Andy Staples: Post-spring Top 25 pre-season rankings

Nebraska is 13th in this one. In my opinion this is about where we should be. I'd rather see us work our way up the rankings with Texas ranked ahead of us. That's just more fuel for the fire come 10/16.

LINK

I agree. Last season was great and all, but a lot has changed this off-season. I think a lot of these preseason rankings are stuck on our performance in the Big 12 CCG. They seem to forget how inept our offense was, and how much that unit has to prove this year for us to live up to those higher rankings.

Nebraska is 13th in this one. In my opinion this is about where we should be. I'd rather see us work our way up the rankings with Texas ranked ahead of us. That's just more fuel for the fire come 10/16.

LINK

That's about where I bet we'll be when the AP finally does come out. We always seem to be lower in the AP then the publications predict

Iowa seems a little high to me. They've got a lot of replacing to do. Miami seems high too. They haven't shown anything over the past 2 years that indicates that they can put a whole season together.

Nebraska's spring star was Rickey Thenarse? Yes he came back this year but I wouldn't call him the star of the spring.

You have to give that honor to Taylor Martinez or Niles Paul, IMO. The spring (especially the spring game) is more about offense anyway. Thenarse had 1 pick in the spring game and he's the star....i don't think so.

He also forced a fumble and added 7 tackles. At least he's deserving of it from the defense.

Nebraska's spring star was Rickey Thenarse? Yes he came back this year but I wouldn't call him the star of the spring.

You have to give that honor to Taylor Martinez or Niles Paul, IMO. The spring (especially the spring game) is more about offense anyway. Thenarse had 1 pick in the spring game and he's the star....i don't think so.

He also forced a fumble and added 7 tackles. At least he's deserving of it from the defense.

Agreed. I'm no scout, but he stood out to me the most at the spring game.

Yes Thearnse did stand out at the spring game and may locked up one of the starting safety spots. As far as Niles Paul goes, I expect that kinda of performance from him. Martinez numbers from the spring game werent that exciting, 60 yards rushing and 76 passing yards. So I can see why Maisel thinks Thearnse was MVP of the spring(game).

lets not forget TheNarse ended his season on a monster INT for TD. His injury made room for Asante, O'hanlon, Cassidy, etc...I wouldn't be surprised if he rises this year.

at the very least, makes everyone better by veteran competition.

Yes Thearnse did stand out at the spring game and may locked up one of the starting safety spots. As far as Niles Paul goes, I expect that kinda of performance from him. Martinez numbers from the spring game werent that exciting, 60 yards rushing and 76 passing yards. So I can see why Maisel thinks Thearnse was MVP of the spring(game).

You guys are nuts :nutz:lol:

lets not forget TheNarse ended his season on a monster INT for TD. His injury made room for Asante, O'hanlon, Cassidy, etc...I wouldn't be surprised if he rises this year.

Uh what? He hurt his knee on a seemingly inconspicuous special teams play last year.

13-18 is a fair range, IMO, for where we should be.

We didn't earn anything to be getting this top 5 hype. Yeah, we played a lot of top teams tough, but top 5 teams win those games. I want to see us earn that spot, not start with sky high expectations and be regarded as a disappointment.

I'm pretty sure that Thenarse has never had a TD. I think you're thinking of Asante's pick 6 against ULL when he kinda hobbled out of the endzone and everyone thought it was an ACL.

I'm pretty sure that Thenarse has never had a TD. I think you're thinking of Asante's pick 6 against ULL when he kinda hobbled out of the endzone and everyone thought it was an ACL.

I think overall these rankings are pretty spot on. However, Georgia Tech lost alot of talent in the draft and I just don't see them staying in the top 25. I'd also consider sliding the Miami Hurricanes up to the 8 or 9 spot. I think the winds are changing down there in Florida and they win the ACC in 2010.