with TMart and CGreen yet no one is picking either to start over Lee. How can two qb's get any praise whatsoever yet not possibly be better options than a guy who was not deserving of praise at any time last year? We are in trouble if Lee is #1 next year. We are in trouble the following year if Carnes or Turner aren't any good, because we will have to start someone who can't beat out Lee. That is all.

You make a valid point, & in response I'd say people are giving Lee the advantage for two reasons: 1) he's much more experienced with one full season under his belt, and 2) his best game of last season vs AZ is the last memory we have of him at this point.

That said I think Martinez & Green are really going to give Lee a run for his money, especially Martinez. Call it jumping on the bandwagon if you want, but after finally getting to see him play, I'm sold. This kid is something special, a guy with the "it" factor we've been waiting for. He seemed more composed & decisive than Green, and a hell of a lot quicker & faster, which is ultimately what sets him apart. While both did a nice job of going through progressions, I think Green had a tendency to latch onto Paul, just like last year. Martinez on the other hand didn't stare down any receivers that I could tell. Both are fairly accurate passers, and looking at completion percentage you can see Martinez was slightly more accurate, especially on the short to mid-range passes (his TD pass to Legate had the perfect touch & precision). I'd argue the only "it" factor Green provides is his ability to throw the long ball; however, Lee is more than capable of doing just that & Martinez is not far behind (although he really didn't get a chance to throw the bombs Green did b/c he didn't have the deep threat guys on his squad). When it comes right down to it, what I'm trying to convey is that I think Martinez is better than Green. He's more of a dual-threat QB than Green, and his ability to get out of trouble in a collapsing pocket and jet past defenders in the open will wreak havoc on any opponent. And that's something we need desperately from our QB.

• Fire 1

Cody Green may have been inaccurate on his passes, but he made sound decisions all afternoon. I don't think I saw a pass of his that was forced to a receiver or could have been picked off. Martinez had two of those types of plays (one was picked, the other was dropped). I'll say it again, I don't want to go into the season with Martinez as the starting QB. At this point in time he's a better role player. While Green is inaccurate on the short throws, he seems to throw a really good deep ball (see his pass to Paul, and his TD). I don't think that type of play is something we want all year, but if Lee goes down I fully expect Green and Martinez to split time.

Cody Green may have been inaccurate on his passes, but he made sound decisions all afternoon. I don't think I saw a pass of his that was forced to a receiver or could have been picked off. Martinez had two of those types of plays (one was picked, the other was dropped). I'll say it again, I don't want to go into the season with Martinez as the starting QB. At this point in time he's a better role player. While Green is inaccurate on the short throws, he seems to throw a really good deep ball (see his pass to Paul, and his TD). I don't think that type of play is something we want all year, but if Lee goes down I fully expect Green and Martinez to split time.

Like Jamal Lord!!!!

But seriously though, the reason we're bringing in mobile QBs is for "multiplicity" in the offense. The best way to beat a team is to make them one-dimensional (like we did to Zona, but they were more like zero-dimensional), and with a guy like Martinez with not-so-great passing skills, it just makes us easier to be made one-dimensional. That's why I don't see him being a starter

You don't want that, but what about the coaches? They've made it clear the best QB will play, and at this point in time I think Martinez is a very viable option when compared to Green and Lee (depending on how he responds once fully healthy). There's no doubt this is a 3-way battle for the starting spot.

Now, I do agree it would probably be wisest to start either Lee or Green in the 1st 2-3 games, especially when we go to Washington, rather than the one who has no real-time experience. However, I definitely think Martinez should get several series & legit PT to make his case for a starting spot after those 1st couple of games.