Big Ten Need To Know

abox03

First of all...as an Ohio State fan, it's great to welcome some competition into the conference!! Just kidding to my B10 brethren. There are some things you should know about each team...I saw a list previously, but wanted to start a new topic. Feel free to comment or add on it as you see fit.

Penn State: Joined in 1990, Football in 92 I believe. For those husker fans who think that they can come in an dominate the Big Ten, you need only look to the lions. They have won only 3 big ten titles (only one outright) in football since joining (94, 05, 08). They have a rabid fan base and a great stadium and awesome blue band. Just be sure Memorial stadium has a bathroom close by for JoPa.

Ohio State: Obviously the blue chip of the league in football as of late. 5 consecutive Big Ten titles and 6 of the 10 the past decade. The shoe is an amazing and loud environment along with The Best Damn Band in the Land and Script Ohio. We have a rabid fan base too that can be a bit overwhelming at time, but take it all in stride and realize not ALL buckeye fans are nuts/idiots, just most :).

Michigan: Where to begin. Arrogant. They think they are above the rest of the conference. The big house is...big...but not very loud and resembles a large hole in the ground. In a bit of peril right now with RichRod, but they wont be down forever. OSU v Michigan is big, even if they CLAIM that MSU is bigger.

MSU: Beautiful campus. Nice place to watch a game on a fall afternoon. Thing about MSU though...no matter how good a season they start...they always screw it up in the end. If NU plays them early...watch out...however if they are on your schedule late in the season...some disasterous even will have already happened and they will be in a free fall. Always happens. But good luck getting a win in the Breslin Center.

Indiana: Football practice. Assembly hall is rich with history, even if IU bball hasn't been the greatest of late.

Purdue: SNEAKY. They haven't been truly good in FBall since Drew Brees yet they somehow seem to take an upset each year. Good Basketball.

Northwestern: GREAT school. Really good at the olympic sports. Occasionally have a basketball upset or two. Football is on the way up, but will probably never consistently be in the top 3. Just dont sleep on them, they are capable of beating you.

Illinois: Football is a mess right but, but they have lots of tradition. They will get it back (without Zook I would imagine) and be formidable again. Weber and basketball is good and assembly hall (illini version) is an orange crush of a good time.

Wisconsin: Camp Randall Stadium and the jump around are fun times. Wisky seems to do well in football year in and year out, yet seem to falter in one game they should win. Any trip to Madtown is a tough go...be it Camp Randall or the Kohl Center...getting a win in Madison is like conquering a virgin..it can be done, but man is it hard.

Minneosta: New stadium and good facilites. Their FB program is on the upswing and will be back. The Barn is just a cool place with the elevated floor. Tubby smith is a good coach too.

Iowa: Not impressed with kinnick stadium but their fans are rabid. Always seem to put out of competitive football and basketball product.

Finally, the Big Ten is more than just playing football on Saturdays or cramming in basketball arenas in the winter. We have a mutual respect athletically and academically for all other Big Ten members. We root for them (even Michigan...well sometimes Michigan) against other out of conference foes. I realize the Big 12 had issues with Texas and others controlling things, but the Big Ten is equal from NW to Ohio State and that works best for us. So welcome to the Big Ten (or whatever it is to be called) and this buckeye will be rooting for you to succeed (unless of course you are in Columbus).

First of all...as an Ohio State fan, it's great to welcome some competition into the conference!! Just kidding to my B10 brethren. There are some things you should know about each team...I saw a list previously, but wanted to start a new topic. Feel free to comment or add on it as you see fit.

Penn State: Joined in 1990, Football in 92 I believe. For those husker fans who think that they can come in an dominate the Big Ten, you need only look to the lions. They have won only 3 big ten titles (only one outright) in football since joining (94, 05, 08). They have a rabid fan base and a great stadium and awesome blue band. Just be sure Memorial stadium has a bathroom close by for JoPa.

Ohio State: Obviously the blue chip of the league in football as of late. 5 consecutive Big Ten titles and 6 of the 10 the past decade. The shoe is an amazing and loud environment along with The Best Damn Band in the Land and Script Ohio. We have a rabid fan base too that can be a bit overwhelming at time, but take it all in stride and realize not ALL buckeye fans are nuts/idiots, just most :).

Michigan: Where to begin. Arrogant. They think they are above the rest of the conference. The big house is...big...but not very loud and resembles a large hole in the ground. In a bit of peril right now with RichRod, but they wont be down forever. OSU v Michigan is big, even if they CLAIM that MSU is bigger.

MSU: Beautiful campus. Nice place to watch a game on a fall afternoon. Thing about MSU though...no matter how good a season they start...they always screw it up in the end. If NU plays them early...watch out...however if they are on your schedule late in the season...some disasterous even will have already happened and they will be in a free fall. Always happens. But good luck getting a win in the Breslin Center.

Indiana: Football practice. Assembly hall is rich with history, even if IU bball hasn't been the greatest of late.

Purdue: SNEAKY. They haven't been truly good in FBall since Drew Brees yet they somehow seem to take an upset each year. Good Basketball.

Northwestern: GREAT school. Really good at the olympic sports. Occasionally have a basketball upset or two. Football is on the way up, but will probably never consistently be in the top 3. Just dont sleep on them, they are capable of beating you.

Illinois: Football is a mess right but, but they have lots of tradition. They will get it back (without Zook I would imagine) and be formidable again. Weber and basketball is good and assembly hall (illini version) is an orange crush of a good time.

Wisconsin: Camp Randall Stadium and the jump around are fun times. Wisky seems to do well in football year in and year out, yet seem to falter in one game they should win. Any trip to Madtown is a tough go...be it Camp Randall or the Kohl Center...getting a win in Madison is like conquering a virgin..it can be done, but man is it hard.

Minneosta: New stadium and good facilites. Their FB program is on the upswing and will be back. The Barn is just a cool place with the elevated floor. Tubby smith is a good coach too.

Iowa: Not impressed with kinnick stadium but their fans are rabid. Always seem to put out of competitive football and basketball product.

Finally, the Big Ten is more than just playing football on Saturdays or cramming in basketball arenas in the winter. We have a mutual respect athletically and academically for all other Big Ten members. We root for them (even Michigan...well sometimes Michigan) against other out of conference foes. I realize the Big 12 had issues with Texas and others controlling things, but the Big Ten is equal from NW to Ohio State and that works best for us. So welcome to the Big Ten (or whatever it is to be called) and this buckeye will be rooting for you to succeed (unless of course you are in Columbus).

Good rundown Buckeye fan. Can you imagine ABC coverage of Nebraska @ Ohio State?! Gonna be amazing.

Welcome to HuskerBoard abox03. thumbsup.gif

What's good with you, Caven? Haven't seen you around much these past couple days.

Been reading it all on both boards - but due to an outbreak of stupid chest beating on both boards I have just been lurking so as to not say something that I will be sorry to have committed to writing. I figure it will all calm down soon and the people that are just showing up to spout off but don't actually participate will be gone. I am working up a full map showing parking, tailgating and places of note in the Iowa City area to post once this is all actually official. Don't want to jinx things at the last minute :)

OK I guess I'm biased here but Kinnick is a great place to watch a game (if you can get a ticket). The stands are no more than 10 yards from the sidelines so you are literally right on top of the action, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. We've got two nice video screens for replays, a top notch pressbox complete with luxury suites. It's certainly not state of the art, but it's a great blend of a throwback stadium with some new technology. It's also damn loud being closed in all four directions. It holds little more than 70k so again it's a tough ticket. It's also smack dab in the middle of a college neighborhood so tailgating is a blast.

Regardless other than that it's a pretty spot on review. Expect fOSU to be in the hunt for the title year in and year out with PSU, Wisky, and Iowa in the running every 3rd year or so.

Also be aware that in the B10 we actually play defense (even if we can't spell it). You won't be the only team in the conference that does anymore.

Penn State: Yankees.

Ohio State: Yankees who worship nuts.

Michigan: Arrogant yankees with annoying accents.

MSU: Yankees with annoying accents

Indiana: Yankees who can't play football.

Purdue: Yankees who drive trains.

Northwestern: Purple yankees.

Illinois: No chief yankees.

Wisconsin: Husker wannabe midwesterners.

Minneosta: Raised BB court midwesterners.

Iowa: Aggrivating midwesterners.

;)

Penn State: Yankees.

Ohio State: Yankees who worship nuts.

Michigan: Arrogant yankees with annoying accents.

MSU: Yankees with annoying accents

Indiana: Yankees who can't play football.

Purdue: Yankees who drive trains.

Northwestern: Purple yankees.

Illinois: No chief yankees.

Wisconsin: Husker wannabe midwesterners.

Minneosta: Raised BB court midwesterners.

Iowa: Aggrivating midwesterners.

;)

Have one for Nebraska? :)