Trusting Taylor?

Nexus

I think we need to focus more on controlling the ball and ground game. With that being said, I would say Lee is the better fit just for that reason. Ball control and a smart offense coupled with a good defense is what I would take over a big time, running and gunning offense.

I think we need to focus more on controlling the ball and ground game. With that being said, I would say Lee is the better fit just for that reason. Ball control and a smart offense coupled with a good defense is what I would take over a big time, running and gunning offense.

that's really a good point. you have to look at our defense when considering the offense. with a stout defense, we just need long, continued drives.

also, with our stable of running backs, we really don't need a running qb as much as a decent passer. we should go with the strongest passer (and best game manager) at this point.

that's really a good point. you have to look at our defense when considering the offense. with a stout defense, we just need long, continued drives.

also, with our stable of running backs, we really don't need a running qb as much as a decent passer. we should go with the strongest passer (and best game manager) at this point.

These are far & away the best points anyone has made about the QB race. We'll have another great D & our running game will be much improved w/ a healthy Oline clearing paths for very solid RBs. Tell you what, as excited as I am to see what our QB can do, I'm even more pumped to see our running game mash over opposing defenses.

Well not to play devils advocate here, but didn't Joe Dailey have a pretty impressive spring game also? :facepalm: Come fall I think it is still Zac's to lose, but I do love that fact that there could be 3 guys scratching and clawing their way to the top spot, that just makes it even more better for the future. :thumbs

I think it really depends what our actual offense looks like. I am well aware of what Wats wants, but usually what he wants doesn't happen.

If it ends up being a spread running attack, I am not sure how you can't pick Martinez. Green and Lee are just average runners who run straight ahead. Neither has shown any elusiveness and neither has really shown that explosiveness that Martinez has.

I would love Martinez to start. So many times last year I got frustrated after a play broke down and it ended in a sack. How nice would it be to gain four yards - and possibly even alot more - on broken plays? Does he have the best arm on the team? No. Will he make poor decisions when throwing the ball? Yes, but this will improve with more experience. Oh, and those zone reads Wats is so fond of may actually have a chance to work since Martinez is actually a running threat.

How scary would it be for defenses to see Martinez at QB and Helu/Burkhead in the backfield with him? It gets me excited just thinking about it.

Well not to play devils advocate here, but didn't Joe Dailey have a pretty impressive spring game also? :facepalm: Come fall I think it is still Zac's to lose, but I do love that fact that there could be 3 guys scratching and clawing their way to the top spot, that just makes it even more better for the future. :thumbs

He did, and there are plenty of other cautionary tales to tell about past Spring Game Stars, but at least in Dailey's situation, he went up against the second-string defense, not one with first and second stringers mixed in. I tend to think Martinez' performance against some Blackshirts tells us more about his abilities than the 2004 Spring Game told us about Dailey.

I think it really depends what our actual offense looks like. I am well aware of what Wats wants, but usually what he wants doesn't happen.

If it ends up being a spread running attack, I am not sure how you can't pick Martinez. Green and Lee are just average runners who run straight ahead. Neither has shown any elusiveness and neither has really shown that explosiveness that Martinez has.

I would love Martinez to start. So many times last year I got frustrated after a play broke down and it ended in a sack. How nice would it be to gain four yards - and possibly even alot more - on broken plays? Does he have the best arm on the team? No. Will he make poor decisions when throwing the ball? Yes, but this will improve with more experience. Oh, and those zone reads Wats is so fond of may actually have a chance to work since Martinez is actually a running threat.

How scary would it be for defenses to see Martinez at QB and Helu/Burkhead in the backfield with him? It gets me excited just thinking about it.

Nice points. I too would certainly take Martinez over Green. Lee will likely get the nod this year.... Martinez will get some experience. I'd redshirt Green and see about another position for him or see if the year will allow him to develop further as a QB. With Lee then graduated, the 2011 season is where it will get interesting.

He did, and there are plenty of other cautionary tales to tell about past Spring Game Stars, but at least in Dailey's situation, he went up against the second-string defense, not one with first and second stringers mixed in. I tend to think Martinez' performance against some Blackshirts tells us more about his abilities than the 2004 Spring Game told us about Dailey.

Correct, but I might save the Martinez :leghump: until the depth chart comes out this fall. I want the best QB on the field, so hopefully by conference play they have the best guy leading the O.

Nice points. I too would certainly take Martinez over Green. Lee will likely get the nod this year.... Martinez will get some experience. I'd redshirt Green and see about another position for him or see if the year will allow him to develop further as a QB. With Lee then graduated, the 2011 season is where it will get interesting.

That's just crazy talk. Cody is a QB, no question. He's still young but his abilities, while somewhat raw, are good enough to make him a serious contender for the starting QB job this year. I was all about redshirting Green last year, but that ship has sailed. He's in the mix, and he'll produce if we need him to.

Once again no one will start but Lee Beginning the season, baring any unforeseen disasters. I have lost most of my man crush on Green but I still feel he has the right tools to be a good QB. (maybe not the second coming of Frazier but Good) I'm still not sold on "T-Mart" although I am very Cautiously Excited to hear good things. The other thing I know is in no way shape or form is have 3 contenders a Bad thing. I am SO ready for fall!!!!!! :koolaid2::restore:cheers