New Big 12

godd2

I'd rather see Nebraska go to the Big 10 than have Missouri leave and CU leave and bring in TCU. Yet another Texas team in the big 12 will be one more school to hurt our recruiting efforts in Texas. Then again, a move to the Big 10 will probably destroy our recruiting efforts in Texas - but we'd have 20 million more dollars a year. Hard to say what would be best for us in the end.

I'd rather see Nebraska go to the Big 10 than have Missouri leave and CU leave and bring in TCU. Yet another Texas team in the big 12 will be one more school to hurt our recruiting efforts in Texas. Then again, a move to the Big 10 will probably destroy our recruiting efforts in Texas - but we'd have 20 million more dollars a year. Hard to say what would be best for us in the end.

i think it would be better for NU to leave to the big 11, and with more money, better recruiting. we could still recruit in texas if we were a top echelon team.

Big12: BYU gets offered an invitation to take Colorado's spot in the Big12.

Why BYU when the Big 12 could take TCU or Houston?

The only reason I could see BYU is because we already have the Texas market covered, because Houston and TCU don't bring much by way of fans and whatnot. But I think Utah would be first due to the Salt Lake City market.

TCU is becoming quite popular down here. Fort Worth and even a few Dallas folk have started to adopt the Frogs. Plus the Big 12 would be adding a school that actually is IN DFW marketplace...........Texas has a stranglehold on the Metroplex and bringing in the Frogs would help the exposure of the out of state schools of the Big 12 North. Not to mention recruiting. How many times does Nebraska play in Dallas a year? ZERO. Yet, you recruit the hell out of the area so why not have a game there every other year?

Well if we start playing the Frogs regularly, you might want to tell your fans to actually go INSIDE the stadium for the game. Otherwise, it will be a Red Out for sure.

Edit: By the way, I'm just giving you a hard time. I have family that works for the football team, so I get to hear some of the stuff that goes on down there. I'll hopefully be making it to Ft Worth for a game sometime soon.

The thing you have to remember is, it's not simply the size of the market a team is in. Rutgers blows most markets away, but they don't command viewership like other teams, which is why they're not mentioned as a lock for the Big 10 to target. Same goes for Missouri - Kansas City and St. Louis are large markets but viewership of Missouri games hasn't historically been huge.

In a recent blog the other day that I posted about the Big 10 expansion, the guy who wrote it said that Mizzou to the Big 10 doesn't really add more TV sets since the Big 10 network is already available to the St. Louis metropolitan area.

Maybe frodaddy can confirm or deny this? :dunno

just because a network is in a market doesn't mean people are watching it. missourians would probably watch is a lot more (with or without mizzou playing) is mizzou was in the big 11.

I understand that, I was just curious if the Big 10 network is in fact available to that area?

I know its available on the Ill. side, But I am not sure if it is on the MO side. I know its not in KC unless you have satalite and pay extra for it. It would add TV sets just because it would become part of the normal sports packages in MO, just like espn2 and all the others in the second tier. If most carriers in MO picked it up, thats nearly 5 million extra TV sets. Regardless if people are watching, there is the 'possibility' of viewers. The reason MU is a nice option of adding viewers is pretty simple. Nobody here gives two poo's about Saint Joseph Missouri. It would not surprise me if most didnt even know where or what it is. Cause St. Joe is just another MO town. Another Mo town that has nearly 100,000 people in it that doesnt have the BIG10 network. Just another MO town that would be the 3rd largest town in my current state.

Its a numbers game. MU does have a decent veiwership, they also have pretty decent attendence (most on here would have you believe nobody watches or shows up for games), but the attendence numbers from the NCAA and TV rating of their games prove otherwise.

When its all said and done the extra TV's are just a cherry on top. There is no way they would even consider MU if they didnt feel it was a good move for the BIG10 as a whole. TV viewers or not. MU has a good athletic department. They are pretty well rounded.

But back to the question, as far as i know most of the western half as far as i know doesnt have access to that channel. Cant speak for certain about the eastern half though.