Is this really a 'Done Deal'?

I've been reading about this for weeks now and the conclusion is always the same: Nebraska has NOT been officially invited and Nebraska has NOT made any final decisions. So it seems like 'much ado about nothing'.?? I'm just frustrated I guess because all of these rumors are flying around and I'm sorry but I refuse to believe anything that ESPN says about Nebraska. I guess we will all know by Friday.

I'm older than dirt and would hate to see the Big 12 dissolve. I hate Texas though. Let them leave. Was the Big 8 so bad without them? This is our house, why should we have to leave it. HOWEVER, an Iowa-Nebraska game once in awhile would be awesome.

I also wonder about how this will look to the other sports at NU-has anyone talked to John Cook about leaving the Big 12? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

But in the end, Dr. Tom is a level head when all about him are losing theirs. I'm sure whatever decision is made, he will have had a huge say in it. We'll see.

P.S. If this has already been discussed, I apologize.

I think John Cook is okay with it. You have to like the idea of NU vs Penn St. in volleyball on a regular basis. Not only that, Cook used to coach at Wisconsin before coming back to NU to take over after Pettit retired, so he's already familiar with Big Ten volleyball.

As for the rumors, I know it can be mind boggling and downright frustrating at times, but if you're savvy enough to read between the lines, there is movement going on behind-the-scenes. The parties involved are just playing it close to the vest until all the paperwork is cleared and formalities met before making it official to the public. What we do know for sure is that the Nebraska Regents will meet on Friday afternoon and one of the main topics of discussion will be conference re-alignment. Like I said, it's a formality since Perlman and Osborne have to get the approval from the Regents in order to make it official. Once it's approved, then they'll hold a press conference either Friday or Saturday.

Hello 'Nexus'

Thank you for your intelligent reply! I am very impressed. :) It has helped to relieve some of my stress about the situation. I see that CU has already left (which doesn't bother me in the least) It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday. I'm just angry that Texas came in and took over our house and now they're going to burn it down just like they did when they were in the SEC. To me they are like a cancer that destroys any conference they join.

I don't know why they don't start their own conference. They have more than enough teams to make it work. Then they could leave everyone else alone.

I'm sad to see the old Big 8 break up but if truth be known this was probably inevitable. It's bittersweet.

Thanks again for responding,

ladyhawke~

I think John Cook is okay with it. You have to like the idea of NU vs Penn St. in volleyball on a regular basis. Not only that, Cook used to coach at Wisconsin before coming back to NU to take over after Pettit retired, so he's already familiar with Big Ten volleyball.

As for the rumors, I know it can be mind boggling and downright frustrating at times, but if you're savvy enough to read between the lines, there is movement going on behind-the-scenes. The parties involved are just playing it close to the vest until all the paperwork is cleared and formalities met before making it official to the public. What we do know for sure is that the Nebraska Regents will meet on Friday afternoon and one of the main topics of discussion will be conference re-alignment. Like I said, it's a formality since Perlman and Osborne have to get the approval from the Regents in order to make it official. Once it's approved, then they'll hold a press conference either Friday or Saturday.

As much as Texas has been a pain for Nebraska, I really do not beleive this move would have been possible if not for them and the revenue they pumped into the Big 12. The Big 8 had no future in the landscape of college athletics, there just wasn't enough population in the Big 8 states to survive. Texas brought money and population to the conference, and kept the Big 12 relevant while we went through the Callahan years and the rest of the North plodded along. OU would have been the only decent school in the Big 8 during the Callahan years. So IMO, Texas saved the Big 8, but killed the Big 12.

And you answer your question, it's as close to a done deal as we can get without it being done. It's 99.99% green lighted, but whenever legal issues and politics are involved, there's always an outside chance of it falling apart.

Hello 'Nexus'

Thank you for your intelligent reply! I am very impressed. :) It has helped to relieve some of my stress about the situation. I see that CU has already left (which doesn't bother me in the least) It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday. I'm just angry that Texas came in and took over our house and now they're going to burn it down just like they did when they were in the SEC. To me they are like a cancer that destroys any conference they join.

I don't know why they don't start their own conference. They have more than enough teams to make it work. Then they could leave everyone else alone.

I'm sad to see the old Big 8 break up but if truth be known this was probably inevitable. It's bittersweet.

Thanks again for responding,

ladyhawke~

No problem. We'll just have to embrace this new change and hope for the best. We're Nebraska. We'll be fine no matter where we go. thumbsup.gif

As much as Texas has been a pain for Nebraska, I really do not beleive this move would have been possible if not for them and the revenue they pumped into the Big 12. The Big 8 had no future in the landscape of college athletics, there just wasn't enough population in the Big 8 states to survive. Texas brought money and population to the conference, and kept the Big 12 relevant while we went through the Callahan years and the rest of the North plodded along. OU would have been the only decent school in the Big 8 during the Callahan years. So IMO, Texas saved the Big 8, but killed the Big 12.

And you answer your question, it's as close to a done deal as we can get without it being done. It's 99.99% green lighted, but whenever legal issues and politics are involved, there's always an outside chance of it falling apart.

IMO if the Big 8 doesn't invite the SWC refugees to form the Big XII, T.O. coaches for a while longer. There would then be no need to hire Callahan.

i am gonna laugh when this all falls apart only nd goes and we are still stuck in the big 12...look out friday

Do you really think that deals like this are so tenuous that Nebraska would, by words spoken and unspoken, actions taken and not taken, put themselves in a position to be out of a conference based on a rumor?

This is the real world.