big 10 expansion

ronsss

now that nu is in the big 10, at least it looks like a done deal, what are your thoughts of the big 10 adding a couple more schools..i had been thinking about it, and i believe that they will add a couple more. texas is in an situition, where ever they go, its going to have to travel, cannot get around it...so why would the big 10 not ask texas? and missouri seems like a logical pick too. maybe texas and notre dame, wow, some high powered schools in football for sure. i would say some of the leftovers from the big 12 will be added to the big 10....what are your thoughts on this?

wasn't it a missouri radio guy that that recently (maybe 1.5 months ago) go this whole expansion thing started up hot and heavy stating that it was essentially a done deal and that missery and nebraska were both bolting to the big 10? ooops. and least they got the nebraska part right.

well they must know something.... they dont want to stick around unless they know that everything is gonna be done to save the b12... of course they must have an contigency plan in place right?

but then again so did BP and look how that turned out

:facepalm::facepalm:

For what it's worth, this whole expansion deal initially revolved around Notre Dame (and I'm just a fan, so all this is speculation).

You guys became available once all the discussions and posturing started, and emerged as a total no-brainer fit for the conference. I don't think people were thinking of you guys early on, because at that point, it was still possible that we were going to 12 teams total, and that one team would have to be Notre Dame.

But once it became inevitable that some conferences were going to crumble, you guys make total sense. Notre Dame makes total sense.

Texas makes a lot of sense, but they have some extra political baggage that needs to be dumped, and they also need to know that they would join the Big Ten as an equal member, something they haven't had to deal with in the past. Texas might be a HUGE school from athletics/revenue/TV market/etc perspective, but rest assured, the Big Ten is so stable that adding Texas just makes sense; the survival in no ways depends on that though.

So you guys are in, Notre Dame is ASSUMED (because...if they don't, this whole shakeup is going to be questionable). If Texas comes, they might have to drag aTm with them, and that leaves one more spot. That spot could be any of Missouri, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, UConn, or Kansas.

If Texas DOESN'T come, then that's three open spots, and then it could be any of the names mentioned above.

Should be an interesting few weeks here (pieces should start to fall in place quickly though, at this point).

For what it's worth, this whole expansion deal initially revolved around Notre Dame (and I'm just a fan, so all this is speculation).

You guys became available once all the discussions and posturing started, and emerged as a total no-brainer fit for the conference. I don't think people were thinking of you guys early on, because at that point, it was still possible that we were going to 12 teams total, and that one team would have to be Notre Dame.

But once it became inevitable that some conferences were going to crumble, you guys make total sense. Notre Dame makes total sense.

Texas makes a lot of sense, but they have some extra political baggage that needs to be dumped, and they also need to know that they would join the Big Ten as an equal member, something they haven't had to deal with in the past. Texas might be a HUGE school from athletics/revenue/TV market/etc perspective, but rest assured, the Big Ten is so stable that adding Texas just makes sense; the survival in no ways depends on that though.

So you guys are in, Notre Dame is ASSUMED (because...if they don't, this whole shakeup is going to be questionable). If Texas comes, they might have to drag aTm with them, and that leaves one more spot. That spot could be any of Missouri, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, UConn, or Kansas.

If Texas DOESN'T come, then that's three open spots, and then it could be any of the names mentioned above.

Should be an interesting few weeks here (pieces should start to fall in place quickly though, at this point).

how does the play of other schools poaching big-east schools fit into ND choice to align with the big-10 i am sure is finally sinking in and playing a bigger role now more than ever.......

I think that about sums it up. In the begging, we (at least my understanding of B10 posters/commentary) was that this was merely another push for Notre Dame to get off their lazy independant rear ends and finally pony up with the B10.

After ND said no, or atleast hinted that way, all the blogging and commentary went to bigger, better prizes - UT and NU. Then it went toward the idea of 14, or even 16 teams for a super-conference, which is when all the speculation started, while NU became one of the 'must haves' for a conference that was going to actually get BETTER. After all, if the B10 got teams like Rutgers, Syracuse, and Missouri....Well, no offense, but it wouldn't really improve the conference, would it?

Now that NU is onboard, we can be happy with whatever happens. Unless Delany decides to do something awful, and pad us with east coast teams, whatever happens will be A-OK in my book. We netted the pretty hot country girl, so anyone else that comes along, is just a bonus.

I think Texas and their hanger-ons are going to the Pac X. My dream scenario would be Neb/Notre dame/rut/Maryland/Cuse, and then split the conference into four pods

Pod 1 - Nebraska, MN, Iowa, WI

Pod 2 - Illinois, Notre dame, Purdue, Indiana

Pod 3 - Mich St, Mich, OSU, Northwestern

pod 4 - PSU, Rut, Maryland, Cuse

Pod 1 and 4 are obvious. Pods 2 and 3 can be shuffled around a bit.

I think Texas and their hanger-ons are going to the Pac X. My dream scenario would be Neb/Notre dame/rut/Maryland/Cuse, and then split the conference into four pods

i like that. that would be a great bball conference as well.

how does the play of other schools poaching big-east schools fit into ND choice to align with the big-10 i am sure is finally sinking in and playing a bigger role now more than ever.......

Well, nobody really knows. Notre Dame's fans, especially the older ones, would rather die than join a conference, especially the Big Ten. It goes back to the time of the Revolutionary War, I think...

At any rate, last time around, we didn't have the Big Ten Network, they had that HUGE NBC contract, and they were one of the best teams in the land. There were so many conferences that it didn't really matter if they were independent, and they were able to jerk the BCS around to get a sweet deal.

Fast-forward to 2010/2011. There is a real possibility that the BCS is going to be completely changed, that conference affiliation might actually be a requirement. That NBC contract PALES in comparison to the BTN revenue sharing (which you share equally no matter how your team does this year or that), Comcast might kill that contract anyway once the NBC sale goes through, and Notre Dame's football is on a down-swing.

My guess is that the Notre Dame admins (who wanted to join last time around) are probably asking the Big Ten to set things in motion so that they can gracefully make an offer that will allow them to save face with the bluebloods in their ranks. That will require some conferences to crumble (see: Big 12, Big East), and the Big Ten to get some additional teams in front of Notre Dame (see: Nebraska, Texas/Missouri/Rutgers/?), but I think it will inevitably work out.

The biggest question at this point is what will Texas do, and if they go the way of the Big Ten, will they be dragging someone with them? The hope is that if Texas DOES come (which would be GREAT for everyone in the Big Ten AND Texas), they can come alone (another Texas team would add almost no value), and then we can either expand a big to the south/east (Missouri?) or try to find a way to capture the New York market (Syracuse/Rutgers along with Notre Dame).

If Texas doesn't join (which I'd peg at about 33% at this point), then this is a very likely scenario. I think to capture the NY market, it's going to require all three of Rutgers, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. None of them could do it alone, not even Notre Dame.