2011 Linebackers and Nebraska

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wanted to start a little discussion about the 2011 linebacker class as it pertains to Nebraska. I've read a number of quotes saying we are only taking one linebacker in this class, although I expect us to take a couple.

NU interest - rivals profiles:

Kent Turene

Curtis Grant

Tony Steward

Rob Hankins

Denzel Perryman

Cole Fisher

Keith Lewis

Dexter Moody (JuCo)

Nico Ornelas

Anthony Sarao

Ryan Shazier

Lateek Townsend

David Santos

Rahim Cassell

Anthony Wallace

The latest rumors have surrounded David Santos and his upcoming trip to Lincoln in the next couple weeks. I'd bet that he ends up pulling the trigger and becomes our first (and possibly only) 2011 LB. Santos looks like a great prospect that can play on the inside or outside. It doesn't look like we are on the favorites list with Rob Hankins or Nico Orleans.

Points for discussion:

1. How many do you think we take? If we take two, does Bo and Company want a JUCO kid as one (Dexter Moody)?

2. Who are you personally really high on?

3. Do we offer Cole Fisher?

4. What kind of shot do we have with Curtis Grant or Tony Steward?

5. Does Anthony Sarao re-open his Stanford commitment?

Linebacker interests me this year as we have a bunch of young guys but no one that has established themselves as reliable yet. Also, the Peso thing of having a LB/S/CB hybrid on the field at all times opens the door for a lot of different developments. Does Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson end up in the Peso spot? What about current 2011 verbal Daimion Stafford?

It's the offseason, I'm bored....let's talk LBs.

• Fire 2

I wanted to start a little discussion about the 2011 linebacker class as it pertains to Nebraska. I've read a number of quotes saying we are only taking one linebacker in this class, although I expect us to take a couple.

NU interest - rivals profiles:

Kent Turene

Curtis Grant

Tony Steward

Rob Hankins

Denzel Perryman

Cole Fisher

Keith Lewis

Dexter Moody (JuCo)

Nico Ornelas

Anthony Sarao

Ryan Shazier

Lateek Townsend

David Santos

Rahim Cassell

Anthony Wallace

The latest rumors have surrounded David Santos and his upcoming trip to Lincoln in the next couple weeks. I'd bet that he ends up pulling the trigger and becomes our first (and possibly only) 2011 LB. Santos looks like a great prospect that can play on the inside or outside. It doesn't look like we are on the favorites list with Rob Hankins or Nico Orleans.

Points for discussion:

1. How many do you think we take? If we take two, does Bo and Company want a JUCO kid as one (Dexter Moody)?

2. Who are you personally really high on?

3. Do we offer Cole Fisher?

4. What kind of shot do we have with Curtis Grant or Tony Steward?

5. Does Anthony Sarao re-open his Stanford commitment?

Linebacker interests me this year as we have a bunch of young guys but no one that has established themselves as reliable yet. Also, the Peso thing of having a LB/S/CB hybrid on the field at all times opens the door for a lot of different developments. Does Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson end up in the Peso spot? What about current 2011 verbal Daimion Stafford?

It's the offseason, I'm bored....let's talk LBs.

First off, great topic skerchicago!

1. I think we take two, one juco (moody) for imediate help, second sanots, lewis, sarao take your pick.

2. I love the heck out of Lewis, Steward, Grant, Santos, and Sarao. (NO shot on Grant, and Steward)

3. Unfortunatly I dnt think so

4. Unless Grant visits inthe fall, thenno shot. Steward is a way way long shot. If the defense cruises like last year then maybe. Having Ekeler helps.

5. He visits loves us, between us and Stanford. He gets accpeted into Stanford, firms his committment. (travis stephens 2009)

Stafford is a hybrid, Rover/Monster/PESO. Hes a beast.

Jackson is a PESO back, Cooper is a Strong Safety I suspect (Larry Asante, PJ Smith)

Couldn't really tell you, Sker. I have a feeling Santos will commit, but how the coaches handle it from there? :dunno

Will they take two? :dunno

Needless to say, the LB recruiting process just got a hell of a lot more interesting over the past week.

i don't know a great deal about the individuals we're recruiting, but i sure hope we take two LB's this class. we took zero high school linebackers last year. i'd prefer two HS (and one juco if there's a good one out there), but i'd settle for one HS and one juco.

i don't know a great deal about the individuals we're recruiting, but i sure hope we take two LB's this class. we took zero high school linebackers last year. i'd prefer two HS (and one juco if there's a good one out there), but i'd settle for one HS and one juco.

FYI, the JUCO LB we're looking at this year is a 3 for 3 guy.

FYI, the JUCO LB we're looking at this year is a 3 for 3 guy.

cool, thanks. i'd be OK with him and a HS LB then, assuming both are high quality prospects of course.

I wonder if Cole Fisher will get an NU offer. If he's anything like Sean he's gonna have a hard time seeing the field anywhere because he's pretty between sizes and speed for LB or S

If you believe the coaches, the lights turned on this spring for Sean and he is our most improved defensive player. I think they also stated that he would be the linebacker to stay on the field when we're in the dime. If Cole's knee is fully recovered, I fully expect him to get an offer.

I wonder if Cole Fisher will get an NU offer. If he's anything like Sean he's gonna have a hard time seeing the field anywhere because he's pretty between sizes and speed for LB or S

If you believe the coaches, the lights turned on this spring for Sean and he is our most improved defensive player. I think they also stated that he would be the linebacker to stay on the field when we're in the dime. If Cole's knee is fully recovered, I fully expect him to get an offer.

the coaches were supposedly high on sean before last season, too and i wasn't impressed. he was a freshman though and did show some improvement this spring, so i hope that shows up in the fall. in any case, he has already seen the field plenty and should continue to as he fills out and improves.

i think santos will commit at camp or a little after camp.. now moody it will be awile because he wants to go bck home so u dont no.... and i think sarao will probably open it bck up and probably become a husker and i think we could take up to 3 depending on who they are.... i just hve a feeling about sarao and coach bo isnt gonna deny any linebacker with the talent tht both sarao or santos so if they both want in including moody then we will take 3 just remember guys we hve 24 or 25 schollies we can fill this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Added Sarao and Shazier to the original question....you can delete your vote to re-vote if you'd like.

I was highest on Tre Madden before he committed to USC. His video was great...smart, nose for the ball, etc. I do really like Santos as well and hopes he pulls the trigger during/just after his visit. I'm not 100% sold yet on Sarao.

Definitely agree that Corey Cooper is a straight up saftey and Stafford has a chance at the Peso spot (that is if we still use it next year). We have to remember college football is cyclical and the spread trend is already starting to see less followers (Kansas, Texas, maybe even Tech a little).

The Sean Fisher stuff does seem a little like coach speak. They talked about him like this last year as well and he was very average last season. It also seems like the staff is not sold on Cole at all. We are still offering new LBs but he keeps getting passed over. Just today we offered Keeon Virgile, an OLB from Florida (according to scout).

Added Sarao and Shazier to the original question....you can delete your vote to re-vote if you'd like.

I was highest on Tre Madden before he committed to USC. His video was great...smart, nose for the ball, etc. I do really like Santos as well and hopes he pulls the trigger during/just after his visit. I'm not 100% sold yet on Sarao.

Definitely agree that Corey Cooper is a straight up saftey and Stafford has a chance at the Peso spot (that is if we still use it next year). We have to remember college football is cyclical and the spread trend is already starting to see less followers (Kansas, Texas, maybe even Tech a little).

The Sean Fisher stuff does seem a little like coach speak. They talked about him like this last year as well and he was very average last season. It also seems like the staff is not sold on Cole at all. We are still offering new LBs but he keeps getting passed over. Just today we offered Keeon Virgile, an OLB from Florida (according to scout).

Man, if Stafford comes back and becomes a force, it'll have been a weird road from modest recruit to hyped player, to invisible, back to hyped player again. Everyone gets a little hype though, it's ok.

I think a big part of us not offering Cole is we want to see him at camp and he hasn't really heated up on the recruiting trail yet. Everyone wants to know about the knee. The thing is if he camps well and the knee checks out fine we will probably offer and he will committ (he has said as much in interviews). This would be great if the coaches think he is worth it, but it will keep his offer list down because everyone is so worried about him.

Man, if Stafford comes back and becomes a force, it'll have been a weird road from modest recruit to hyped player, to invisible, back to hyped player again. Everyone gets a little hype though, it's ok.

Huh? Are you confusing Austin Stafford, who's gone from the team and Daimion Stafford our Juco committ?

Huh? Are you confusing Austin Stafford, who's gone from the team and Daimion Stafford our Juco committ?

Oops. Were you talking about Daimion? I mistook it for Austin then.