leave it to columbia missouri

I've been discussing this at length on another forum. It's a regrettable situation, but the cops are in a tough spot here. They're given a warrant that basically says this guy is "likely" to be dangerous, so they go in wearing full gear, safeties off, to make the arrest. They had reason to suspect the guy is a drug dealer, but that'll have to play out in the courts. The dog was barking, and I don't know if the cops ever acknowledged that they knew it was in a cage when they shot it. I would guess they didn't know since the lights were off and they were using flashlights, but who knows.

A lot of the outrage over this is Monday Morning Quarterbacking the cops' actions, and that stinks. If you're that cop, you've got a split second to make that call, and dogs are dangerous in that situation because while the cops are distracted by a dog attacking one of their own, the bad could come around a corner and start shooting, then you've got a bunch of wounded cops. So you have to take care of that threat right away, and move on with your goal of finding the bad guy.

What I find far more sad is the little girl who got killed in a similar raid in Detroit just this last weekend. Seven years old, the police break in to arrest a murder suspect, a woman in the house goes after the cop, a shot is fired, and she's killed. Horrible.

As a dog owner I hate this video but as a Correctional Officer I'm around a lot of deputies and city officers and like Knapplc said they have to make slipt second decision and live with the consequences afterward.

I'm not for sure what dog it was but a lot of cities are cracking down on pitbulls but not sure if that dog was a pitbull. Its hard to tell if the dog tried attacking the officers but hearing a dog yelp like that brings chills to my spine and something that I don't want to ever hear in my life.

I don't think shooting and killing the dog was the right option because there are other means of force to take that dog down. The dog doesn't know any better and about 90% of all dogs will bark at anybody coming into your house whether they know that person or not. Remember you're entering their territory and they'll defend that whether its barking or phyically attacking you. I own a british springer spaniel which is a very hyper dog that loves to chase laser lights, flashlights, or any other reflections on the floor that will bark at anyone coming in the door but soon after that he'll pick up a shoe and bring it to you and love you up. I think the officers could've went a different route with a use of force but its hard to tell whether that dog was coming after them or not.

I ran a lot of no knock and knock and announce search warrants in my day. My biggest fear was having some kid jump out with a gun in his hand. As far as taking out a dog goes...I have had to take out a dog or two before. As far as being in a cage goes, dogs can get lose and if the officer felt that the dog was on the verge of getting lose and attacking one of the search team members, then so be it. He is the one that has to articulate why he thought the dog was a threat. As far as the 7 year old getting killed....that was a bad situation all the way around and it is really sad that parents who deal narcotics place their children in harms way.

• Fire 1

I am hoping the Swat Team had Intel telling them that there was a dog, and Kid(s) that were also in the house. It's hard to make a decision when you have just seconds or less and now they will pay a price if a judge/jury sees fit. Drug warrants are tough I hope they have a good case especially since they just had a knock an announce warrant.

I am hoping the Swat Team had Intel telling them that there was a dog, and Kid(s) that were also in the house. It's hard to make a decision when you have just seconds or less and now they will pay a price if a judge/jury sees fit. Drug warrants are tough I hope they have a good case especially since they just had a knock an announce warrant.

You will find that most states (Judges) won't authorize no knock warrants anymore because of liability. I know in Georgia and Florida they are not allowed.