Today is Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

Less than a week ago, "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" was just one artist's idea of a joke. By this afternoon, it had become a worldwide media event – the inspiration for street protests, fodder for cable news networks, and ammunition for armies of angry Facebook users who have vowed to boycott the popular social network. So could "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" do any lasting damage to Facebook?

Probably not.

Here's some background: Comedy Central recently aired an episode of South Park that showed the Prophet Mohammad in a bear suit. After Muslim viewers became furious, Comedy Central yanked the offending scenes; many viewers cried foul. One of those viewers was Molly Norris, an artist living in Seattle. Norris made a fake poster declaring May 20 "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day."

Then someone went and made a Facebook group with the same name. (Norris has disavowed all involvement with the group, and even encouraged her fans to join a Facebook group protesting "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day.") At first, a few hundred fans joined. Then a few thousand. As we publish this post, the membership of "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" has swelled to just under 100,000 Facebook users.

Meanwhile, several Facebook groups have sprung up in protest, and in Pakistan, Islamists have succeeded in convincing a Pakistani court to order a temporary ban of Facebook, YouTube, Wikipedia, mobile Blackberry services, and a number of other websites.

"Everyone should take care not to hurt other's religious sentiments. The actions of Facebook are against our constitution and penal code," Mohammad Azhar Siddique, one of the lawyers who petitioned the High Court for the ban, told a Monitor correspondent today.

The question now is whether Facebook – which stands at the middle of the tempest – will bear the brunt of anger on both sides of the "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" divide. Already, plenty of folks have called for a boycott of Facebook.

"It is incompant [sic] on every Muslim to boycut [sic] facebook [sic]. It is clear that everything has an alternative and competition. Muslims should promote businesses and sites that practice freedom of religion, tollerance [sic], and respect of others," a Monitor reader wrote today in the comments section of an article about "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day."

But Facebook is a sprawling website, with millions and millions of members. Even if a discontented few managed to organize a boycott, it's unlikely that the noise would be loud enough to make a dent in Facebook traffic. As we have reported in the past, Facebook is always under one kind of fire or another – for site updates, for security problems, for redesigns. And it always comes out unscathed.

LINK

I suppose the question here is whether or not this is really about insulting religion or freedom of speech? To my mind, hurling death threats at Danish cartoonists and intimidating American cable outlets into stripping pictures of this prophet from their airwaves has pushed this into the grounds of free speech, which is nonnegotiable and not to be undermined for anything. I don't know what percentage of the Muslim population actually gets offended by images of Muhammad, but here is yet another case where moderate people get to share in the backlash created by their unrestrained radical brethren.

As a gesture not for the sake of offending Muslims, but solidarity with those who defend free speech and even as we speak are living under threat of death from bigoted savages who would kill their own children to see the West destroyed, here's my contribution. Mohammed at a surprise party: :o

What "freedom" do they think they are supporting by taking away the ability to act in whatever ways people see fit? You want tolerance? Look in a mirror.

Agreed. This is the typical hypocrisy you see from the crowd that preaches "be tolerant and inclusive" and pounds their chest about it.

That crowd sure is tolerant and inclusive, as long as you believe exactly how they do.

What "freedom" do they think they are supporting by taking away the ability to act in whatever ways people see fit? You want tolerance? Look in a mirror.

Agreed. This is the typical hypocrisy you see from the crowd that preaches "be tolerant and inclusive" and pounds their chest about it.

That crowd sure is tolerant and inclusive, as long as you believe exactly how they do.

And all religions are guilty of this. It's one of the biggest problems with organized religion - if there is a God, far too often his words are twisted for the purposes of evil men, and the world suffers.

I suppose 'technically' speaking in Christianity, or Judaism at least, making graven images of God is also blasphemous per the second commandment. But show your average Joe a picture of Jesus or God from the beautiful Sistine Chapel and they know who it's supposed to be, and they don't lunge at you with a dagger. Hell, if people don't want coloring books with Mohammed or Jesus in their homes, sweet. But don't be gunning down Dutch filmmakers and mutilating their corpse when they make a documentary about Mohammed, and don't be making Danish cartoonists live with armed guards because of all the death threats.

And all religions are guilty of this. It's one of the biggest problems with organized religion - if there is a God, far too often his words are twisted for the purposes of evil men, and the world suffers.

Agreed. However, I don't see this so much as a problem with religion as a whole, but a mentality. My first issue is with the far left wing in the US, preaching tolerance. But speak out about a "hot button issue" such as homosexuality or illegal immigration, and they label you biggot or a racist. Second, is the problem we have with Islamic facists, those who will happily kill you for being an "infidel." I don't want to include all Muslims in this discussion, because supposedly Islam is not a religion of evil. But the Muslims who do not speak up and denounce this facist mentality are in essence being apathetic and allowing it.

Like Husker X said, I don't know any Christian or Jew who has threatened to kill a cartoonist because of a drawing about their diety, and then wants to hide behind the veil of tolerance.

Agreed. However, I don't see this so much as a problem with religion as a whole, but a mentality. My first issue is with the far left wing in the US, preaching tolerance. But speak out about a "hot button issue" such as homosexuality or illegal immigration, and they label you biggot or a racist. Second, is the problem we have with Islamic facists, those who will happily kill you for being an "infidel." I don't want to include all Muslims in this discussion, because supposedly Islam is not a religion of evil. But the Muslims who do not speak up and denounce this facist mentality are in essence being apathetic and allowing it.

Like Husker X said, I don't know any Christian or Jew who has threatened to kill a cartoonist because of a drawing about their diety, and then wants to hide behind the veil of tolerance.

I agree that this is as much a human condition as a situation created by religion. Religion is just the tool being used, and if religion were to vanish from the face of the earth, bigots would find something else over which to kill "them," whoever their particular "them" is.

My girlfriend and I had a discussion about this yesterday. We couldn't decide if the people who are promoting the draw Mohammed day are just trying to fan the flames or if they are making a valid point about unrestricted speech. I leaned towards the latter and she leaned towards the former. No winner, unfortunately.

My girlfriend and I had a discussion about this yesterday. We couldn't decide if the people who are promoting the draw Mohammed day are just trying to fan the flames or if they are making a valid point about unrestricted speech. I leaned towards the latter and she leaned towards the former. No winner, unfortunately.

Well I'd be happy to settle the debate for you. This is entirely about free speech and has only ever been about free speech. If there hadn't been death threats, assassinations, and intimidation of American television outlets, there would be no Draw Mohammed Day at all. What would the point be? What would the point of a draw Jesus day be unless some Christian whacko sectarians decided that they were going to car bomb someone they thought had offended them.

That's the thing about offense. You don't have the right to not get offended in the United States. The constitution protects my free speech, not their delicate f*#king sensibilities. It's gotten so bad with Islam that we literally have to form ranks and draw targets on all our backs just to protect the freedoms of cartoonists. This is a nonviolent demonstration. If I had my druthers it would be having an open dialogue about the merits of Islam and theism with practicing Muslims, but since that's pretty well out of the question in theocratic countries, this is the best we can do. Good news is its working, as the fundies once again retreat to censorship to protect themselves and demonstrate how sickly and weak their position is.

Well I'd be happy to settle the debate for you. This is entirely about free speech and has only ever been about free speech. If there hadn't been death threats, assassinations, and intimidation of American television outlets, there would be no Draw Mohammed Day at all. What would the point be? What would the point of a draw Jesus day be unless some Christian whacko sectarians decided that they were going to car bomb someone they thought had offended them.

That's the thing about offense. You don't have the right to not get offended in the United States. The constitution protects my free speech, not their delicate f*#king sensibilities. It's gotten so bad with Islam that we literally have to form ranks and draw targets on all our backs just to protect the freedoms of cartoonists. This is a nonviolent demonstration. If I had my druthers it would be having an open dialogue about the merits of Islam and theism with practicing Muslims, but since that's pretty well out of the question in theocratic countries, this is the best we can do. Good news is its working, as the fundies once again retreat to censorship to protect themselves and demonstrate how sickly and weak their position is.

Restriction of free speech by private actors is not against the law. I'm not supporting it . . . but it's not illegal. The Constitution absolutely does NOT protect someone from restricting your speech unless that person is a government actor.

Also, you might reconsider somewhat if you saw the drawings that people are posting on the facebook group. Drawing Mohammed makes a valid point . . . but many (maybe most!) people submitting drawings drew Mohammed as excrement, a monkey, etc. For me, that's crossing the line into baiting. Do and should people have a right to do it? Absolutely. Will I be surprised when it offends Muslims? Nope.

It's a good concept but unfortunately it's being executed by idiots.

Restriction of free speech by private actors is not against the law. I'm not supporting it . . . but it's not illegal. The Constitution absolutely does NOT protect someone from restricting your speech unless that person is a government actor.

Also, you might reconsider somewhat if you saw the drawings that people are posting on the facebook group. Drawing Mohammed makes a valid point . . . but many (maybe most!) people submitting drawings drew Mohammed as excrement, a monkey, etc. For me, that's crossing the line into baiting. Do and should people have a right to do it? Absolutely. Will I be surprised when it offends Muslims? Nope.

No, when Comedy Central caved like a bunch of cowards over South Park's Mohmmad-bear bit, it wasn't illegal, but given the context of what's been going on in the world, it was pathetic. And even John Stewart, so lauded as Mr. Equal Opportunity offense, pulled up his skirt and squeaked, "Well, they pay the bills."

Of course a load of a$$hole$ are going to miss the point and dump on Islam just because they can, but again, that's not the point behind the demonstration. (Though I shed no tears of meanly depicting an Arab warlord who's said to have personally mutilated and executed numerous people). The internet just extrapolates these things beyond where they need to be. I still think that regardless this is an important and worthwhile exercise of our rights.

No, when Comedy Central caved like a bunch of cowards over South Park's Mohmmad-bear bit, it wasn't illegal, but given the context of what's been going on in the world, it was pathetic. And even John Stewart, so lauded as Mr. Equal Opportunity offense, pulled up his skirt and squeaked, "Well, they pay the bills."

Of course a load of a$$hole$ are going to miss the point and dump on Islam just because they can, but again, that's not the point behind the demonstration. (Though I shed no tears of meanly depicting an Arab warlord who's said to have personally mutilated and executed numerous people). The internet just extrapolates these things beyond where they need to be. I still think that regardless this is an important and worthwhile exercise of our rights.

But aren't the extreme drawings counterproductive? I think the most positive outcome that could potentially come out of this whole thing is that islamic extremists will be exposed as the crazies that they are (as if we need more proof . . .). However, I think that if the drawings are so offensive that we are just creating more extremists than the whole thing is causing more problems than raising awareness. If it's just Mohammed as a monkey or excrement I see it as comparable to Christians being offended by the Piss Christ exhibit.

I think the moderate/mainstream Muslims would be more likely to condemn the outcry and marginalize the extremists if there was an outpouring of death threats over smiling stick figure drawings of Mohammed than if the drawings were even more intentionally offensive.

A hateful and unthinking drawing campaign will just fuel the inferno whereas a more thought out campaign of less incendiary images might be able to create a backburn that limits or halts the blaze. (Hopefully that's enough fire metaphors in one sentence.)