This past Monday I noticed a small red mark on my right knee. I thought maybe it was an ingrown hair so I picked at it, then went to the gym shortly there after. Apparently I brushed up against something at the gym and allowed a staph infection to gain access to my body. Tuesday I noticed my knee was starting to get sore and was fairly red. Wake up Wednesday and my knee was pretty gnarly looking. Went to the doctor on Thursday for it and he said it was a staph infection and told me to come back in when the thing breaks open to have it swabbed for testing. It broke on Friday so I go in and lucky me it sealed back up. Doctor says, "we're gonna have to cut that open." By this time my knee was probably the size of a softball and had a huge point coming from the middle of it. He cut it open without anesthetic and I'm gonna tell you that was probably the most painful thing I've ever been through in my life! He kept pushing on it and pushing on it to try and get the infection out, but all it did was bleed. He's now wondering if I've got MRSA because of the way it looks. He swabbed it so I won't find out until Monday, but I'm worried about it. Anyone else ever had something similiar to this? Apparently if it gets in my knee joint, I've got some serious problems as it'll probably destroy my knee and I'll have to have it replaced most likely. If it gets in my bones, that could be fatal.

I have a friend that's a coach, and staph infections are becoming a problem in locker rooms nation-wide. He got on, and it took forever for it to resolve. BRI, be sure and do whatever the doctor says - this isn't something that will just heal.

knapplc, MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

if it is in fact MRSA they can use vancomycin to treat the staph infection. Then they have to monitor the peak and troughs, of the vanco to insure an appropriate level in your blood to be effective without causing damage to your liver or renal system.

Good luck DooD

GBR

then there is the VRE strain of bacteria that is resistent to vancomycin too. I blame doctors that prescribe ABX to every patient that comes in with the sniffles and has a cold. ie. virus and abx do nothing for viruses. no more soapbox.

if it is in fact MRSA they can use vancomycin to treat the staph infection. Then they have to monitor the peak and troughs, of the vanco to insure an appropriate level in your blood to be effective without causing damage to your liver or renal system.

Good luck DooD

GBR

then there is the VRE strain of bacteria that is resistent to vancomycin too. I blame doctors that prescribe ABX to every patient that comes in with the sniffles and has a cold. ie. virus and abx do nothing for viruses. no more soapbox.

Didn't they develop new antibiotic a few years back called platensimysin just for that incidence? I've heard of them using maggot therapy before also.

I've heard of them using maggot therapy before also.

Maggot therapy is pretty gross, but it's a heck of a lot better than losing your knee joint or your leg. It's a pretty clever use of a pretty nasty little critter, and one I don't think Western medicine would have considered a few decades ago. Here's to progress! :thumbs

I've heard of them using maggot therapy before also.

Maggot therapy is pretty gross, but it's a heck of a lot better than losing your knee joint or your leg. It's a pretty clever use of a pretty nasty little critter, and one I don't think Western medicine would have considered a few decades ago. Here's to progress! :thumbs

Nature's little janitor.